Maiden Voyage

I have owned two pathfinders, a 1900v and 2000v.  I've fished nearshore wrecks out to 20' miles +/-.  I recently stepped up to a 1996 Contender 23 with a single 2016 300hp Evinrude G2 and 2017 Garmin electronics with Radar.  I took it out to 9 mile a couple weeks ago and now looking to go out further.  This Wednesday is calling for 3-4 swell height at 9 seconds.  I am thinking it will be a good day to head offshore.  My plan is to fish about 40-45 miles offshore and do some bottom fishing.  Headed out of St. Augustine. 

Is that a good plan/what would you do? 

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,730 Admiral
    Invest in good safety equipment.
    EPIRB, PLB, PABs...
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 151 Deckhand
    edited August 2019 #3
    I've got VHF, Life Jackets, new anchor line, Garmin InReach(PLB), etc..  I believe I am set but it is in the back of my mind like everyone else's. 
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,401 Officer
    you probably have all the stuff and know the deal but with recent events gotta say....
    seems like plenty of boat to get you to the 50 mile mark safely but 3-4 at 9 seconds will be a bit bumpy and if is anything less than 9 sec it will be ruff for ya... I like the radar to be able to dodge the storms but PLB may not work as well as you need at 50 miles...   I have a 21 ft CC and won't go past the beach in 3-4 at 9 sec... just not fun... get an EPIRB and register it, have float plan A and B, make sure your stuff works and be careful!
    Thank you for feedback. I believe inside of 20 miles is going to be 2-3.  What I plan to do is feel it out, if to much I will troll for kings at nearshore wrecks.  But I am itching for some bottom fishing in deeper water
  • Drift TideDrift Tide Posts: 172 Deckhand
    I have a relatively low risk tolerance, so would wait another week.  Taking a new-to-you 23-yr old boat, on only its 2nd trip offshore w/ you, in iffy seas, outside CG 
    radio range, only 4 days prior to potential impacts from TS/HC Dorian doesnt seem prudent.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 723 Officer
    Personally, I’d wanna run that boat a little more to smoke any gremlins out before running that far. Something else to consider: How many other people do you think will be out there that day in those conditions? And buy an EPIRB. Just my two cents.
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    Does the Garmin In-Reach qualify as a PLB? 
    Join Sea-Tow or Towboat US.
  • Cracker Jack 45Cracker Jack 45 Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    ACR EPIRB for sure or equivalent.  Great investment.  Tragedies can happen very fast.
    edited August 2019 #11
    Cracker23 said:
    It is a plb and more;  can be your back up gps, leave a breadcrumb trail and allows you to text anywhere in the world.  So when you are in distress you can send the plb signal, communicate with rescue the situation, leave a trail of your float path, communicate with others your cordinates.  

Another cool feature is it allows your loved ones at home to track your trip, they can log in or over an app see where you are at any given time.
    edited August 2019 #12
    Cracker23 said:
    Join Sea-Tow or Towboat US.
    I am a member of sea tow
  • portusrogerportusroger Posts: 174 Deckhand
    I will be going out off Jax   40-65 miles. Weather is looking good for Wednesday. Good luck and be safe.
    Looks like they are calling it 3’ now.  Getting better 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,569 AG
    Looks like they are calling it 3’ now.  Getting better 
    next week not so much :D
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Cracker23 said:
    It is a plb and more;  can be your back up gps, leave a breadcrumb trail and allows you to text anywhere in the world.  So when you are in distress you can send the plb signal, communicate with rescue the situation, leave a trail of your float path, communicate with others your cordinates.  

Another cool feature is it allows your loved ones at home to track your trip, they can log in or over an app see where you are at any given time.

Sorry, I was being facetious when asked the question. I didn't seen the words PLB mentioned in any of the information that I have read about the In-Reach system so I would not consider it a PLB personally.
    I do think it has some great features that could complement an Epirb or PLB, but I wouldn't use it to replace an Epirb or PLB.
    Cracker23 said:
    Cracker23 said:

Sorry, I was being facetious when asked the question. I didn't seen the words PLB mentioned in any of the information that I have read about the In-Reach system so I would not consider it a PLB personally.
    I do think it has some great features that could complement an Epirb or PLB, but I wouldn't use it to replace an Epirb or PLB.
    I plan to get an EPirb for the boat eventually.  Its on the grocery list.  But for the time being if I could only have one, I went with Garmin InReach.  Curious, if you could only have one why you would choose plb over the inreach?  InReach seems to do the same as PLB and so much more 
    Acr Epirbs are the proven horse, the In-Reach is the new horse. I would rather bet my life with the proven one.
    Sea-Tow and Towboat have a rental program for Epirbs and PLBs
    Cracker23 said:
    Acr Epirbs are the proven horse, the In-Reach is the new horse. I would rather bet my life with the proven one.
    Good point 
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,471 Admiral
    I don't know what the in reach broadcasts on.....but the PLB's and EPIRB'S both broadcast on 406mhz

Epirb's having longer battery life....both will have a Coast Guard helicopter hovering right over you.....to me I think the in-reach as being a new version of spot, but instead of pre-entered messages, you can kinda send a message.

Wouldn't trust it as much as an EPIRB or PLB

Besides, my message, ....if the crap has hit the fan.....would read like "Oh sh!!tttt, what da foook, holy c*$#@g "...especially if I had to type it.....

.....just sayin'.... 
    edited August 2019 #22
    It sends out an sos with out needing to text.  Texting is just another feature it offers that the standard plb doesn’t.  Instead of wondering if someone is coming you also have the ability to confirm 
    We all have heard and read of the good endings from people using Epirbs. I haven't read or heard of any testimonies from people using In-Reach for a rescue. In-Reach might be the future for rescue operations but for now I believe the Epirb is your best chance of survival.

I ended up going out on Wednesday.  Seas were 2-3 out to 20 miles then 3-4 beyond 20 miles; all at 9 seconds.  Winds around 10 knots.  Not a bad ride but once we got in that 3-4 seas we decided to just fish around the 20 mile mark.  So we fished Taylor reef and were able to pick up some b-liners and kept getting broke off by what we believe to be sharks. 

I was able to get a feel for the boat and what it was capable of.  The 3-4 seas were doable but like others mentioned, it wasn't going to be fun running another 20 miles.  Also being a Wednesday not another boat seen the entire day.  That combination kept us at 20 miles and I think it was the right call.  It reinforced what everyone has been implying, that for a 40 mile run, it's best to wait for an under 3' seas day, and one with other people around.

• cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 225 Deckhand
    Good call and great to hear you got to stretch your legs and experiment with the boat.  I’ve been doing the same thing for almost 2 years.  Serious problems can develop quickly outside 40 miles, it can get lonely fast and if the run out/back is no fun or painful (ask my 50 yr old back) why do it?  Well played and welcome to the Jax offshore. I’m out most weekends- somewhere between 20 and 60- answering to Dauntless. 
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.