Home Sportsman's Kitchen

How the heck do you cook pompano?

sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 158 Deckhand
Caught some pompano this weekend, along with some croakers and whiting. Croakers and whiting were great sauted, the pompano was horrible. Do you need to bleed them right after you catch them? even after cutting away the blood line potion of the fillet they just don't seem to taste good. Any suggestions for handling and cooking pompano would be greatly appreciated. 

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    I clean and skin. Get all the blood and guts off and then either broil, pan fry, or deep fry. It's one of my favorite fish to eat. Now some pompano have more fat than others and it appears more white. These ones taste sweeter and better imo. The leaner ones are still good though. 
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Sounds to me like you misidentified jack crevalle for pompano. The bloodline you spoke of says jack crevalle to me.
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,032 Captain

Agreed, bet you had a Jack and not a Pompano. Pompano are very good to eat.

If they have at least one black spot close to the pectoral fins it's a Jack.

• sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 158 Deckhand
    In all honesty I wondered whether we have caught jacks and not pompano... My take away is pompano do not have a blood line the way jacks do... thanks guys
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,030 Admiral
  • dnelsondnelson Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Just had pompano for the first time last month, and I wasn’t impressed. Not sure what the hype is and the cost. There are much better fish in the sea.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,388 AG
    Less is more with pomps. Butter and a little lemon. That's it. Now if it was a jack, best smoke it and only if it is on the small side

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 295 Deckhand
    Now a small jack seasoned and deep fry in butter are good. But yes get the blood out brine the fish and remove the blood line. cant say you need to bleed pomp. 
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    I agree pompano definitely have a certain "taste" compared to true "white meat" fish like whiting or flounder that are pretty neutral, and to some people borderline "bland".

some of my family hate pomps, because they want fish that tastes like chicken lol

I cook whole, cut and rinse out the guts- wash real good and rub with corse salt to get slime off, cut some slits to the bone and cover with olive oil salt pepper and lemon and cook in oven until flakes with a fork.
    we need more internet money
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 342 Deckhand
    I'll come over and take all the pompano you don't want!

I agree, less is more.

Hot, hot grill, coat in olive oil, garlic powder and pepper.

Good fish needs very little.