Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fishing trip called because of ants. What are some of the strange things that postpone your trip?

Had the boat loaded up and a mile down the road when I pull off to check a rattle,  Everything checked out fine when I notice a ant crawling out of the storage locker.  Opening it up I was surprise to see hundreds of ants coming out to greed me.  Glad I checked it out it could of been like the 1954 movie THEM! with ants attacking us in the boat.  Good movie if you young guys have not seen it.  These ants in the locker  were the big red ants that bite hard and leave a blister that hurt afterward. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4URRp39XOo&t=72s

I turned around  and drove back home and spray half a can of Raid on them and took  over control of the boat again.  We decided to call it a day and try again tomorrow for a fishing trip because it was getting late,after a late start , and the poison smell was over bearing  

I cancelled fishing trips  the last 40 years because of  to windy, rain, snow up north.  Others ,tide time, tide to low, to hot, to cold, river flooded, flat tires, fishing buddy didn't show up or cancelled, motor didn't start, lake dry up, truck didn't start, hitch broke and a few others but never because of ants

So what are a few strange things that cancelled or delay your trips?

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,646 AG
    weather will cancel it.   my stomach the morning of or night before has cancelled trips.  My son is my fishing buddy so never had him miss a trip before.  i was pulling out one morning when my brother pulled up i was leaving without him.  I always start the motor the night before and if i get something funny or i don't like the way it's running i'll postpone.   But that was when I had a carbed merc 90.   My Yamaha with fuel injection has been pretty impressive. 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,119 Officer
    Girlfriend was in a good mood :)!
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 572 Officer
    "An't" that a strange one!  Best not to leave half eaten donuts in the locker!  LOL:  :D:p
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,612 Captain
    I had a new grandchild this weekend, cost me 2 and a half days of fishing.

Had a rat come out of the console one day near my wife's foot, but I just knocked him overboard.
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    edited July 2019 #6
    Harris roach tablets in the dry lockers will discourage them. They like crappy wet wood.

Florida carpenter ants seek either existing voids in which to nest or excavate only soft materials such as rotten or pithy wood and Styrofoam. Other concerns are that these ants sting (they do not) and bite (they do).

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,612 Captain
    My brother had to cut a trip short because his cat started crying from under the deck. His wife made him go in.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

Carpenter ants?

If there's wood in the boat a missed trip is the least of your problems.

• bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    tankard said:

Carpenter ants?

If there's wood in the boat a missed trip is the least of your problems.

Maybe, hope not. I had a boat redone, all woods stringers taken out, new non-wood transom, etc. And I still got them almost immediately. Once they are there they are hard to get rid off. I think they attract other ants with pheromones or something.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    bicyclist said:
    Harris roach tablets in the dry lockers will discourage them. They like crappy wet wood.

Florida carpenter ants seek either existing voids in which to nest or excavate only soft materials such as rotten or pithy wood and Styrofoam. Other concerns are that these ants sting (they do not) and bite (they do).

I did not know they don't sting.
    I stood on an old rotten palmetto root mass once on a dove hunt, looked down and I was covered in them up to my knees.  Talk about freak out time.  Slapped em all off and did the ant dance with a shotgun in one hand without incident.  Must've been hundreds. I was surprised I didn't get nailed at least once, now I know why.  Still wouldn't recommend the experience.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Slacker said:
    I had a new grandchild this weekend, cost me 2 and a half days of fishing.

Had a rat come out of the console one day near my wife's foot, but I just knocked him overboard.
    you monster! if you had filmed it you would be in jail!
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 1,008 Officer
    edited July 2019 #12
      They were Carpenter ants  No wood in boat They liked the  damp anchor rope,  tie down ropes, and a few other ropes in the locker.   They do bite and it hurt really bad for awhile.  Got bit pulling weeds last week and it hurt for a hour or so.  All clean out and all are  dead but a few on the trailer coming back.   I am ready to go out again probably tomorrow.  
    I had a snake, Black Racer, pop out on me while fishing in the gulf one time scaring me.  It jump over the side before I did. Once a water snake and a raccoon on the same trip attempted to get in the boat by climbing the anchor line.  There was a oar waiting to stop them when they popped their heads over the side of the boat.  Water snakes in Ohio are  aggressive  guarding their territory.  I was chased around serveral times while fishing from shore and Golfing near a lake.A few times large snapping turtles would come ashore and chase you off your chair.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,419 AG
    strange p***Y has made me miss a lot back in the day
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
     Once a water snake and a raccoon on the same trip attempted to get in the boat by climbing the anchor line.  There was a oar waiting to stop them when they popped their heads over the side of the boat.  
    Were they working together or was it at different times?  

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Frank SFrank S Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Related boat/ant story. Heading out fishing one morning, noticed a neighbors boat sitting in the water under his lift, but sitting crooked. Pulled over, woke him up, lift cables were completely screwed up. Repair guy found the control box FULL of ants, nest they built caused a contact, cables unwound all the way, then partially wound back up before tangling and tripping breaker. He said this was not the first time he has seen this,.Been hitting the deck, pilings with spray once in a while ever since.
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 1,008 Officer
    Were they working together or was it at different times?  

I felt bad after I give the Raccoon a knock on the head.  It swim back to shore and rubbed it head.   All It wanted was a fish because people in the area was feeding it.  But I wasn't going to let a wild animal in my boat.  The snake a half hour later received the same treatment and flew off the boat and swim away.  I have had many encounter with wildlife while fishing and if you  seen my Facebook photos several encounter while hiking here in Florida.  Ask Snookspanker he on my page.  One time fishing a river from shore standing on the bank a deer jumped clear over me landing just a few feet in front of me in the river.  That get your heart beating fast.  
    River Cooters from a hike last night.Not really a encounter but great to see so many in one spot.

Image may contain tree outdoor water and nature
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,996 Captain
    Ripped the axle off my trailer last year while launching  at low tide in Ozello, that cost me two days( not strange... just stupid)
    Other than that it was quite a few “at the ramp”, “ boat keys in Gainesville “ situations.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Watch out for those carpenter ants making a nest inside your engine, they will come in from the water intake and build a nest in the water compartments inside the engine and clog the thing up, tough to get the debris out too.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,103 Captain
    About 15 yrs ago I was gassing up in High Springs heading to Steinhatchee around 4am. All of a sudden two drunk UF girls who were coming back from a party in lake city came flying through the parking lot looking for the first hard **** they could find. I doubt they remember me, but I’ll never forget them! 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    4WARD said:
    Ripped the axle off my trailer last year while launching  at low tide in Ozello, that cost me two days( not strange... just stupid)
    Other than that it was quite a few “at the ramp”, “ boat keys in Gainesville “ situations.
    I can't pull out of my street anymore without physically putting eyes on my boat keys.   My son likes to walk around with them in his pocket because he unhooks and hooks up the trailer.  We got to the ramp one day "hey man where are the keys?"   "ohh crap dad I forgot them on the counter at the house"...    He's never done that since, but I still can't leave without seeing them. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,419 AG
    4WARD said:
    pro tip, don't use the ramp at Pirates Cove, launch in the sand just to the west of the ramp (like 25' west).
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,437 Officer
    I've had ants in my duck boat and didnt notice until I was motoring to my spot one morning pre dawn. Luckily I was in waders and just ditched the boat once I got the deeks out. Got home and raid wasnt doing the trick, so I put the plug in and turned the hose on and flooded them out. 
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,996 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    4WARD said:
    pro tip, don't use the ramp at Pirates Cove, launch in the sand just to the west of the ramp (like 25' west).
    Yes sir, been doing that ever since. 
    I also don’t let my leafsprings get so bad that they separate when out of load. They didn’t look that bad either.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 755 Officer
    edited August 2019 #24

Low electrolytes - in my body not boat batteries. :# 2.5 days in Spring Hill Hospital after 2 full days dawn to dusk in the sun with 115 degree heat index both days. I was drinking water full speed and that turned out to be the problem. For some reason (likely a major brain fart) :open_mouth: I completely forgot to replace my electrolytes and got them to such a low level I thought I was having a heart attack and wondered if the feeling I had was the feeling one gets before they die - SERIOUSLY! All turned out okay with my health but the remainder of our week at Homosassa was ruined.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,536 Captain
    finbully said:

Low electrolytes - in my body not boat batteries. :# 2.5 days in Spring Hill Hospital after 2 full days dawn to dusk in the sun with 115 degree heat index both days. I was drinking water full speed and that turned out to be the problem. For some reason (likely a major brain fart) :open_mouth: I completely forgot to replace my electrolytes and got them to such a low level I thought I was having a heart attack and wondered if the feeling I had was the feeling one gets before they die - SERIOUSLY! All turned out okay with my health but the remainder of our week at Homosassa was ruined.
    Gatorade helps a little. 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,291 Moderator
    ….can't think of any ….not already mentioned. lol
    "You'll get your weather"
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 793 Officer
    August,1967-draft notice.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Went out last WE and the darn ants were in my boat again too, this time in the life jackets. Rain is making them seek dry cover.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 113 Deckhand
    well nobody cares but here in Alaska with global warming the rivers are in the lower 70s and the salmon don't like it.state shut almost all fishing in south central down,, plus its so dry the state is burning up so makes it hard to travel (small plane or drive) The FDG  (F...… do gooders) want the waste land to burn for more moose food. we did get this one last week