Hope they get put away for a long time

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Seven suspected members of a boat theft ring that target numerous boat owners throughout Miami-Dade have been arrested.

The alleged ringleaders of the operation were a father and son. William Baez-Cartalla, 48, is facing multiple charges including armed burglary, burglary, grand theft, racketeering. His son, 22-year-old William Baez-Valdes, is facing grand theft and racketeering charges.

The charges they face could potentially lead to a sentence of 30 years in prison if convicted.

William Baez-Cartalla (left) and his son William Baez-Valdes (right) were reportedly the ringleaders of a boat theft operation. (Source: Miami-Dade Corrections)

The other five arrested were 22-year-old Christian Martinez-Amor, 21-year-old Luis Sanchez-Rodriguez, 27-year-old Roberto Torres, 35-year-old Alejandro Saez-Garrido, and 29-year-old Yerandy Machado. Charges against these five include grand theft, conspiracy to racketeer, burglary, and grand theft.

Christian Martinez-Amor (left) and Luis Sanchez-Rodriguez (right) were charged with racketeering and grand theft. (Source: Miami-dade Corrections)

According to Miami-Dade police investigators, Baez-Cartalla and his son would steal Ford pick up trucks to have them ready for future boat thefts.

Baez-Cartalla or his son would then pick up another member of the alleged ring and drive them to the stolen truck. Once there, the alleged ring member was told to follow them in the truck to a targeted residence.

Once there Baez-Cartalla would use a blow torch to cut the locks on the gates and boat trailers. The boat would then be hooked up to the stolen truck and they would drive off to a specified location where the alleged ring member would be paid.

Baez-Cartalla and the others would then reportedly strip the boat of valuable outboard motors and electronics.

Miami-Dade police said they believe the ring had been operating for more than a year.

In September 2018, surveillance video at a home in the 11000 block of SW 38th Terrace captured two men trying to steal a boat from the backyard. The homeowner hit the alarm and them drove off. Arriving officers spotted a Nissan Sentra fleeing the residence and stopped it. Inside were Baez-Cartalla and Torres.

A canvas of the area turned up a Ford F250, which had been stolen a month earlier from a man in Hialeah.

Using the surveillance video and cell phone tower records, investigators said they were able to identify and arrest seven members of the operation.

Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle and Miami-Dade Police Director Juan Perez have scheduled a 3 p.m. news conference on the arrests.

Replies

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 478 Deckhand
    edited August 21 #2
    Well done Miami-Dade police...thank you!  :)

William Baez-Cartalla (left) and his son William Baez-Valdes (right) 

"Train up a child in the way he should go;
        even when he is old he will not depart from it."  ~ Proverbs 22:6

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• Android77Android77 Posts: 488 Deckhand
    Poster Children for Trumps immigration policies.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 7,218 Admiral
    We don't mention the Golfer in chief by name
  • CaptDavidGonzalezCaptDavidGonzalez Atlanta/SarasotaPosts: 112 Deckhand
    We don't mention the Golfer in chief by name
    Perhaps your cousins could stop stealing boats. It ain't political. 
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,282 Officer
    While they all should face a severe sentence, the father should face a stiffer sentence in my opinion.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,404 Captain
    Dream on.... I did 22 years in police work locally before I got an early retirement and went back to fishing as a full time guide years ago.... Spent too much time in and out of one court or other as a result- and rarely ever saw any justice at all... I’m sure I did see it once or twice - but it was purely incidental to everything else going on...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    edited September 8 #8
    Dream on.... I did 22 years in police work locally before I got an early retirement and went back to fishing as a full time guide years ago.... Spent too much time in and out of one court or other as a result- and rarely ever saw any justice at all... I’m sure I did see it once or twice - but it was purely incidental to everything else going on...
    Firstly, thanks for your service and sacrifices. So sad to hear about your first hand experiences.  Public order and due process are a delicate balance. Moral relativity and secular humanism have undermined the pillars of our great republic i.e. traditional family, education, and Christianity.

“Two things I ask of you, Lord;
        do not refuse me before I die:
    Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
        give me neither poverty nor riches,
        but give me only my daily bread.
    Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
        and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
    Or I may become poor and steal,
        and so dishonor the name of my God.

Proverbs 30:7-9

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 7,218 Admiral
    Firstly, thanks for your service and sacrifices. So sad to hear about your first hand experiences.  Public order and due process are a delicate balance. Moral relativity and secular humanism have undermined the pillars of our great republic i.e. traditional family, education, and Christianity.

one does not need religion to tell the  difference in right and wrong  
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,972 Captain
    edited September 9 #10

one does not need religion to tell the  difference in right and wrong  

No but if it works for that person than why criticize it. I don't believe in "organized" religion as IMO it has become a business but if it works for some than so be it. I do believe there is a higher being(God) that has more than once became a  influence in my life that has pulled me out of many difficult situations.. If you choose not to believe, than I don't put you down, but likewise you respect or at least tolerate those who do believe as long as they are not forcing it on you.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

edited September 11 #11
    conchydong is this the type "organized religion" that you don't believe in? 
    If not please explain what you are referring to...thanks!

BAHAMAS RELIEF: OPERATION BBQ
    https://mailchi.mp/crpc/operation-bbq-relief?e=54f7123d3d