Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

New Boat emergency equipment?

SaltyJaxSaltyJax Jacksonville, FLPosts: 19 Deckhand
Title says it all. After years of only fishing inshore unless invited to go out with someone or on a charter I upgraded the inshore skiff to a 23" CC. I'm trying to put together a shopping list for emergency equipment since I'll be pushing offshore now. I'm newer to captaining a boat offshore. Other than the standard required safety equip e.g. fire extinguisher, flares, etc. what else will save my [email protected]@ in a worse case scenario out there?

Epirb, handheld VHF, DSC/ AIS registration, someone mentioned a second bilge pump with alligator clips. All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Tight lines,
DW
Tight lines,
DW

Replies

• big baitbig bait Posts: 426 Deckhand
    sounds likes you got it all.
    i put a bag together that has all my emergency signals, epirb, flares new and whistle.
    i put a backup key, kill switch and a sat phone in it as well.
    good luck

• Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,527 Admiral
    Hard wire your second bilge pump, and test them before every trip. 

Dont rely on a hand held VHF.....fixed mount with a good antenna......coastal life raft is a good idea, buy a used one if you need to. and get it repacked from time to time......get SEA tow or Tow boat...cheap insurance  
  • LouDLouD Posts: 168 Deckhand
    Back up hand held GPS. I love my Garmin InReach device that tracks me and allows texting when out of cell range. I document my trips and my wife can see where we are from her computer. Add a large wire cutter or bolt cutter that would cut the barb end off a hook so you can back it out of someones body. I've used mine twice on my boat and twice helping others. 
  • SaltyJaxSaltyJax Jacksonville, FLPosts: 19 Deckhand
    big bait said:
    sounds likes you got it all.
    i put a bag together that has all my emergency signals, epirb, flares new and whistle.
    i put a backup key, kill switch and a sat phone in it as well.
    good luck

I have no experience with satellite phones, any recommendations? Would a satellite phone replace the need for a handheld VHF? I've already got the fixed mount VHF.
    Tight lines,
    DW
    Sea Snake said:
    Hard wire your second bilge pump, and test them before every trip. 

Dont rely on a hand held VHF.....fixed mount with a good antenna......coastal life raft is a good idea, buy a used one if you need to. and get it repacked from time to time......get SEA tow or Tow boat...cheap insurance  
    Thanks! Any suggestions on an affordable life raft? It's only a 23cc so space is a thing and I know some of them can be large, bulky, and expensive.

So don't use the alligator clips, hard wire it like the normal pump?
    Tight lines,
    DW
    LouD said:
    Back up hand held GPS. I love my Garmin InReach device that tracks me and allows texting when out of cell range. I document my trips and my wife can see where we are from her computer. Add a large wire cutter or bolt cutter that would cut the barb end off a hook so you can back it out of someones body. I've used mine twice on my boat and twice helping others. 
    Thanks! That handheld GPS sounds similar to a satellite phone but text only, is it basically the same thing? Would that replace the need for hand held VHF? What is the subscription like on that?
    Tight lines,
    DW
  • LouDLouD Posts: 168 Deckhand
    The Garmin InReach has different plans for payment. I use one that only charges you when it is in use and charges per contact with the satellite. for a full day of fishing it will cost about  $20-25 which we divide among the crew. It does not substitute for a back-up hand held VHF that you could use to contact other boats in your area when you are out of range to the shore and your fixed mount VHF is broken or unavailable ie: you have abandoned ship.  

• BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,580 Captain
    Def get SeaTow or something similar,, a good VHF and antena,, EPRIB, Lifejackets, flares, whistle, etc... and a ditch bag like big bait mentioned is what you want... you can add a few waters, mirror for flashing, flashlights, etc....

handheld VHF, DSC/ AIS registration, life raft, InReach, satelite phone, etc.. are great ideas but not completely necessary if you are within 20 miles in my opinion,,,,, but do offer great peace of mind for sure and you can't put a price tag on that or your life or others on board...  extra bilidge is a good idea but I put my plug in from the inside of the bilge so if all else fails I can get moving forward, take the plug out till the water is done running out and put the plug back in while under way.. and it works... had to do it twice..

you have to become a part-time weather man too... watch the forecasts closely and make your call on the moring of... pick your days, have a float plan and register the boat with the CG.   and don't be afraid to do a radio check everytime you're out there and even when you get out there... we might wanna fight each other over a spot but we will always come running to help no matter what.... be couteous and be safe!
    Def get SeaTow or something similar,, a good VHF and antena,, EPRIB, Lifejackets, flares, whistle, etc... and a ditch bag like big bait mentioned is what you want... you can add a few waters, mirror for flashing, flashlights, etc....

handheld VHF, DSC/ AIS registration, life raft, InReach, satelite phone, etc.. are great ideas but not completely necessary if you are within 20 miles in my opinion,,,,, but do offer great peace of mind for sure and you can't put a price tag on that or your life or others on board...  extra bilidge is a good idea but I put my plug in from the inside of the bilge so if all else fails I can get moving forward, take the plug out till the water is done running out and put the plug back in while under way.. and it works... had to do it twice..

you have to become a part-time weather man too... watch the forecasts closely and make your call on the moring of... pick your days, have a float plan and register the boat with the CG.   and don't be afraid to do a radio check everytime you're out there and even when you get out there... we might wanna fight each other over a spot but we will always come running to help no matter what.... be couteous and be safe!
    Thanks! What channel do you guys usually test the VHF on?
    Tight lines,
    DW
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 401 Deckhand
    edited August 2019 #11
    Get something to plug through hull fittings, wax ring, plugs etc. Bolt cutters and hope you don't need them. Have real offshore life jackets with whistle, strobe light and line to tie together.
  • Drift TideDrift Tide Posts: 179 Deckhand
    Definitely get a handheld VHF, along with the optional battery tray to replace the rechargable batteries (when they go dead) with standard alkaline batteries, and two sets of alkaline batteries.  But the most important part is to get the adapter antenna cable so you can unscrew the handheld antenna and connect its smaller coax receptacle to the larger main boat antenna coax cable.  That way, if main radio fails, or you lose the electrical sysytem on the boat, just unscrew the coax cable out if the main radio and you can then connect the handheld to the main boat antenna and still have good radio range.  The extra batteries and tray are for extended usage of the handheld under emergency situation.
    Definitely get a handheld VHF, along with the optional battery tray to replace the rechargable batteries (when they go dead) with standard alkaline batteries, and two sets of alkaline batteries.  But the most important part is to get the adapter antenna cable so you can unscrew the handheld antenna and connect its smaller coax receptacle to the larger main boat antenna coax cable.  That way, if main radio fails, or you lose the electrical sysytem on the boat, just unscrew the coax cable out if the main radio and you can then connect the handheld to the main boat antenna and still have good radio range.  The extra batteries and tray are for extended usage of the handheld under emergency situation.
    Nice! Did not not know they had the coax feature on the handheld. Good info.
    Tight lines,
    DW
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,975 AG
    I forget who said to have a bilge pump wired with gator clips stored somewhere in the boat in case your regular bilge goes out but it's a brilliant idea. 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • acme54321acme54321 Posts: 351 Deckhand
    Number on thing on top of the required items is a PLB or EPIRB without question.  Handheld VHFs are pretty much worthless if you're in the water unless the receiving end is right on top of you. 

• model14model14 JacksonvillePosts: 1,035 Officer
    Get a bigger boat to hold all of the safety gear :D
  • ColterColter Posts: 248 Deckhand
    edited August 2019 #17
    Sea/ storm anchor important to have in case you lose power and need to keep your bow into the sea.
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 793 Officer
    What model 14 said and you may want to consider a 2nd job.
  • StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 207 Deckhand
    Picked up a Garmin InReach today.  Seems to due the duty of PLB and handheld vhf with its ability to text.  
  • acme54321acme54321 Posts: 351 Deckhand
    Colter said:
    Sea/ storm anchor important to have in case you loose power and need to keep your bow into the sea.
    In an emergency, tie a 5 gallon bucket (or anything similar that will stay submerged and cause drag) to your anchor line and let it out with a lot of line.  Everyone has a bucket on their boat.  On that same note it's also a good idea to have way more acnhor line that you would ever think you'll need.
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,313 Officer
    A couple of compact sized waterproof (IPX7) rated LED flashlights. I particularly like the aluminum body ones with a Cree T6 LED, zoomable lens, and High, Med and Low power settings, and fast and slow strobe. Low cost on amazon and worth every penny. You can probably get 10 of them for under $50 and stash them everywhere (inside a ziplock freezer bag with a silica gel packet if you're into overkill.)

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• pappypappy Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    When your flares expire keep the old ones on board so you have spares.  Get offshore rated life jackets and put strobes, whistles, signal mirrors on them.  If you have to get in the water take the lunch cooler with you if possible and enough line to tie you all together to the cooler.  

Get right with God and get saved now so he knows who you are when you start praying!!!
  • ColterColter Posts: 248 Deckhand
    edited August 2019 #23
    acme54321 said:
    Colter said:
    Sea/ storm anchor important to have in case you loose power and need to keep your bow into the sea.
    In an emergency, tie a 5 gallon bucket (or anything similar that will stay submerged and cause drag) to your anchor line and let it out with a lot of line.  Everyone has a bucket on their boat.  On that same note it's also a good idea to have way more acnhor line that you would ever think you'll need.
    Good copy Acme. 5-gallon bucket would be the improvise method which I think is the point you are making. The metal handle bent around/ into the plastic rim of a bucket is not something one should depend on.  Sea anchor and plenty of regular anchor line is a smart move for the boater trying to get ahead of hairy situations. I carry two anchor set ups in case I lose one. I have about 600' of line on board. 7:1 scope is what they say..
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,580 Captain
    @Salty,  try this for VHF tests.. https://www.seatow.com/tools-and-education/automated-radio-check   there is one for ST A too..

and I like the idea Drift Tide has for the hand-held version!!  I got get me that set up now... always thought like Acme mentioned..  thanks for sharing DT!
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,527 Admiral
    I have a compact .243 in a waterproof case, with a box of shells......just in case some yahoo gets a wild hair, and wants to take my boat !!

.....just sayin'......