Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Offshore numbers and spots

SaltyJaxSaltyJax Jacksonville, FLPosts: 19 Deckhand
After only owning an inshore boat I picked up my first offshore CC. I'm basically starting with nothing and It seems like most public numbers I've gotten on FWC or JOSFC's website are all within 30 miles and less than 100ft of water. My questions:
  • Where, if at all, can I find some number further offshore, 100-150 feet of water say 30-50 miles? I'm not asking your personal #'s just advice on how to get my own or if there are any sources I can use to get some. Or do I just have to drive around the **** Atlantic Ocean until I see a change on the bottom LOL?
  • Has anyone had any luck buying gps chips online or are they generally all public numbers your buying on them?
Any help is appreciated.

Tight lines,
DW
Tight lines,
DW

Replies

• waterbumwaterbum Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    My GPS has a lot of general spots and go from there. I still have paper charts and there is numbers and spots on them. I still plan trips off paper charts with the weather and fish I'm looking for. Good luck.
  • LouDLouD Posts: 168 Deckhand
    There are commercial SD cards that sell for over $100. A popular area is Elton Bottom located around N30 29.7-9XX W80 34-35.XXX. This is about 50 miles from the jetties. It's about 120ft deep. Go upwind and drift to establish your own productive waypoints. Good luck and be safe.
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 870 Officer
    I have been using a CMOR chart card, it uses the high definition sonar data from the navy and displays on your chart plotter. Only bad thing it starts at around 50 miles out. And it is expensive. But it puts you in the areas where there are bottom fish, not sand. Another thing you can do is get some big lipped swimming plugs. I have had good luck with Nomad DTX plugs and just troll around out there at 8 knots. You have a good chance of catching wahoo and big kings and you will find bottom spots while you troll. Here is a number for a popular wreck called the pipes. It is just over 40 miles due east of mayport 30-22.805N, 080-33.570. That way at least you have a place to start or finish your day and catch something. Lots of amberjacks to pull on if you don't find any small spots on the troll. If you want to go to the southeast, here is the numbers for the dry dock 30-07.060, 080-33.570. Another big wreck around 47 miles from the jetties.
  • SaltyJaxSaltyJax Jacksonville, FLPosts: 19 Deckhand
    Pangaman said:
    I have been using a CMOR chart card, it uses the high definition sonar data from the navy and displays on your chart plotter. Only bad thing it starts at around 50 miles out. And it is expensive. But it puts you in the areas where there are bottom fish, not sand. Another thing you can do is get some big lipped swimming plugs. I have had good luck with Nomad DTX plugs and just troll around out there at 8 knots. You have a good chance of catching wahoo and big kings and you will find bottom spots while you troll. Here is a number for a popular wreck called the pipes. It is just over 40 miles due east of mayport 30-22.805N, 080-33.570. That way at least you have a place to start or finish your day and catch something. Lots of amberjacks to pull on if you don't find any small spots on the troll. If you want to go to the southeast, here is the numbers for the dry dock 30-07.060, 080-33.570. Another big wreck around 47 miles from the jetties.
    Thanks for the info and numbers! Much appreciated. If this darn weather will clear  up and cooperate I'll put them to use!
    Tight lines,
    DW
  • Knot TonightKnot Tonight Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    We also use the CMOR card. Like Panga said, it doesn't show anything until way out. What is nice is it shows all of the bottom contours such as drop offs,ledges,etc. You can navigate to those spots and as soon as you go over them, watch your bottom graph and you will usually see something.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,593 Captain
    I think I got this when SeaSnake shared it ... I havent actually studied it like he does YET but killer for the local reefs..

https://tisiri.org/reefs/jacksonville-reefs/
  • Knotty DreadKnotty Dread Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Check out the TopSpot Fishing Map for NE Florida. They're cheap. Can be bought online or at most local tackle stores.  Lots of numbers.  Plug it in and go.  Drive around the numbers, watch your bottom machine, and develop your own numbers near those public numbers. You will catch fish.  

• cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 319 Deckhand
    Hey panga.  if nobody else will say it, I will- that was Strong.  Way to help out.  We’ve all been there (hell, I still am) and a helpful word from a pro goes a long way. Well done, if you need any help, I’m onboard. Answering to dauntless. 
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.