Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

AMI Fishing report August 2019

2»

Replies

• ClubfootClubfoot Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    We were the better team!!!
  • BigVernBigVern Posts: 217 Deckhand
    Dodging the storms here! Been entertaining last couple of days. Plenty of mullet in the canal, but doesn’t seem to be any predators chasing them! Mosquitoes driving everyone for cover! Best repellent recommendations welcome!!

Day 9 report. Headed down to the R&R pier with my daughter, first drop decent mojarra, on as bait but nothing appeared to fancy it. Plenty of pinfish, again no takers under the pier! Shoulder to shoulder fishers, s not easy to avoid tangles!! Did get broken by a fish which went around the piling sand managed a new species, a small tomtate.

Kids heading home today, adult time looming. Beach is going to be my daily calling point! Snook be very afraid!

Tight lines.

Vern
    Can’t argue with that Colin. Hope Frank can do enough to avoid the elbow!!
  • ClubfootClubfoot Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    Sure he will three points tomorrow. Pier yest morning few lizard fish and the one semi decent fish that took my gotcha was inhaled of the top by a bid tarpon. Off it shot towards egmont spooling 150yds of braid in an unstoppable run.😢 no real surprise on 20 lb test. Tried an hr this morning on the beach thinking weather was breaking big mistake big thunder and rain ☔ only an English man would do this.
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 420 Deckhand
    BigVern said:
    Dodging the storms here! Been entertaining last couple of days. Plenty of mullet in the canal, but doesn’t seem to be any predators chasing them! Mosquitoes driving everyone for cover! Best repellent recommendations welcome!!

Day 9 report. Headed down to the R&R pier with my daughter, first drop decent mojarra, on as bait but nothing appeared to fancy it. Plenty of pinfish, again no takers under the pier! Shoulder to shoulder fishers, s not easy to avoid tangles!! Did get broken by a fish which went around the piling sand managed a new species, a small tomtate.

Kids heading home today, adult time looming. Beach is going to be my daily calling point! Snook be very afraid!

Tight lines.

Vern

Not sure how you're fishing at the RR, but if you haven't already I would cast a live shrimp with the least amount of weight needed up current and let the current bring the shrimp back under the pier.  You will get some mangos and you'll lose plenty of shrimp.  I'm sure there must be some little white bait holding around it.  Sabiki a few as needed and fish them the same as the shrimp.
  • PhillyfisherPhillyfisher SE PAPosts: 17 Greenhorn
    Good luck and tight lines to those of you continuing your stay!  Headed back north to thoughts of fall stripers and perhaps a few trout once the weather cools down-
    Morning folks,

Been very quiet lately, which sums up the fishing. Day 10 and 11 very similar, canal fishing and no bites! The only fish to be seen were mullet, again nothing after them. Freshwater too much for some species?

Day 12 a day on the water with Dave White, Anna Maria Charters. Tarpon the target on fly. Took me a little while to get my casting going, which cost me the chance of a good snook. As did trout setting my first take - Dave reminded me ever-so politely!! Stirred up some redfish,again not wanting to eat feathers! Tarpon it is then! We found them alright, plenty, but could we get them to eat? Not in the slightest interested in a fly.  Would not even look at the shiners we put out for them. Time ticking by so headed for some cleanish water to sight cast snook and drum. Had a couple of follows and my first leatherjacket on fly. Switch of fly and 50 casts later drum on! 10 seconds later drum off!! Surely one will eat? Getting near finishing time, can I get one to eat? 5yds from the boat a drum appears mid water, drop the fly down, it follows, twitch it up, it still follows, stop it dead -bingo fish on! Great fight and a 7lb black drum is lifted aboard - first on fly! Home now please for a little libation!!
    Day 13, finally an east wind and I can fish the surf!

Walking the beach upto Bean Point, I get a couple of follows but no hits. Find plenty of snook and again get a few follows but no hits? What am I doing wrong? Lesson 1, check leader and change it if you think it might be spooking the snook!! Reel in to Chang the fly and bang, snook number one heads for Tampa! Good fight and safely landed! Decide to change fly to a slightly larger pattern. The waves are still making presentation difficult! Out of the wave crashes snook number 2 but I fail to connect! Finally get snook 3 to bite and I can see it is a good one! 30 yards out jumps again and the hook falls out!!! Back on the dock, I see a tarpon roll but not interested in a lure and don’t feel like putting a big mojarra on as the tarpon vanishes as quickly as it appears!

Leader changed and slightly weighted fly on for today! Will let you know how it goes!

Tight lines all.

Vern
  • TooLooseTooLoose Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Awesome black drum, Vern.
    Almost impossible to get them to eat artificial, forget about it on fly. Quite the accomplishment.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 663 Officer
    Yeah I wondered if it would be some kind of line class record
    Pretty chuffed by it!

What am I doing wrong? Couldn’t catch a snook for love nor money today or yesterday! Follows yes but nothing I tried would get one to eat!!! Could it be they are really dialled in to little fish? I did get one to eat a lizard fish I was reeling in but nothing on my faithful surf white flies! Lots and lots of ladyfish off the beach last night. Then the lightening closed in and I got my keyster out of there!! Will take a couple tonight to use as chopped bait.

Lesson of the day - just because it worked last year never assume it will this time round!! Tomorrow I will be back!!!

Tight lines all.

Vern 

Hold the press, I can catch a snook off the beach, on a fly! Worked pretty darned hard for it too!! BP, wind in my face and one heck of a surf - but job done! Faith restored in my abilities and now for that big one! 
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 743 Officer
    Nice job  dude 
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,227 Moderator
    Congrats, Vern!
    Cheers guys!

Sorry for the lack of reports last couple of days. In short been hitting the beach at night for a million and one ladyfish! Could not get a snook thought. There were a couple of guys shark fishing, and had a good run but no hook up. A funny thing happened. I was just moving a long the beach back to BPoint and no more than 2feet from the sand was a huge black thing moving. I dropped the lure in front of it and hooked a fish which got off. I was about 10feet away and I did not hook the dark monster, I think it might have been a smaller snook but I could not id it. Was it the snook of my dreams? It was about 4feet long, not a turtle as it was long and slim. I did try and get in front of it again but lost it in the surf! 

Yesterday hit hit the beach and managed a good snook off the point on my third change of fly!! It coincided with an amazing sunset. To give you some idea of how windy it was waves were 3 feet and kitesurfing was going off!!! I was asking myself why am I here being battered - a few cast later I got my answer!!

Rod and Reel Pier today. Ladyfish head roars off and I am left wondering as it made the pilings. Nextbait an hour later roars off to Tampa - might have been a dolphin. Caught som lizard fish and boy did the snook love them! Nothing huge huge, but landed my best to date about 7lbs. Had 2 more smaller ones and 2 newpecies. Squirrel fish and a blue runner. It only takes one fish to make a holiday!!!

Can you tell I am one happy Brit?

Tight lines all!
    Rod and Reel Pier comes up trumps again! Nothing wanted the ladyfish chunks but this girl fancied a lizard fish alright!! OMG what a scrap! As the tide ripped past it got them fired up and managed 2 of the 5 hook ups!! Even happier Brit! Probably pushin 10 or 11lbs! 33inches or so!!
    WTG Vern, very nice.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 743 Officer
    Nice catch!  I like your enthusiasm.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,214 Captain
    A true sportsman! 
    Our sport needs more like you. 
    Kind words and I hope to get a few young anglers hooked on our sport!!

Final report from today. Had half a bag of shrimp left and a ladyfish chunk and some shiners, frozen from an outing. Start feeding shrimp under the dock and chunks of shiner past the boat hoist. First drop - mangrove snapper.  Under the dock first drop whammm, something gets to the mangroves, creaking line and ping. Not sure what it was. Out goes the ladyfish chunk. Nothing eating the chunks of shiner. Back by the dock and after small stuff chewing the bait, the float sails away and I strike into something heading out into the canal. 5 minutes later a 9lb drum surfaces and is duly landed!! Cracker!! A catfish ends the quick session. Thought I saw a tarpon roll, but kayakers turn up and they disappear! Beach calling and head out with the flyrod. Walking to BP and spot a monster snook, but it shows complete distain to my fly. Not to worry, a school soon follows, fly lands nicely, up pops a snook, inhales the fly, strike, shake and off they go!! Still not to worry, plenty more snook swimming past. Can I get a take? Nope so reel in to change the fly and wallop! Snook number one is on. Safety beached and fat, fit and healthy, about 2lbs. Hmmmmmm, change fly? Nope. Try a little blind casting into the deeper water and a leatherjacket hooks itself. Try to flip it off, no joy. Trap it between my knees as I don’t need to get spiked and I get spiked! A lot like a bee sting and not recommended!! Change fly to my old faithful white epoxy minnow and 5 lizardfish later I promise the next one is staying on the hook. I keep my promise and it gets smoked by a fat 4lber!! What a 30inch plus snook goes like I will have to wait until next year. Still, a few casts later with the feathered hook and a snook rushes in, grabs the fly, I strip set perfectly and the hook pings out!!! No time for another cast as that storm approaching looks like it means business! So the rod is packed away and I head home - happy as Larry!!

Tight lines all!

Vern

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,142 AG
    edited September 2019 #52
    Awesome reports Vern!  How much longer is your stay? 

Your reports make me want to make the 30 minute trip out to the island.

Captain Todd Approves

• SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 420 Deckhand
    Yeah, I wish everyone was as enthusiastic and posted reports.  

Once my life settles a bit I’ll be able to get out and at the very least tell everyone what did not work :)
    Alas, I have come to the end of my vacation and wonderful holiday on your gorgeous shores! Back in ole Blighty and preparing for school tomorrow. Looking back it has been another steep learning curve, but some tremendously memorable fish have come my way. In no order of preference, a black drum on fly, my largest snook and black drum on bait. 5 new species, tomtate, gulf toadfish, squirrel fish/ sand perch, lane snapper and blue runner.  Again a right result. I did not manage that shark and I wonder how big the snook was which ate a ladyfish and don’t get me started on the tarpon!! Something to aim for next year!! I wish you all thanks for you advice hope Mother Nature is kind to your land and waters! 

Tight lines all!

Vern
    Our pleasure, Vern. Appreciate your enthusiasm and your contribution to West Central.
    See you next year, 'til then good health and happiness.