Home General Hunting

No gator harvest results?

bswivbswiv Posts: 7,769 Admiral
We've seen a couple of folks on the river of late, Clay County and then today on the St. Johns in Putnam, and we've got one set of tags opening up Thursday........but no postings of results?

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,927 Captain
    Lol give it time
  • woeivwoeiv Posts: 97 Deckhand
    Small craft advisory conditions on inland lakes last Thursday-Sunday not ideal. I’m sure this week has been better 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,365 Captain
    edited August 2019 #4
    A couple googans I know tagged out their first night with a 11-8 and 11-4 at Slim's, off the airboat. I had a pic but deleted. I'm sure you all can see it on Facebook if you look. Nice to get them out of the herd and into the fryer.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,984 Captain
    Darn had a guy with an opening night permit there and our boat guy bailed so I went and deer hunted. 11s are nice. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,736 AG
    Well...so far some guy up in EC Fla got bit and had to be taken to the trauma center....May lose his hand. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 778 Officer
    We killed the Biggest one that I have ever had any dealings with on Monday. He was missing a lot of his tail though which kinda sucks but he was still a Giant in other Aspects. He taped out 10' 4" and the Tail was bobbed off up into the double scoots and we figure that he was missing 3 or so feet of tail and he weighed 620lbs

Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif
  • WILLIEGATORWILLIEGATOR Posts: 67 Deckhand
    I got 2 tags for Lake George and my week starts next week..
    H20dad said:
    Darn had a guy with an opening night permit there and our boat guy bailed so I went and deer hunted. 11s are nice. 
    Next time look me up. If I'm not working or jammed up at little league I'll transport you in and back. Just cover my truck and boat gas and maybe kick me a Ziploc of tail and we're square as long as I don't have to handle that nasty **** eater.

If you aren't happy with that deal I can put you in touch with a guy I know, but that will cost you big money. He isn't as benevolent as I am, but he also has all the necessary gear, and a big tour boat to hunt from....  We both live about 30 minutes from Slim's.
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,370 Officer
    MONSTER, congrats guys!
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,998 Captain
    Nice Bowtech! That’s a biggun
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,769 Admiral
    Good one there............missing tail is frustrating...............
    Big Mak said:
    H20dad said:
    Next time look me up. If I'm not working or jammed up at little league I'll transport you in and back. Just cover my truck and boat gas and maybe kick me a Ziploc of tail and we're square as long as I don't have to handle that nasty **** eater.

If you aren't happy with that deal I can put you in touch with a guy I know, but that will cost you big money. He isn't as benevolent as I am, but he also has all the necessary gear, and a big tour boat to hunt from....  We both live about 30 minutes from Slim's.
    Thanks. I have a buddy coming in from Cali who drew a tag. If we get in a pinch I’ll contact you. I’m not that worried mostly about getting teal and gators. 

Will you help drag drag deer out of the swamp because that’s what I really need. Deer drag help. I don’t have a 4 wheeler!
    edited August 2019 #14
    A meat gator last night outta Slim's for my Indian outlaw buddy and his wife. It was her first gator and she took it with a bow. Exactly 8 feet long.
    H20dad said:
    Big Mak said:
    H20dad said:

Thanks. I have a buddy coming in from Cali who drew a tag. If we get in a pinch I’ll contact you. I’m not that worried mostly about getting teal and gators. 

Will you help drag drag deer out of the swamp because that’s what I really need. Deer drag help. I don’t have a 4 wheeler!
    I'm into less labor intensive sports these days, H2O. If I can get a Polaris ranger or airboat to your deer I'll help. If I gotta trudge through that slop and drag back in this heat you might be dragging two bodies out by the end of the day.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,540 Admiral
    It rained and rained and rained. All night. But, there were a few moments when things came together for us. 

We ended up with a 10’7”, 8’, 7’5”, and a 7’1” 
    I don’t think it was too horrible for our second time. 
    Ended up with a few coolers of meat

The 10’er

Def will do this again.
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 778 Officer
    bswiv said:
    Good one there............missing tail is frustrating...............
    Yes it was for sure kind of what he could have been but oh well still Happy to have got him 
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif
    I work with the wife of the 1000lb gator capturer from a few years ago he got an 11footer last night out of slims. 
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Nice going guys & gals. Hope a lot more of them get processed! Nice pics.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 474 Deckhand
    Ol Mucky....
    keep the gator mouth taped and bleached while processing the gator. Their mouths carry an insane amount of bacteria that you don’t want on the meat your processing 
    Got a nice 9’ and 8.5’ for my family last night. They were over the moon being from Ohio and never having chased lizards. My niece said it was “frog gigging on steroids.”

• bswivbswiv Posts: 7,769 Admiral
    We went shrimping today rather than fight the lake on a Saturday morning. Friend who went both yesterday and today said that other than some that were to small to mess with this early in the season he saw only one worth effort. 

Felt like a genius sitting there at the ramp with a limit of nice shrimp as he came by with a empty boat. We may give it a go in the morning......
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    Most all my tags are for last two phases.  Killing me.  Have jumped aboard with others and have put 4 in the boat.  Water is high.  Friday night hunted some county tags and they were skittish as I have ever seen.   Someone must have been pushing them hard early on.  Looking forward to late season as water levels drop and get a few cold snaps making them big ones look for the sun in the wide open.  
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    Big Mak said:
    A meat gator last night outta Slim's for my Indian outlaw buddy and his wife. It was her first gator and she took it with a bow. Exactly 8 feet long.
    Is she Chippewa? She looks one of kind.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 528 Officer

This was the first year I have applied for gator tags and was fortunate enough to get drawn for county-wide tags in Jefferson County. After scouting around and then talking to a homeowner on a private lake very close to my house, I set out to harvest the 10 footer that is a regular visitor to his dock. After three nights of pursuing this gator and being duped by his disappearing tactics into the lily pads, I decided to try something different on Sunday night.

I am not a late night person and the previous 3 nights of staying up into the early hours of the morning had me dragging.  With it being a school night and my oldest son wanting to go with me (he was my Friday night partner where we hooked one but had it break off), we decided to hit it early and slid the boat into a different lake at about 5:15 PM. The water in this particular lake is very low and the gators are very concentrated. As we pulled up to the boat ramp my heart sank as there was a solid 9+ foot gator carcass floating by the shore. Not sure who or what took it out, but it was a shame to see it laying there in waste. I had scouted this lake and although there were a lot of gators, there were very few of decent size and now one of them was no longer an option.

We motored out into the lake and observed for a few minutes, finally spotting one that should have exceeded 9 feet. A good cast with a weighted treble hook and I had him on, only to have him thrash the hook out. We spent the next hour looking for that gator to resurface, but I have no clue where he went. As we were sitting and watching, Mason called my attention to one on the other side of the boat. I asked him if he liked that one, to which he replied, “I would be happy with any of them!”  This was about the next best one aside from the previous hook-up so I again cast the hook and sent the barb home. After the gator made his initial run, I handed the rod off to Mason who began the tug of war- taking line in only to have twice that much ripped off the reel.  Mason reeled, tugged, groaned and grinned as he fought the lizard up to the boat. I stood ready with another line on a harpoon and took the first opportunity I had to get another line in it. Once the second line was secured, the odds shifted heavily in our favor and we brought him alongside where a splitting headache was introduced. As the bang-stick sounded, the fight was over and Mason promptly told me he felt like he was about to throw-up and his arms wouldn’t stop shaking. After a few high-fives, a bottle of water and a young man offering a prayer of gratitude for his harvest, we taped the mouth and rolled the gator in the boat.

Once we loaded the boat and got back to the house, a round of pictures were taken and the tale of the tape was read. Seven feet and four inches was the recorded length. Some may not be impressed by the quality of this trophy but the memories of taking this animal with my son couldn’t be any more fulfilling had it been 17 feet long.  I’m sure the young fellow is dragging tail at school today as he stuck with me late into the night skinning and boning out the meat. I hope the memory of the adventure we shared together means as much to him as it does to me.
    Great Job!
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 967 Officer
    Picture says it all. Proud papa and memories to take with both of you forever. Good stuff
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,370 Officer
    That's what it's all about - great story and nice gator bottomtime.  Both the meat and hide on that size gator are usually very good.  Cheers.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    just talked to a guy who has 16 tags to fill. I asked how he was able to get 8 permits, he said he had 8 new girls in the office apply..all 8 were drawn! 
    just talked to a guy who has 16 tags to fill. I asked how he was able to get 8 permits, he said he had 8 new girls in the office apply..all 8 were drawn! 
    Not sure how that is going to work out but I see a headache in his future.

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.

This was the first year I have applied for gator tags and was fortunate enough to get drawn for county-wide tags in Jefferson County. After scouting around and then talking to a homeowner on a private lake very close to my house, I set out to harvest the 10 footer that is a regular visitor to his dock. After three nights of pursuing this gator and being duped by his disappearing tactics into the lily pads, I decided to try something different on Sunday night.

I am not a late night person and the previous 3 nights of staying up into the early hours of the morning had me dragging.  With it being a school night and my oldest son wanting to go with me (he was my Friday night partner where we hooked one but had it break off), we decided to hit it early and slid the boat into a different lake at about 5:15 PM. The water in this particular lake is very low and the gators are very concentrated. As we pulled up to the boat ramp my heart sank as there was a solid 9+ foot gator carcass floating by the shore. Not sure who or what took it out, but it was a shame to see it laying there in waste. I had scouted this lake and although there were a lot of gators, there were very few of decent size and now one of them was no longer an option.

We motored out into the lake and observed for a few minutes, finally spotting one that should have exceeded 9 feet. A good cast with a weighted treble hook and I had him on, only to have him thrash the hook out. We spent the next hour looking for that gator to resurface, but I have no clue where he went. As we were sitting and watching, Mason called my attention to one on the other side of the boat. I asked him if he liked that one, to which he replied, “I would be happy with any of them!”  This was about the next best one aside from the previous hook-up so I again cast the hook and sent the barb home. After the gator made his initial run, I handed the rod off to Mason who began the tug of war- taking line in only to have twice that much ripped off the reel.  Mason reeled, tugged, groaned and grinned as he fought the lizard up to the boat. I stood ready with another line on a harpoon and took the first opportunity I had to get another line in it. Once the second line was secured, the odds shifted heavily in our favor and we brought him alongside where a splitting headache was introduced. As the bang-stick sounded, the fight was over and Mason promptly told me he felt like he was about to throw-up and his arms wouldn’t stop shaking. After a few high-fives, a bottle of water and a young man offering a prayer of gratitude for his harvest, we taped the mouth and rolled the gator in the boat.

Once we loaded the boat and got back to the house, a round of pictures were taken and the tale of the tape was read. Seven feet and four inches was the recorded length. Some may not be impressed by the quality of this trophy but the memories of taking this animal with my son couldn’t be any more fulfilling had it been 17 feet long.  I’m sure the young fellow is dragging tail at school today as he stuck with me late into the night skinning and boning out the meat. I hope the memory of the adventure we shared together means as much to him as it does to me.
    You had the perfect hunt.  Two big and he would have had a much harder time on the rod.  With the market the way it is I have way more people going for better hide gators for product than big gators to sell.  Ones success should be measured by completing personal goals not by a measuring tape.  He had to go back to class king of the hill.  My wife wants to do a trip with the kids again this year, hopefully we can free everyone up from daily tasks at the same time.