Home Off Topic

Trying to decide on a new used truck...help would be appreciated.

2»

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,038 Admiral
    My last three trucks were Fords but my 2005 ended up being a nightmare the last year or so. Cam Phasers and the transmission, were the major things with a ton of minor things. Ford knew about the cam phasor issues on the Triton 5.4s for a few model years but blamed it on not using a motocraft oil filter. BS. Kind of soured me with Ford. I had a Chevy before my Fords and the only issue was  with clutch plates. My friend has a 2006 Dodge with the Cummins and it has been a good truck. It is all a crap shoot. Good luck with your choice.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,236 AG
    Fish Haid said:
    Go with an F150.  This one.  I'll knock another $100 off just for you.

I need that truck but not until May!  hold on to it for me, perfect first truck for my boy
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain

Why not something special? Not same ole same ole? ;)

$15,500 - plenty of cash left over for a tow service....

• The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 4,038 Captain
    Go to the Mechanic you use and ask him which brand he likes to work on.  Get that model.  If you are buying a truck it should have 4 wheel drive capacity or else it's really just a car............
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,537 Admiral
    bicyclist said:

This is what I did.  I found a 1985 Chevy C10 for sale with 26,000 original miles.  Truck is in mint condition, looks like it just came off the lot.  My logic behind buying it was it will not depreciate too drastically and might even appreciate over time or I could have a bought a late model used truck with a lot of miles and watch it depreciate over time.  I do baby it being its a classic truck.

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,059 Captain
    Go to the Mechanic you use and ask him which brand he likes to work on.  Get that model.  If you are buying a truck it should have 4 wheel drive capacity or else it's really just a car............
    Trucks are available in two wheel drive???????
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    Fish Haid said:

Wow, sun roof too.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,038 Admiral
    Of all my Ford trucks the one I had with the 4.9 straight 6 and manual transmission was my favorite even if it didn't have the bells and whistles.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

King_Me said:
    bicyclist said:

This is what I did.  I found a 1985 Chevy C10 for sale with 26,000 original miles.  Truck is in mint condition, looks like it just came off the lot.  My logic behind buying it was it will not depreciate too drastically and might even appreciate over time or I could have a bought a late model used truck with a lot of miles and watch it depreciate over time.  I do baby it being its a classic truck.

Three on the tree? Those are neat trucks!
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,248 Captain
    King_Me said:

I think you have one of Chevys best looking trucks. Sold a 87 to get a brand new 04. Always wished I kept the 87.
    Of all my Ford trucks the one I had with the 4.9 straight 6 and manual transmission was my favorite even if it didn't have the bells and whistles.
    One of my trucks was an E-150 with the 4.9L 6 banger, I had 285k on that one when I sold it, bought it with 110k for 2500 and sold it for 1300. How can you beat that?
    Tight Lines, Steve

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    Fish Haid said:

I need that truck but not until May!  hold on to it for me, perfect first truck for my boy
    Just be sure to sterilize that ****-mobile.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • smallboatsmallboat Posts: 1,598 Captain
    smallboat said:
    is there a reason Chevy/GMC and Ram have been ruled out?  or Nissan?   I've had great luck with all of these trucks, and the GM and Ram lines both have pretty solid V8 motors.   No idea about the Nissan though. 
    RAM is great if you're ready for it to implode in 6 years. interior crack, fall apart, pieces rusted.
    Chevy - Not much different than Ford except less on the power front. Reliability is a bit less and interior is just being updated. 
    Nissan - no experience, but last I looked they hadn't updated their styling/interior in years.

Ford is the "tinny" one. All aluminum body means dents everywhere, expensive bodywork, but great mileage. Interior is nice and power is impressive in the ecoboost.

Toyota - Legendary reliability, highest resale value, hell of a work truck. Mileage is terrible. Interior is decent. 
    I have a 2012 Ram 112k miles and nothing wrong with the interior.  No rust.   Hasn't imploeded yet   Have you owned one?  I have had a Toyota and my FJ was the clunkiest POS I've ever owned, plastic feeling, cheap junk.   
    Yes, multiple Dodge Rams in the family. All interiors dash cracked and fell apart. Multiple parts on the body and underneath rusted completely through. 
    2012 isn't old and 112k is just getting warmed up for a Toyota. I'm talking about longevity. 200+ on the all of them. They made it, the Dodge just required more work and looked to be in much worse shape. 
    smallboat said:
    smallboat said:
    is there a reason Chevy/GMC and Ram have been ruled out?  or Nissan?   I've had great luck with all of these trucks, and the GM and Ram lines both have pretty solid V8 motors.   No idea about the Nissan though. 
    RAM is great if you're ready for it to implode in 6 years. interior crack, fall apart, pieces rusted.
    Chevy - Not much different than Ford except less on the power front. Reliability is a bit less and interior is just being updated. 
    Nissan - no experience, but last I looked they hadn't updated their styling/interior in years.

Ford is the "tinny" one. All aluminum body means dents everywhere, expensive bodywork, but great mileage. Interior is nice and power is impressive in the ecoboost.

Toyota - Legendary reliability, highest resale value, hell of a work truck. Mileage is terrible. Interior is decent. 
    I have a 2012 Ram 112k miles and nothing wrong with the interior.  No rust.   Hasn't imploeded yet   Have you owned one?  I have had a Toyota and my FJ was the clunkiest POS I've ever owned, plastic feeling, cheap junk.   
    Yes, multiple Dodge Rams in the family. All interiors dash cracked and fell apart. Multiple parts on the body and underneath rusted completely through. 
    2012 isn't old and 112k is just getting warmed up for a Toyota. I'm talking about longevity. 200+ on the all of them. They made it, the Dodge just required more work and looked to be in much worse shape. 
    My 92 cummins has no dash cracks and all electronics work.
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,596 Captain
    Another issue I'm having trouble with is the fact that I've been soooo fortunate with the vehicles I've had through the years. I'm a electro/mechanical tech by trade, not much I can't fix. I've been driving for 41 years...I've never had to take a vehicle to a dealer for repair...I've only paid for two transmissions rebuilds, two A/C compressor replacements, transmission services, tires and alignments. Everything else I've done myself. I currently drive a 2003 F150 extended cab 158k, bought it with 96k on it five years ago. The A/C compressor, one transmission service, and a couple of alignments, and tires are the only things I had to pay someone else to do.  I want something nicer now with a crew cab...but the thought of everything being so computerized, I know I'll need to take to a mechanic/dealer if it has problems...sounds like a lot of the newer stuff has problems.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,537 Admiral

Here's a pic of the 85' Chevy that I bought.  Has a 305 V8 with an automatic trans.  Been a really good truck so far.  No AC but has wing windows!

King_Me said:

Here's a pic of the 85' Chevy that I bought.  Has a 305 V8 with an automatic trans.  Been a really good truck so far.  No AC but has wing windows!

those old squarebodies were nice trucks.    Was never a huge fan of the old 305 v8 but they always got the job done. 
    In the late 80's I had an 78 (I think it was a 78) Cheyenne with the 305 short bed 2-WD. What a solid truck that thing was! It loved its some gas though...got horrible gas mileage.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,017 Admiral
    Don't get one that shuts off at every stop
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,533 AG
    I bought an 85 Silverado off the lot. Came with a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty.
        They had exactly the right warranty on that one. 
      I wasn’t happy with it.
    I think that today, most all of the trucks are well built. Get the one you like.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• Gary SGary S Posts: 2,248 Captain
    King_Me said:

Pretty truck but I don't think I could do the no A/C thing. Someone took care of that one.
    surfman said:
    I think that today, most all of the trucks are well built. Get the one you like.
    True...I just need to pull the trigger and be done with it.

Thanks all!!
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    bicyclist said:

Because he is not Amish.
    I think you mean luddite. 
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,411 Officer
    Redaction said:
    surfman said:
    True...I just need to pull the trigger and be done with it.

Thanks all!!
    They are all well built.... But yes, nearly all vehicles built today will have no less then 10 computers all networked together. Even something as simple as a window switch is a computer and i can communicate with it via a laptop.
    You will still be able to do most of the turning wrenches part but diagnosing some electrical issues will require professional knowledge and tools.
    Good luck with whatever you choose! 
    Jason :USA
    Can i ask what the intent is for using the truck?  If you aren't going to use it as a full time work truck and the miles aren't going to go crazy might consider leasing a truck.