Home General Hunting

Is doe urine bait?

MikeStMikeSt Fort MyersPosts: 24 Deckhand
When hunting on public land a lot (if not all!!) brochures state that it is not permitted to use bait. Bait by itself is apparently considered an edible substance. So is doe urine permitted to use? My common sense would tell me it is not permitted but I see this question popping up here and there with inconclusive results!!
Does anybody know for sure?

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,474 Admiral
    edited August 2019 #2
    NO .But RaCoon pee works better if your trying to draw in a buck following a doe in rut. 
    Them does are curious and I've had them going crazy smelling a tree..while the Buck stood 30 yards away thinking this B...is crazy..
    I've had Doe in Heat out and watched a bunch of does hit the scent and run like the woods were on fire.
    Does don't like to be around does in Heat cause the bucks will drive them crazy..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,491 Captain
    Doe pee is not considered bait. Neither are food scents that are not designed to inspire a deer to ingest what you put it on.  For example, vanilla extract on your boots is not bait. But liquid root extract like Cmere Deer that makes a buck eat the stump you put it on, is bait. 

There has been a push to ban commercial doe pee in Florida, but I am not sure where that stands. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,578 Captain
    NO .But **** pee works better if your trying to draw in a buck following a doe in rut. 
    Them does are curious and I've had them going crazy smelling a tree..while the Buck stood 30 yards away thinking this B...is crazy..
    I've had Doe in Heat out and watched a bunch of does hit the scent and run like the woods were on fire.
    Does don't like to be around does in Heat cause the bucks will drive them crazy..

Keep what you do to your neighbors to yourself. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    AH , A Stalker..
    Am I living in your head this morning Jon.....
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    Doe pee is not considered bait. Neither are food scents that are not designed to inspire a deer to ingest what you put it on.  For example, vanilla extract on your boots is not bait. But liquid root extract like Cmere Deer that makes a buck eat the stump you put it on, is bait. 

There has been a push to ban commercial doe pee in Florida, but I am not sure where that stands. 
    HaHa and then a reason to justify stop and frisk hunters at will for doe pee - ?
    The proposal to ban commercial deer urine is to keep CWD out of the state. 

And to do some justice on a fraudulent industry. There’s not enough deer in captivity to make all of the doe estrus that’s sold. A large portion of supposed deer urine isn’t from deer. Often its goat. Sometimes its human. 

Nor is the actual scent that bucks follow to find hot does actually in the urine. Its directly from her **** and its an alcohol that breaks down after a few hours. It cannot be preserved. 

So its all a scam anyhow and the industry deserves a swift kick in the pocket book. 

There are ways to make scent lures that consistently work. Factories don’t factor into the equation. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,578 Captain
    AH , A Stalker..
    Lol, that was last night I think. forgot to include smiley face. ;)
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    This isn't a deer attracting scent to any degree, but it is a pretty good "cover-up" type scent that will camouflage your odor. You may want to try it, and if you do and IF you are observant you'll notice that it works pretty good.

DEER TALLOW:

Easy to make: Simply cut the fat out of a deer that you successfully get, render it down to a liquid on low heat and bottle it in a Mason Jar for future use. It will not go rancid in years. (Even almost fat-free deer will have some fat around the kidneys--called "leaf fat"). Then when hunting season rolls around melt some of the tallow and cover your boots well with it. Spray a fair amount on your pants legs up to about knee high, and you're good to go. This helps mask your scent and may actually attracts Bucks' to a small degree I think. I've done this in my wildlife management work, walked through the woods to an observation point, then watched deer both male and female ease along where I had walked sniffing and smelling the tallow. I don't think it would be illegal---Florida Bullfrog will know.
    AH , A Stalker..
    Lol, that was last night I think. forgot to include smiley face. ;)
    I don't remember all of last night either....Glad you got some fishing in with your Boys on this rainy weekend...
    This isn't a deer attracting scent to any degree, but it is a pretty good "cover-up" type scent that will camouflage your odor. You may want to try it, and if you do and IF you are observant you'll notice that it works pretty good.

DEER TALLOW:

Easy to make: Simply cut the fat out of a deer that you successfully get, render it down to a liquid on low heat and bottle it in a Mason Jar for future use. It will not go rancid in years. (Even almost fat-free deer will have some fat around the kidneys--called "leaf fat"). Then when hunting season rolls around melt some of the tallow and cover your boots well with it. Spray a fair amount on your pants legs up to about knee high, and you're good to go. This helps mask your scent and may actually attracts Bucks' to a small degree I think. I've done this in my wildlife management work, walked through the woods to an observation point, then watched deer both male and female ease along where I had walked sniffing and smelling the tallow. I don't think it would be illegal---Florida Bullfrog will know.
    It is not illegal as it is not a bait. 

But you’re going to give away the farm if you keep talking.  :# 

;) 
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain

There is current work being done right now in the FWC in regards to a possible ban on deer products.  As mentioned above it is due to CWD concerns.  Funny thing is that while they are so concerned they were not talking about banning import of deer **** and introducing it into deer in FL.  There is now way to test clean either body fluid.  And we all know that captive wildlife has never managed to get free.  Glad all the big cats were accounted for after the last hurricane.  Do not mind a few big body deer adding to the local gene pool.

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 295 Deckhand
    edited August 2019 #13
    I been told if I strain all the liquid  out of sour mash and poor in on the ground or let it drip from a scent bag it legal as a scent.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 621 Officer
    Food for thought... 
    If I put corn down and the shoot the deer before it eats it. Is that baiting ? Lol 
    dont worry I’ll pick up every piece before I leave. 
    Acorns will be dropping in another Month and Corn will rot on the ground in my woods. Hogs will be busy with the Acorns as well.
    Be a good Racoon bait soon..