Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Replies

• tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 472 Deckhand
    Well I personally think its about time they put a limit. Two might be a little low but you certainly dont need more than 4-5 per person and I think the 10 per boat limit is good.
  • JoeBazookaJoeBazooka Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Preemptive/proactive restrictions makes a lot more sense than waiting for a fishery to be on the brink of collapse before doing something. If only the Mid-Atlantic region followed this model!

The limits set should keep almost everyone happy and 10 for a boat is plenty - especially considering you guys have multiple other species to target on a daily basis.
  • bonebone Posts: 1,166 Officer
    Max of 10 is about perfect. Mahi should be the same. 
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 1,003 Officer
    edited August 2019 #5
    Yet another stock with no stock assessment before the government says you can only catch x.

This came about because anglers says they can't catch them. It's common for the groups who can't catch to complain. Government steps in to do the political correct thing. 

Stocks shift and conditions change,  There is no commercial fishery for them. It's a slippery slope to manage fish stocks this way. Might as well toss out MSA and regulate by the seat of your pants. This will do little to help the stocks. However it's a great way for the agencies to hand their hat on something.

Greg
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 472 Deckhand
    Yet another stock with no stock assessment before the government says you can only catch x.

This came about because anglers says they can't catch them. It's common for the groups who can't catch to complain. Government steps in to do the political correct thing. 

Stocks shift and conditions change,  There is no commercial fishery for them. It's a slippery slope to manage fish stocks this way. Might as well toss out MSA and regulate by the seat of your pants. This will do little to help the stocks. However it's a great way for the agencies to hand their hat on something.

Greg
    Although I agree with the with the sentiment of not imposing regulations before conducting proper science, stock assessments of marine fish are very hard to conduct and have questionable accuracy, especially with pelagic species. And personally I think there should be at least a boat limit for them, 10 being a fairly reasonable number because tuna is a fish best eaten fresh and doesn't freeze well so theres not point in taking more than can be eaten fresh.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 11,046 AG
    I disagree with you that Tuna doesn't freeze well. About 99.99% of Tuna sold in markets and served in restaurants has been frozen. Even the finest quality Sushi/Sashimi Tuna has been frozen. You need to properly care for it when caught, vacuum pack and flash freeze it for optimum results.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,053 Captain
    I vacuum pack it and freeze it all the time.
    Bleed, bury in ice, ice down while cleaning, filet and directly back on ice
    Not for sashimi but to grill and for tuna salad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 1,003 Officer
    I disagree with you that Tuna doesn't freeze well. About 99.99% of Tuna sold in markets and served in restaurants has been frozen. Even the finest quality Sushi/Sashimi Tuna has been frozen. You need to properly care for it when caught, vacuum pack and flash freeze it for optimum results.
    Bingo. If your tuna isn’t holding up in the freezer your not doing it correctly 

Greg
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 877 Officer
    AOKRVs said:
    I vacuum pack it and freeze it all the time.
    Bleed, bury in ice, ice down while cleaning, filet and directly back on ice
    Not for sashimi but to grill and for tuna salad
    This!