Splice, Splice Baby

I hate loosing a anchor. Time to make a new rode. 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Contender 27 Cuddy

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski AG GrovelandPosts: 10,995 AG
    Nice work!
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Officer Homosassa, FLPosts: 517 Officer
    Looks nice!  How come you don't use a thimble?  Isn't that a bit stronger?  Just asking!  
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Officer Posts: 1,293 Officer
    edited August 23 #4
    Boats with a windlass do not use thimbles so the chain can pass though it. The purpose of a thimble is so you can change the anchor type or its size, not for strength.
    Giimoozaabi
    "Boats with a windlass do not use thimbles so the chain can pass though it."  Makes sense to me.  My big boats just didn't have a windless or I might have known.  Thanks.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Officer Posts: 577 Officer
    Don’t have windlass but the splice is plenty strong. Thimble would add another shackle. I just prefer the minimalist approach when it comes to ground tackle. I used all of my 400 hp to try and get last one loose and had to cut rope. It’s about 5’ from riverhaven gazebo if anyone else wants to try and find it. Nice Fortress with stainless chain. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • nicknick Captain Crystal RiverPosts: 4,817 Captain
    "More skill than I!"  Nick, I seriously doubt your comment.  However, if you really want to learn, it pretty simple.  I'll try to teach you for a trip! 
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Captain Posts: 1,806 Captain
    same here Nick 
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • biglarbiglar Deckhand Posts: 160 Deckhand
    Don’t have windlass but the splice is plenty strong. Thimble would add another shackle. I just prefer the minimalist approach when it comes to ground tackle. I used all of my 400 hp to try and get last one loose and had to cut rope. It’s about 5’ from riverhaven gazebo if anyone else wants to try and find it. Nice Fortress with stainless chain. 

Nice work, but I'm some puzzled by your pictures.  I'm skilled at rope work and have done 100s of splices but all of my lines have had 3 parts.  Your picture shows 2 sets of 3 parts....at least on the standing line.  It shows them on the trimmed picture, too.

Where did the extra 3 come from ??  Not a critique - I'm baffled.  Thanks.
    That is where I divided each strand in half. Makes it look nicer than ending  full thickness. Kind of like the joke about why a **** is tapered at each end. If it were for a windlass I would have tapered it more. You an cut off the excess as you go but I prefer to do it at the end. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
    T U R D is a bad word?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • Jim311Jim311 Captain Posts: 4,933 Captain
    This site has some wacky censorship sometimes.
    T U R D is a bad word?

Every time I see a Toyota TRD, I think of that word and grin a bit.  :-)
    Not a put-down on Toyota - I drive one myself
    That is where I divided each strand in half. Makes it look nicer than ending  full thickness. Kind of like the joke about why a **** is tapered at each end. If it were for a windlass I would have tapered it more. You an cut off the excess as you go but I prefer to do it at the end. 
    Thanks.  Live and learn.....and I thought I knew my stuff.  On the ship in the Navy, I was the Quarterdeck Seaman and took care of all rope and line work on the aft half of the ship.  Fun and interesting and beat chipping and painting.  Staggering the trimmed ends would look good, too.  I'll play with it some - I can picture a line of 6 trimmed spots.