Slot size for Hogfish

EnyarEnyar Posts: 97 Greenhorn
Judging by recent regulations and personal experience it seems like Hogs have been getting hit pretty hard. I was just reading about the reproduction cycle of the Hogfish and the large males seem to play a pretty important role. Wouldn't this be a perfect species to implement a slot limit? It could be like trout where you could keep 1-5 like 16"-20" and then one 20"+.

Replies

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,569 Captain
    Welcome to 2014....
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,383 AG
    yep
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,355 Officer
    Been harvesting  plenty of hogfish for the past 40 years. It was never brought up that they were in any kind of danger of being depleted until they started showing up on restaurant menus a few years back. Perhaps this is just a coincidence, but I think not. 
    Just got back from a few days in the lower keys, probably saw 200+ hogfish in 3 days of lobster chasing, shot 2 that were 16 inches. Seems to me that raising a size limit by 4 inches at once is a bit of an overkill! 
    Just my  $.02.