Boat storage in hurricane

Texas PhilTexas Phil Posts: 1 Greenhorn
Looking for advice on what to do with bass boat if hurricane comes this season.  In central Florida - on canal to lake and have boat on lift in small boat house. Also have a seawalled uncovered section cut into back yard with ~ 4 ft water - boat fits entirely in it.   Best to leave boat on lift - adding additional tie downs to boat house supports  or pull into inlet and tie down there?  Seawall would be about 3 ft above gunwale.

Replies

• Gary SGary S Posts: 1,569 Captain
    You have a trailer you can put it on?
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    I would leave on lift if you don't have a trailer, if in the water you better make sure your bilge pump works flawlessly. A lot of boat houses are pretty flimsy, I would make sure that thing is braced up good too and raise the boat as high as it will go, all though you don't have to worry about storm surge, I assume. A lot of bracing on that boathouse.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,200 Captain
    During hurricanes I take the boat off the lift, put it on a trailer, and take a guess which direction I think the wind will be coming from when the storm passes... then I put the boat as close to the house as possible so that the house will block some of the wind, making sure not to put it next to trees also.  
    If the storm is smaller or going to be a non-direct hit I just put the boat up high on the lift and tie it to a couple of the pilings in case the lift breaks or there's an incredible 5' high storm surge.

-Mag
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 792 Officer
    What magnuss said but we always add water to the bilge and such to weigh them down.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,507 AG
    Put it on the trailer, strap it down and fill the bilge with water. 

Don't leave it on the lift. This is my buddies lift in Mex Bch after Hurricane Michael. His 2017 Sea Hunt was totaled and 500 yards behind it in that wooded area behind the mangled lift.

• MGDMGD Posts: 1,126 Officer
    Don't forget to block the trailer if you are adding water to it. Trailer is not designed for that extra weight.
    Also, I have gone to putting 2 large coolers on the deck w water. That way if u get tons of rain, your bilge doesn't fill to high.
    And I strap it to the ground as well.
    Mine is a 23 center console. If it is gonna be a bad one, I remove electronics (not built in) and also remove the windshield to reduce resistance.

• johny5johny5 hyderabadPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    I would keep on the lift if the storm is smaller or going to be a small hit. During Hurricanes I would keep my boat on a trailer. 
  • ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    I am about 3ft above Tampa Bay no seawall, I leave the boat on the trailer but untied to the trailer, then tie a sturdy rope to the welded steel pole that holds up the house. then go home to Alaska for the summer. This is about all I can do.
  • aakanksha5aakanksha5 delhiPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    It would be nice to keep the boat on the lift if it is for smaller winds and in case of hurricanes you better keep it on a trailer.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,386 Officer
    Boats U.S. had a good article on this very thing. They said, in part; Never leave the boat on a lift if possible. Never add water to bilge. Pull the drain plug. Put your boat on a trailer. You might have to borrow a trailer if you don't own one. Tie the boat to the trailer and tie the trailer down. They suggested augers that twist into the ground (available at tractor supply, and home depot). Buy the biggest auger you can man-handle. Tie the trailer to the auger.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 664 Officer
    edited September 3 #13
    Put on trailer, tie down, hook to tow ball that is mounted on tow vehicle, tow north.

BTW looks like OP is 1 & done...
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 1,515 Captain
    My Pathfinder survived Michael. 
     I had it on the trailer in the driveway. Chained the wheels together. Closed  the deck drains and let it the water build up( I think the 175 mph wind blew most of it out?) and tied down the T top. 
    The bow/ front of trailer was blown about 4 feet to the left off the concrete and buried the front into the dirt. 
     Boat came out pretty much unscathed except for the port side which got hit by a bunch of roof shingles. 

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,140 Admiral
    That's amazing.  I figure if a storm like Michael hits it really doesn't matter too much what you do. 

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,126 Officer
    Here's my list for my 23 parked on a trailer next to my house and up against the side neighbor fence.
    • I put jack stands under the rear of the trailer as close to the axles as possible. I lower the tongue way down, place the jacks then raise the tongue up until the weight of the trailer is on the jacks and not on the axles. Then block the tongue as well.
    • I add 2 100 QT coolers on my deck of my 23 and fill them with water plus fill the fish boxes with water
    • Strap over the T Top to trailer.
    • Remove electronics
    • Remove Windshield (takes about 10 min)
    • Strap both corners of the stern and the tongue to in ground eyes that are anchored in concrete
    • Leave the plug out and turn off battery switch
  • mdemottmdemott Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    I have a 20 ft. bay boat which sits on a drive on dock behind the house on a salt water marsh.
    I pull the boat and put it on the trailer, take all covers off, strap it to the trailer along with the required tie downs and sandbag the wheels and frame. I move the boat to another house not on the marsh finish securing the house and since I am in a "A" zone, evacuate. Feel I have done what I can and my insurance is paid up.
  • gheftyghefty Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I made the mistake of thinking that 20k cargo straps would keep my boat on my lift during hurricane Irma. The rear strap failed and the bow slipped out from under the forward strap, the boat landed in my neighbor’s yard. I will never make that mistake again, anytime a hurricane threatens to strike I will put my boat on the trailer. 
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 534 Officer
      My flats boat is under a carport and in the last hurricane had a lot
    of concern regarding damage.About a hour after hurricane past,my
    neighbor called and said"Your boat fine no damage and oh by the
    way your home fine too!"
       Yhat a man with his priorties in order!