Boat question - bottom paint referal - added pic of new hull

butchbalbutchbal Posts: 450 Deckhand
Hello my friends,

Well it finally happened, the hull on my offshore boat finally gave up. Bad stringers separated from transom and a cracked transom. Old hull not worth repairing. Time to send the faithful old BadFish hull off to the landfill for a dirt nap. 

Good news! I'm buying a new hull, 22' cc with a dive platform / engine bracket. I need to have it bottom painted. Any recommendations for (local to Homosassa/CR) marina contractors that do a good job. This boat has never been painted so it will need it done right, sanding/barrier coat/ bottom paint. I need someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks!

Butch

Replies

• THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 517 Officer
    Try Citrus Marine Service, 8234 W Grover Cleveland, Homosassa.  Phone 795-4033.  Eric and Kent have done several boats for me and they're good and they're careful.  They used to do all the bottom painting for Homosassa Marine when they owned Magic Manatee Marina, if I'm not mistaken.  They're the Tohatsu dealer for this area.  Good luck!
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,732 Captain
    edited August 19 #3
    The old hull would probably make an excellent sheepshead and cobia spot if she found her way to the bottom in about 15’ ;)
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,965 Captain
    Now that would be an excellent resting spot. It would keep on giving.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,383 AG
    The old hull would probably make an excellent sheepshead and cobia spot if she found her way to the bottom in about 15’ ;)
    that is illegal, please tell me that you don't condone illegal actions, I hate to see your halo dim...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    butchbal said:
    Hello my friends,

Well it finally happened, the hull on my offshore boat finally gave up. Bad stringers separated from transom and a cracked transom. Old hull not worth repairing. Time to send the faithful old BadFish hull off to the landfill for a dirt nap. 

Good news! I'm buying a new hull, 22' cc with a dive platform / engine bracket. I need to have it bottom painted. Any recommendations for (local to Homosassa/CR) marina contractors that do a good job. This boat has never been painted so it will need it done right, sanding/barrier coat/ bottom paint. I need someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks!

Butch
    I'm not sure where Twin Rivers is these days with competent help, so i won't rec them., but

I don't have Jan Dewitt's card on me but if you want get ahold of Skip at Gulf Coast marine in Homosassa and get Jan's number..
    Good honest man and been in this biz for years with a good rep.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 450 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 said:
    butchbal said:
    Hello my friends,

Thanks!

Butch
    I'm not sure where Twin Rivers is these days with competent help, so i won't rec them., but

I don't have Jan Dewitt's card on me but if you want get ahold of Skip at Gulf Coast marine in Homosassa and get Jan's number..
    Good honest man and been in this biz for years with a good rep.
    Thanks, I know Skip. His shop is around the corner from my house. I get the number from him.
    THINKICAN said:
    Try Citrus Marine Service, 8234 W Grover Cleveland, Homosassa.  Phone 795-4033.  Eric and Kent have done several boats for me and they're good and they're careful.  They used to do all the bottom painting for Homosassa Marine when they owned Magic Manatee Marina, if I'm not mistaken.  They're the Tohatsu dealer for this area.  Good luck!
    Thanks ill I'll call them for an estimate
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,119 Captain
    Might want to call Rob Young at Young boats to see if it is something they will do. 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,732 Captain
    edited August 20 #10
    ANUMBER1 said:
    that is illegal, please tell me that you don't condone illegal actions, I hate to see your halo dim...
    Didn’t you see my wink? That means it wasn’t serious  ;)
    You should have been here yesterday
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Didn’t you see my wink? That means it wasn’t serious  ;)
    I know..
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 577 Officer
    RIP BadFish but............you can't just tease us with "new hull". We need details man. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,484 Captain
    edited August 20 #13
    It's a very interesting hull.  16 years old, but brand new. Never had a motor on it.  Butch will fill in the details.  He may pick it up this week. 
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,033 Officer
    Sooner or later ......... It's time!

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
    edited August 21 #15
    OK, for those of you curious about my new hull...
    In my search for a hull to replace my old hull I cast a pretty wide net, all the usual, Craigs list, Ebay, Boat trader, Hull truth, Pop yatchs, etc. 

I found an ad in Craig's list for a 2003 Blue Fin hull "brand new".  It seems the dealer bought the hull 16 years ago on spec and never powered it but had it sitting in his show-room which is in an off the beaten path old marina complex. He explained that over the years he almost sold it several times but a deal never happened so he continued to drop the price. He is now 77 years old, his wife wants him to close shop and retire, I found him and we cut a deal.

The Blue Fins were made in R.I. (now out of business). They were highly regarded as fast and stable hulls, solid and sturdy with above average fit and finish.They were not well known outside the North east Atlantic states.

It is a unique boat, 22' - 3", 27' if you add the platform bracket and bow pulpit. It is a center console all composite construction (no wood) with a step hull design. The boat came pre-rigged with Mercury controls and a seastar steering system. It has 3 in floor fish boxes with a common macerator pump, Also a transom live well and and fish box. Fresh and raw water wash down. Forward and aft bilge pumps. Transom has a walk thru door to the swim platform. 

I am going to move the Honda 225 and electronic to it from my old hull and make some mods to the console to accommodate my 11" humminbird side scan sonar and the 8" garmin I use to navigate. Also have to transplant the trim tabs and a few other things. I'm going to run it with a bimini top until I figure out how I want to design a T-top.

Here are a few pics of the BadFish II as she is now

• Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 577 Officer
    edited August 21 #16
    I have a customer near that "off the beaten path" marina and eat at the restaurant often. I have looked at that hull a few times LOL. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 517 Officer
    Looks as if you have a real winner in the Blue Fin.  Good length, good layout, good guy running it.  What more is there to say except, "Keep those great pictures coming"!
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,818 Captain
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,999 Moderator
    That's cool !  
    "You'll get your weather"
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 663 Officer
    That looks like a nice find!
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,806 Captain
    THINKICAN said:
    Yep. Eric and crew do good work. Just dropped of my 24' pontoon for bottom work....
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,423 Officer
    I have a customer near that "off the beaten path" marina and eat at the restaurant often. I have looked at that hull a few times LOL. 
    I was eyeballin that same hull a couple years ago. 

I know a guy (right around the corner from the boat) who can put a really nice t-top on that bad boy.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck