Home General Fishing

Moral Dilemma

NitzeyNitzey Posts: 180 Deckhand
 The other day I was walking along the bay, and I saw two men who i surmised were homeless. But they had a cast net, and were casting along the seawall. And I looked in their  bucket and they had two huge sheepshead; must’ve been 10 pounds or more.  I remarked on their good catch. But, I wondered if I was an FWC officer, would I have given them a ticket for using illegal means? If it were me, I probably would not have.

Replies

• Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 174 Deckhand
    Everyone’s moral compass is different. If it were me though, going by what you laid out I would let them know this was illegal and tell them to move along and educate them on what they can/can’t keep. A few homeless people keeping fishing isn’t the issue. The issue is when one of our “fishing navy seals” confronts them and it goes south from there. 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,333 Captain
    edited September 2019 #4
    And what you two would have done would have probably been harassment. They were within the law, and you need to learn the law and mind your own business. Thank god we have moral people to enforce laws they made up
    You should have been here yesterday
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,577 Captain
    Everyone’s moral compass is different. If it were me though, going by what you laid out I would let them know this was illegal and tell them to move along and educate them on what they can/can’t keep. A few homeless people keeping fishing isn’t the issue. The issue is when one of our “fishing navy seals” confronts them and it goes south from there. 
    It isn't illegal.  
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Last I knew, it is also legal to catch & keep reds, trout, snook, flounder, etc. with a cast net when in season and within the specified sizes.

Learn the regulations before you start trying to enforce them.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,063 Admiral
    edited September 2019 #7
    Rich M said:
    Last I knew, it is also legal to catch & keep reds, trout, snook, flounder, etc. with a cast net when in season and within the specified sizes.

• Cast nets and seines may be used as harvesting gear for the following species only: black drum, bluefish, cobia, flounder, mullet, Florida pompano, red drum, sheepshead, shrimp, Spanish mackerel, weakfish and unregulated species (see p. 12).
    http://www.eregulations.com/florida/fishing/saltwater/recreational-gear/
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 706 Officer
    Rich M said:

Ahem...
    I could be wrong but if it is a Game fish it's hook and line only, and some even have hook rules (Snook) no treble and bait

edited September 2019 #10
    No treble for snook...  never heard that one before.  Unless you mean no treble when using bait?  I think you might be.
    edited September 2019 #11
    I could be wrong but if it is a Game fish it's hook and line only, and some even have hook rules (Snook) no treble and bait

You are wrong. Definitely legal to cast net sheepies. Certainly not sporting, but legal....Correct about trebs with bait
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,463 Officer
    Btw, also legal to cast net a cobia. That is something I’d like to see :D
    Did it, accidently,  while throwing at white bait. 40+" cobia shredded my net. I about fell out the boat.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    Btw, also legal to cast net a cobia. That is something I’d like to see :D
    Did it, accidently,  while throwing at white bait. 40+" cobia shredded my net. I about fell out the boat.
    I can imagine that mess. A cobia that big and completely green is a strong fish
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,304 Captain
    Nitzey said:
     The other day I was walking along the bay, and I saw two men who i surmised were homeless. But they had a cast net, and were casting along the seawall. And I looked in their  bucket and they had two huge sheepshead; must’ve been 10 pounds or more.  I remarked on their good catch. But, I wondered if I was an FWC officer, would I have given them a ticket for using illegal means? If it were me, I probably would not have.
    Not likely a 10 lb. sheepie.
    Probably small black drum.

You are wrong. Definitely legal to cast net sheepies. Certainly not sporting, but legal....Correct about trebs with bait
    Sheepshead are a regulated nongame species

Rich M said:

Guess we all learned something - I don't net for fish other than finger mullet and pinfish/pigfish. 

Was going off what some guy told me who used to cast net for everything - he's dead now, about 10 years.  So, maybe that's the old rules.  

Guess I should keep my mouth shut.   :p  
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Rich M said:
    Rich M said:

Guess we all learned something - I don't net for fish other than finger mullet and pinfish/pigfish. 

Was going off what some guy told me who used to cast net for everything - he's dead now, about 10 years.  So, maybe that's the old rules.  

Guess I should keep my mouth shut.   :p  
    This place would be a lot less entertaining if nobody ever shot from the hip! Certainly have done so a few times myself over the years 

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 205 Deckhand
    lots of misinformation here concerning legal or not, moral or not. maybe everyone should have fwc website on their computer favorites. the regs change so fast, it doesn't hurt to check what is current every month. as far as morality goes, that is nothing but opinion. if it is legal, morals have nothing to do with it. if you prefer catch and release, thats fine. if you like to eat fish, your legal limit is also fine. jmo
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 174 Deckhand
    I stand corrected :)
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 706 Officer
    lots of misinformation here concerning legal or not, moral or not. maybe everyone should have fwc website on their computer favorites. the regs change so fast, it doesn't hurt to check what is current every month. as far as morality goes, that is nothing but opinion. if it is legal, morals have nothing to do with it. if you prefer catch and release, thats fine. if you like to eat fish, your legal limit is also fine. jmo
    Spending time going over the FWC website might not even do any good.  Some of this info is really esoteric and super hard to pin down in the regulations.  Couple that with the FWC making the decision to massively dumb down the information they put up on their web site and a historically bad IT infrastructure within the agency.  Can't really blame folks for not getting it exactly right the first time.
  • MynkiMynki UKPosts: 11 Greenhorn
    Nitzey said:

It's legal so I'd leave them to it and mind my own business. 

As for morality, I don't know anything about their personal situation so I'd not be judgmental either. 
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,246 Admiral
    edited September 2019 #23

Gear Requirements:

• Allowable Gear: Hook and line; cast net

Gear requirements:

• Legal Gear: hook and line, cast nets
    • Illegal Gear: Spearing (includes spearfishing, gigging and bowfishing) and/or use of multiple hooks in conjunction with live or dead natural bait is prohibited
    https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/sheepshead/

Gear Requirements:

• Legal Gear: hook and line, cast net, seine, spear or gig
    • Illegal Gear: Harvest prohibited by or with the use of any multiple hook in conjunction with live or dead natural bait; Snatching prohibited

License Requirements: Snook permit and recreational fishing license

Allowable Gear: Hook and line only

Regulations

Atlantic

(state and adjacent federal waters, includes Lake Okeechobee and Kissimmee River)

Season: Closed Dec. 15-Jan. 31 and June 1-Aug. 31

Slot Limit: Not less than 28" or more than 32" total length

Daily Bag Limit: 1 per harvester per day; zero captain and crew for-hire limit

Gulf, Monroe County, Everglades National Park

(state and adjacent federal waters)

Season: Closed Dec. 1-end of February and May 1-Aug. 31 NOTE: All state waters from the Pasco/Hernando county line through Gordon Pass in Collier County is catch-and-release ONLY through Aug. 31, 2020

Slot Limit: Not less than 28" or more than 33" total length

Daily Bag Limit: 1 per harvester per day; zero captain and crew for-hire limit

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

I usually check what I go fishing for before I go.  Not much more than that.

Have no need for cast net, reef, pelagic regulations if just hook & line catching trout & reds.  Have no need for inshore stuff if just reef fishing, and no reef fishing or inshore if trolling mahi, etc.

It really is amazing how much things have changed and how complicated it has gotten.  Not even talking about seasonal closures and fed vs state rules.  You can get dizzy if trying to memorize them.  Wasn't all that long ago I was saying duck hunting regulations were more complicated than the fishing ones and they went ahead and fixed that.

Spiney's post says trout is legal via castnet.  Went and checked - red is legal via castnet - snook is hook & line only.
    If you've caught a snook lately, chances are you broke the law doing it.

I'm not talking about the law that limits you to keeping just two fish a day, no shorter than 24 inches and only one of which may be longer than 34 inches.

And I'm not talking about the law that says you must release unharmed any snook caught in the months of January, February, June, July or August.

Nor am I referring to the law that says you must have a saltwater fishing license, complete with a $2 snook stamp, if you're snook fishing from a boat (but not land).

The law in question says it is illegal for anyone who has any kind of net with him to possess a snook.

That's not just those 300-yard-long commercial fishing nets, but any net.

That includes the landing nets conscientious anglers use to ensure minimum handling of any snook they might release.

And it also includes the cast nets many anglers use to catch the fingerling mullet that they later put on a hook and line and use to catch a snook.

It even includes the tiny dip nets you use to get one of those 5-inch fingerlings out of your bait bucket.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1991-11-17-9111170525-story.html

Deja vu
    I'll use a landing net all day.  I can't fathom being ticketed.
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 205 Deckhand
    saw an fwc officer this morning at the boat ramp and asked him about the landing net thing. he never heard of anyone being ticketed for that. hope that helps. also, getting a fwc booklet and reading the regs can help understand better. all the little symbols by each species are important to know the meaning of.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,694 Admiral
    Technically a overzealous officer could cite a person for having a goldfish net on board but "most" officers use common sense but there are always a few who don't. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• NitzeyNitzey Posts: 180 Deckhand
     I have a fish rules app on my phone.  it is not comprehensive but it helps a lot. By the way, I did not confront these guys. I congratulated them on their good catch.  I was simply wondering what was the right thing to do if I were in FWC officer.   A couple of years ago I caught a huge redfish in my cast net.   He was as stunned as I was. He was oversized but I would have let him go no matter what size he was. BTW I know a sheepshead when I see one. We have one in our aquarium.
    How big is your tank?
    they do have a size limit

#justsaying