Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Visitors Lost

murphy3829murphy3829 VirginiaPosts: 10 Greenhorn
Hi all! My name is John and myself and a couple buddies come to florida once a year for a fishing trip and to visit my family in orange park. We spend the whole week on the water but are usually chasing our tails. We are hillbillies from the Appalachian mountains and are completely lost in salt. Last year we spent half the time driving and looking for ponds to catch those infamous "florida strain largemouths" and after 1 fish in 3 days we switched to salt. A few nights on piers and beaches later we finnaly found Nassau Sound and the fishing bridge there and hooked up with several small cat fish and whiting and 1 good fighr with a sting ray. So now you know thw history and just how lost we are. We are avid anglers and know basics of fishing so you can use big boy words but when and where to fish is our biggest problem. We want to target reds of basically any size, a few slots would be nice (id love to try eating them ive heard great things) but 99% of everything we catch will be released so size isnt an issue. We film our trips and just want to catch as many and as many different species as we can. But I guess our "targets" would be reds, flounder, sheepshead, Jack, and snook. We also want to try on a few sharks but I know that's basically cut bait in the surf and hope for the best and one of my bucket list dream fish is a tarpon but I also know that is an unrealistic goal on a week trip with no knowledge. We will have kayaks and dont mind a small drive but want to stay close to our rental house in mayport. We will be there 9/14-9/21 and any help would be very greatly appreciated! If you ever want to come catch small mouth or mountain trout on flies id be happy to return the favor on everything I know!

Sorry for the novel here just wanted to give as much info as I could in hopes of getting as much specifics as we can thanks again folks!!!

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,461 AG
    You film that?
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    Fishing from land and bridges only ??
  • murphy3829murphy3829 VirginiaPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    You film that?
    No, we didn't film last years trip, I mean we did but nothing was usable in that disaster, we film hunts and fishing at home but plan to film this trip provided we do a little better
    Sea Snake said:
    Fishing from land and bridges only ??
    No, we have kayaks we are bringing so anywhere we can get a yak we are willing to go
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,724 Captain
    Welcome. How much land you do you “hillbillies “ own up there? 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    "Own" very little, lease several hundred acres...why?
  • elpollolocoelpolloloco JACKSONVILLEPosts: 310 Deckhand
    Great time for surf fishing, the mullet will be running. A good spot to get a tarpon from land is the fort George inlet. Cast net mullet and send them back out.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,724 Captain
    "Own" very little, lease several hundred acres...why?
    You might be able to trade a fishing trip for a hunting trip with someone on here. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    edited August 2019 #10
    Thanks elpolloloco, my castnet game isnt the strongest but im learning!
  • Mark_SMark_S jacksonvillePosts: 8 Deckhand
    Great time for surf fishing, the mullet will be running. A good spot to get a tarpon from land is the fort George inlet. Cast net mullet and send them back out.
    I'll second that after my experience last Friday in the yak....never hooked a tarpon before then and wasn't planning on it that day, however..I **** sure hooked plenty of them Friday out at Ft George and here is some advice. TACKLE UP!! I was out there with my normal creek rods and 2500 reels, this is a great way to lose alot of braid really fast and put that rod away for the rest of the trip. All that said, they are there and if you throw a mullet out there, hold on! I'll be going back a little more prepared because I really want to bring one to the yak after that adrenaline rush.
  • dixiedaddixiedad Posts: 395 Deckhand
    The St. Johns should be full of big spawning red bass at the time you will be here. Not sure what they charge for a river charter, but it may be well worth the money. If you want to stick with the yaks, try fishing live shrimp or finger mullet for flounder around the grass bed edges or drop offs in or around Ft. George or Nassau Sound. If you do this, use light tackle and 15 or 20 lb leader, #1 or so hooks and small egg sinkers. Beware of strong outgoing tides around any inlet with the full moon being 9/14 (I think). Good Luck.
    Awesome advice guys thanks so much this is exactly what we were needing! Y'all are getting me fired up now!!!! :#
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,796 Captain
    murphy,  hit us back up when it gets closer to you coming to town.  your staying in the mayport area is great... killer yak fishing in the ICW and B&M bait store is your go-to everything you will need and they are friendly too.. might tell you where they are catching em from shore...  your comiong at a great time with the mullet and shrimp runs so the fish will be biting!!  feel free to message me and maybe we can go for a boat ride when y'all are here.. and catch a few but I am no guide by any means...
    murphy,  hit us back up when it gets closer to you coming to town.  your staying in the mayport area is great... killer yak fishing in the ICW and B&M bait store is your go-to everything you will need and they are friendly too.. might tell you where they are catching em from shore...  your comiong at a great time with the mullet and shrimp runs so the fish will be biting!!  feel free to message me and maybe we can go for a boat ride when y'all are here.. and catch a few but I am no guide by any means...
    That sounds great man! We will definitely hit you up if we can when we get down!
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 755 Officer
    All good advice. I'd charter a guide for one of the days you're here, if you've got the cash to spare. 
    Chongg said:
    All good advice. I'd charter a guide for one of the days you're here, if you've got the cash to spare. 
    We considered it, and don't get me wrong. I would absolutely do that, we could afford it I believe. But admittedly I am the wuss of the group I get absolutely terrible sea sickness and I haven't found a Dramamine or patch to save me yet
  • Drift TideDrift Tide Posts: 189 Deckhand
    For yak fishing, you could launch from the Oak Harbor ramp and explore that tidal creek system, look at it on Google Earth.  I would suggest staying Out of the main ICWW or the rivers, as already mentioned the tidal currents can be evil there and get you in trouble in a hurry in a yak.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    I would take those yaks up to Ft George inlet, and play around all in there.....should be lot's of species to target, and be relatively sheltered. there is a small boat kayak launch there as well.
  • jawrayjawray Posts: 386 Deckhand
    Like Sea Snake said---Take the Yaks to Ft George inlet and the creek just before Ft George inlet is a great kayak spot. 
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 831 Officer
    Go to Guana preserve at the south end of Jacksonville beach, not far from where you will be staying. Fish the south end and then over the dam into the river. We should have had a north east wind by then and Guana should be firing pretty good. If you get a guide you can request to just stay in the river (calm) and crush fish, redfish, jacks, flounder, trout, bluefish, and others. Fort George is a easy area to launch from and go north into Simpson's creek (all these areas are found on maps. Bring a cast net and buy some shrimp. The mullet run should be going on and you guys should have a great time. Call me (Chris) 904-483-8937 and I will point you in the right direction. Be safe on your travels. 
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,974 Captain
    capcioffi said:
    Go to Guana preserve at the south end of Jacksonville beach, not far from where you will be staying. Fish the south end and then over the dam into the river. We should have had a north east wind by then and Guana should be firing pretty good. If you get a guide you can request to just stay in the river (calm) and crush fish, redfish, jacks, flounder, trout, bluefish, and others. Fort George is a easy area to launch from and go north into Simpson's creek (all these areas are found on maps. Bring a cast net and buy some shrimp. The mullet run should be going on and you guys should have a great time. Call me (Chris) 904-483-8937 and I will point you in the right direction. Be safe on your travels. 

Great advice. Hit em up. There's nothing like local knowledge. Especially when ones willing to talk you through the process by phone. Good on you Cap.
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 831 Officer
    If, your looking for a solid captain, I have sent multiple patients to fish with Captain Steve with Madness Charters and always hammered fish. His link is right above, and I highly suggest you go with him. Steve can take you fishing and also show you around and where to fish and launch. 
  • buddy dbuddy d Posts: 141 Deckhand
    If I had a kayak I put in at the kayak rental,where Simpson creek goes under aia
    paddle north {try to catch the tide]. Fish oysters just as Simpson creek empties into,the small bay 
    then go around that sandy point out to the ocean and toss live bait in the shallows 
    you’ll,probably see some Flyfishers that waded in 
  • timeout4funtimeout4fun Posts: 32 Deckhand
    This site has kayak fishing spots and info about each. I personally have done well at Haulover. But most of them can produce depending on tides   http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/fishing-spots-jax/

Here is a site I use to determine optimal tides: https://tides4fishing.com/us/florida-east-coast/mayport-bar-pilots-dock

You can select a specific creek/area at the top. Good luck and post pics of your epic trip!

(I posted a reply once already but it isn't showing hopefully it doesn't double post)

WOW,

This is unbelievable. The amount of responses with helpful information that a new-comer got here is incredible. I had a few family issues come up recently and hadn't been able to check in on this thread. I came back expecting maybe one or two more comments and was blown away. This community is truly amazing! so many comments and not a singe bit of the typical jerk answers like "figure it out". I have been on several forums around my home area and the amount of toxicity and hate is crazy, but not here. Every comment was positive, helpful, specific and incredibly knowledgeable. You guys absolutely rock! From just the information we have gotten from this forum alone takes our trip from a 2 to a 10 I really believe. The internet is a dark place full of trolls but the Florida Sportsman forum is nothing but saints as far as I'm concerned. Truly, honestly thank you all so much we really mean that!

As far as pictures from the trip I will try my best to remember to get back on here if we catch anything worth seeing (low bar for us haha) but if you are really interested you can follow along for the whole week. We will start posting as soon as we get back and get them edited, we post weekly on wednesdays and i hope the first one goes up by 9/25 from our florida vlog. 10/2 at the latest. youtube.com/Damascusoutdoors  its a small channel with barely 100 subs. we are no Blacktip H or Scott Martin but we do our best to put out high quality video and good content. Im not trying to plug by any means please don't get the wrong impression, just seemed like a couple people may be interested in seeing how the trip turns out.

If anyone has any updates on things we should consider post Dorian (don't know how severe things got on the coast or if it changed anything at all really) let us know! Hope everyone is safe and sound post storm as well!

From invites to charters, personal phone numbers, links and maps....you guys are crazy awesome for real. Thanks again so much and every piece of info we got will be heeded and used that I can guarantee!

Tight lines folks!

Folks all I can say is the weather didn't cooperate but if I can suggest a captain to go fishing with, captain Steve with Madness Charters is absolutely the man! He put us on big bull reds all day long and was an absolute blast to hang out with. It felt like fishing with another buddy, but one who knew exactly where the big reds were all day long! If you get a chance, go with him just trust me! Our day with him was the only decent fishing day we had but man it was a good one! Here are 3 of the 9 fish we caught, all over 40" by the way...the fish were as happy to see us as we were them unfortunately so bring an extra shirt if you go during the spawn. thanks again for all the help guys, with the rip rides, thunderstorms, and strong winds all week everywhere we tried to fish we either couldn't hold bottom because of current or couldn't cast because of wind....or in the case of the times we tried kayaking just got completely rained out. But, that's the way it goes some times...
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,796 Captain
    yeah mother nature can change the plans quick for sure... glad you got a chance to try and MM got you on some nice reds!! congrats!!
  • timeout4funtimeout4fun Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Congrats! You'll just have to make the trip more often, cause we do get weather windows. Great report!