Home Off Topic

Bought some more goat today.

13»

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,685 AG
    bicyclist said:
    Intentionally eating things that give one the squirts is just odd. 

Only if you do it wrong...
    The Problem with Escolar

Escolar cannot metabolize the wax esters naturally found in its diet. These esters are called gempylotoxin, and this is what gives the flesh of escolar its oily texture. The downside is that these esters are are very similar to castor or mineral oil, and when full portions of escolar are consumed, they can cause gastrointestinal symptoms. To be frankly and bluntly specific — and I’m sorry for this — consumption of escolar causes explosive, oily, orange diarrhea. People have reported that the discharges are often difficult to control and accidents can happen while passing gas.

Yea that's toxic.........I'll just have the salad...thanks.

https://www.thekitchn.com/use-caution-when-eating-escola-66602
    Sounds like that Olestra stuff they were using in potato chips in the late 90s. No calories, but if you ate more than a few, you were going to need to change clothes, 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    Intentionally eating things that give one the squirts is just odd. 

I guess it's really no different from so many that drink knowing they will feel bad in the morning and much of the next day.  "Doing it right" means extreme moderation in both instances. 

Since I've done the latter, I'll withhold judgment on the voluntary squirters.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    mplspug said:
    My favorite sushi is mackerel, but **** it has to be fresh.  

Yeah I know all sushi has to be fresh, but there are places that aren't quite as fresh as others.
    I agree with the Mackerel. But it is aged, fresh sushi is not as good as slightly aged.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    I eat Spanish raw all the time.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,129 Admiral
    bicyclist said:
    mplspug said:
    My favorite sushi is mackerel, but **** it has to be fresh.  

Yeah I know all sushi has to be fresh, but there are places that aren't quite as fresh as others.
    I agree with the Mackerel. But it is aged, fresh sushi is not as good as slightly aged.
    Our Tuna that we intend to eat raw is kept cold at least 24-36 hours, it becomes more buttery 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,549 AG
    tankard said:
    I eat Spanish raw all the time.
    I haven’t tried that? Do you season it with anything while it ages, or filet it, skin it and go to town?

Hell I'll eat it as I clean it, but yeah back in the kitchen I skin it, mostly use the shoulder part, slice it across the grain thinly, you may or may not want to remove the bloodline, I don't if it's fresh and bright red. Or if I do remove it I'll eat it by itself lol.

Put in a bowl with sesame oil, soy, wasabi, I like sriracha and green onion too, mix it up and let it sit in the fridge, doesn't have to be long.

Now you have what I call Mackerel Candy and everyone I know that's tried it loves it. Melts in your mouth.

Or course it's great just by itself on some rice too, but I don't usually bother with that.

tankard said:

Hell I'll eat it as I clean it, but yeah back in the kitchen I skin it, mostly use the shoulder part, slice it across the grain thinly, you may or may not want to remove the bloodline, I don't if it's fresh and bright red. Or if I do remove it I'll eat it by itself lol.

Put in a bowl with sesame oil, soy, wasabi, I like sriracha and green onion too, mix it up and let it sit in the fridge, doesn't have to be long.

Now you have what I call Mackerel Candy and everyone I know that's tried it loves it. Melts in your mouth.

Or course it's great just by itself on some rice too, but I don't usually bother with that.

That is good, eat it that way as well.

This is mostly how they do it for sushi. It's pretty good, but if you don't watch out it can get mushy.

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,697 AG
    tankard said:

That sounds good, will have to try it.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

Meh. I could do without the acid of the vinegar, isn't that pretty much cooking the fish? For the record I'm not big on ceviche either. I'll eat it but it's not my preferred method of preparation.

I like the way I do mackerel just fine, but it will get a bit mushy too if it sits too long. It's kinda like guacamole, just make what you plan on being consumed in one sitting. If you run out, it's real fast and easy to make more.

All the mackerel you get in sushi places is marinated in the rice vinegar. Unless you get it special.

Which is why I don't get mackerel in sushi places.

Never understood why other oily fish can be served as is but the mackerel must be marinated in vinegar

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I thought we were talking about goat?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers

Are you new to the forum?

Welcome aboard.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,078 Admiral

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,129 Admiral
    I will be taking one to the processors Monday, should yield about 50-60 lbs