Home Boating

Trolling motor on 22’-23’center console

SC53SC53 Posts: 675 Officer
edited August 2019 in Boating #1
Buddy looking for some real world experience with one of the GPS spot-lock style trolling motors on a 22’ plus center console to anchor on spots while bottom fishing. Looking at a Rhodan or Minn Kota. Would like to get away with 24v if possible but would go 36v if have to.

Replies

  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    I've got a Rhodan on a 23 Contender Open. It's got 80# of thrust with a 72 in shaft and works pretty good. I've used it on about 10 trips and only once would it not hold and that was on a rough day with a moon tide. We also had the boat loaded  pretty heavy that day, like probably 7000#s. It is definitely a game changer for bottom fishing.
  • cortrcortr Posts: 456 Deckhand
    You definitely need 36 volt with that much weight 
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 877 Officer
    cortr said:
    You definitely need 36 volt with that much weight 
    Yep you might "get by" with a 24 v but for that size rig a 36 v will work out better. None better built for SW than Rhodan IMO.
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    The main reason I went with the 24 over the 36 volt was for not having room for the extra battery.  The 24 will work for me 99% of the time, the other 1%, I probably could have picked a better day. If the 24 doesn't hold you can always put the boat in gear and help the trolling motor out.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,700 Captain
    I would call Tony at Boattronics. They are installing these on boats daily. He posted something about why choosing 1 over the other on particular sizes boats. His info is in this thread. https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/271133/31-contender-dream-overhaul-begins#latest

    Jason :USA
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,852 Moderator
    I have a 24 volt Rhodan on my boat a cc Throphy   20 ft offshore boat older with one high sides and heavy for its size. I is really great for staying on a ledge  or wreck. AS with anything there is a learning curve. 3 t0 4 ft.  swells it can be fine ,wind driven with white caps and short period between waves it tends to brake free then tries to get  back. I would buy it again.  longer  7 ft. shaft or longer  might  have been better.
    larrywitt
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement

Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now