Home General Fishing

Live Finger Mullet Caught Me a DOORMAT

Replies

• CatalystCatalyst Posts: 202 Deckhand
    I know the instinct is to run-off the social media fishing report folks. (Youtube, facebook, instagram...) but I think there are quite a few very good contributors that have been run-off unnecessarily. 
    I would prefer that they put out a detailed report and maybe a photo or 2 of their "massive" catch and if I want I may click on their youtube video.
    If you don't like the content then you can decide to not click in the future. 
    This forum used to be a central place to find a variety of reports and info but many of the best contributors have been run-off or moved to different platforms. 
    I have learn to find good content on the other platforms but I did prefer when it was all in one place and timely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,423 Admiral
    edited August 2019 #33
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,156 AG
    When it's listed as MASSIVE and is nothing but an underwhelming, very average flounder, they deserve to get RUNNOFT.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,394 Captain
    edited August 2019 #35
    Catalyst said:
    I know the instinct is to run-off the social media fishing report folks. (Youtube, facebook, instagram...) but I think there are quite a few very good contributors that have been run-off unnecessarily. 
    I would prefer that they put out a detailed report and maybe a photo or 2 of their "massive" catch and if I want I may click on their youtube video.
    If you don't like the content then you can decide to not click in the future. 
    This forum used to be a central place to find a variety of reports and info but many of the best contributors have been run-off or moved to different platforms. 
    I have learn to find good content on the other platforms but I did prefer when it was all in one place and timely.
    Agree in principle, but OP here is not really caring to give a report, his intention is not to add value by adding a report...he could have done that in the appropriate regional forum, he's looking for people to watch his video and this is one of his external distribution methods. That's my observation/opinion. 

Edit: A review of his post history shows 33 thread starts, seems all vids, and 3 replies (no replies this year, and none in this thread).  My suspicion seems confirmed and worse, he is simply "spamming" the site with videos and not engaging with forum members. IDK about you folks, but my replies FAR exceed my thread starts. Of course this forum also has crappy moderators that will do little to nothing. 
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    why do some guys crush their fish..don't they know how to clean them ??? 
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,867 Moderator
    edited August 2019 #37
    brianb said:
     Of course this forum also has crappy moderators that will do little to nothing. 
    OKAY I'm getting tired of being accused of the lack of moderation around here. It's happened more than once.  I'm a moderator on this forum, specifically General Fishing, which is where this thread appears.  Can you tell me exactly what forum rule the OP has violated for me to act on.  Has he attacked anyone, used foul or inappropriate language, spammed a product, directed a member to another forum (You Tube is allowed).  If I ban the OP for spamming, which seems to be the apparent feeling regarding this thread, I get accused of over moderation, If I just let it be, it slides off the page and goes away, but other members keep posting on a thread and it bounces back to the top. Tell me exactly what action I should take and how I can justify it
    edited August 2019 #39
    This is NOT spam.  It is a fishing report in video format.  It's not a good video, but then since the advent of GoPro, everyone with one thinks he is Cecil B DeMille.  I get tired of them too.  Just because the OP is not a skilled angler, he caught HIS Personal Best flounder and HE considered it large.  Sure, he could have posted a picture as opposed to a video and titled the thread, "My PB Flounder" and no one would be complaining that it's spam.  But let the new Cecil B DeMille alone and don't click on his videos anymore and he will either get the hint or sink into the past
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,932 Captain
    brianb said:
    OKAY I'm getting tired of being accused of the lack of moderation around here. It's happened more than once.  I'm a moderator on this forum, specifically General Fishing, which is where this thread appears.  Can you tell me exactly what forum rule the OP has violated for me to act on.  Has he attacked anyone, used foul or inappropriate language, spammed a product, directed a member to another forum (You Tube is allowed).  If I ban the OP for spamming, which seems to be the apparent feeling regarding this thread, I get accused of over moderation, If I just let it be, it slides off the page and goes away, but other members keep posting on a thread and it bounces back to the top. Tell me exactly what action I should take and how I can justify it
    In this situation, the OP isn't the problem, its the hecklers in the crowd that are the problem. If you want participation on this board, you need to get rid of the negativity. So what, the guys Flounder isn't giant. To him its a good fish. You have your dead tree covered in vultures over here acting a fool, potentially discouraging him from posting again in the future. Who wants to deal with that crap? Nobody gets paid to share on here, whats the motivation to put in time writing up anything on this site when you have to worry about getting attacked every time you post something up? It's common sense.

There is no arguing that participation on here has declined in a big way over the years. Everyone knows, its not a secret. I have dozens of friends that I made from this forum that I still fish with today. They ALL were run off by the attitudes on here and the lack of moderation. I even have some nut case using his signature to bad mouth me. I reported it months ago but you guys do nothing. I would be embarrassed to have sponsors come on here seeing the state of this forum. Its really a shame because it could be a great platform.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,880 Captain
    brianb said:
    In this situation, the OP isn't the problem, its the hecklers in the crowd that are the problem. If you want participation on this board, you need to get rid of the negativity. So what, the guys Flounder isn't giant. To him its a good fish. You have your dead tree covered in vultures over here acting a fool, potentially discouraging him from posting again in the future. Who wants to deal with that crap? Nobody gets paid to share on here, whats the motivation to put in time writing up anything on this site when you have to worry about getting attacked every time you post something up? It's common sense.

There is no arguing that participation on here has declined in a big way over the years. Everyone knows, its not a secret. I have dozens of friends that I made from this forum that I still fish with today. They ALL were run off by the attitudes on here and the lack of moderation. I even have some nut case using his signature to bad mouth me. I reported it months ago but you guys do nothing. I would be embarrassed to have sponsors come on here seeing the state of this forum. Its really a shame because it could be a great platform.
    YOU complaining about a lack of moderation??
    REALLY??? Bless your heart 
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • JWTJWT Posts: 716 Officer
    i watched to see what it was about. not exactly what i would call a fishing report. just a "me tuber" trying to score clicks & has to hype up some small snapper to do it. the whole thing was hard to watch...............literally dude!!
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 174 Deckhand
    Just going to sit back and watch this one grow for while....time to get some 🍿 
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,932 Captain
    This is NOT spam.  It is a fishing report in video format.  It's not a good video, but then since the advent of GoPro, everyone with one thinks he is Cecil B DeMille.  I get tired of them too.  Just because the OP is not a skilled angler, he caught HIS Personal Best flounder and HE considered it large.  Sure, he could have posted a picture as opposed to a video and titled the thread, "My PB Flounder" and no one would be complaining that it's spam.  But let the new Cecil B DeMille alone and don't click on his videos anymore and he will either get the hint or sink into the past

Wow, you passive aggressively(sort of) belittle the guys video, and you're supposed to be a moderator? No wonder this forums gone to the trash. FS needs better volunteers. if you don't want to do the job, quit dude. Passing a screen shot of your behavior over to FS. You sir are whats wrong with this community.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,067 Officer
    this is the the way the younger generation does things. even if not for $ its there just to show off. Too bad these kids don't know how to really catch the big ones! maybe by the time they do they will be more humble.

23" flattie. maybe a serving plate. It was an excellent dinner fish. It was caught in 20 ft on the same bucktail as this was, just a few minutes before -
    the flounder was bycatch, as they mostly are for me.

• finbullyfinbully Posts: 726 Officer
    brianb said:
    Tell me exactly what action I should take and how I can justify it
    Any moderator could improve this forum by banning crap like this:
    https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/271179/buy-original-ielts-certificate-without-exams-whatsapp-1585496-4423

I’ve reported this sort of spam advertising illegal offers numerous times and response is slow if at all. I realize you are volunteering your time but if the FS community wants a quality site moderators need to be timely, consistent and diligent in their volunteer duties.

• cortrcortr Posts: 242 Deckhand
    Agree with permit_me. Young people these days think they know everything. Rather than trying to show off, how about respecting the knowledge and experience of older folks who know that you are just looking for attention.  SPAM! Let's move on to something positive.  Everybody is just throwing fuel on fire
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,095 Admiral
    Kyle simply needs to engage folks instead of dropping links in hopes we make his YouTube star dreams come true.  Having said all that:

1) the flounder was solid/good size

2) ignoring him is easy, the forum has a built in function

3) I don't have a problem with the moderation 

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    finbully said:
    brianb said:
    https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/271179/buy-original-ielts-certificate-without-exams-whatsapp-1585496-4423

I’ve reported this sort of spam advertising illegal offers numerous times and response is slow if at all. I realize you are volunteering your time but if the FS community wants a quality site moderators need to be timely, consistent and diligent in their volunteer duties. 

The post you quoted was moved to the Dumpster as soon as I saw it, the same day it was posted, and the OP was banned.  I don't spend my time on the computer 24 hours a day and as soon as something like that is spotted, whether reported or not, it is moved and the OP banned.  I don't know of a filter that could keep stuff like that from even appearing - if you are aware of one, let me or Griz know.  As you acknowledge, we are volunteers and do the best we can within the parameters set by FS.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 726 Officer
    finbully said:
    brianb said:

The post you quoted was moved to the Dumpster as soon as I saw it, the same day it was posted, and the OP was banned.  I don't spend my time on the computer 24 hours a day and as soon as something like that is spotted, whether reported or not, it is moved and the OP banned.  I don't know of a filter that could keep stuff like that from even appearing - if you are aware of one, let me or Griz know.  As you acknowledge, we are volunteers and do the best we can within the parameters set by FS.
    The post is in the”Boating” section as I type this and I reported it on July 26.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,880 Captain
    Pimpin ain’t easy 
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Not a big fish.  Another BS click wanter.

Catch a big fish and folks will click.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Jebuz.... The general forums pretty rough.
    We get all kinds of crap and little fish from these "experts".

Show a real expert and a real fish and we'll appreciate the yahoo click fest.  Folks try to exaggerate stuff to get attention.  Should get slapped around.

If that fish impresses, you should learn how to fish.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,142 AG
    Jack you and the other moderators are doing just fine.  People will whine no matter what you do.  I've been on over moderated forums before and left.  They'd put you in a time out of your post had a sniff of promotion or were critical of a sponsors product.  

People who own forums are free to moderate as they see fit and members free to to come and go as they see fit.

I wouldn't remove a post like this.  Heck it's very popular.

Captain Todd Approves

• brianbbrianb Posts: 2,394 Captain
    Absolutely MPLS forum owners are free to moderate how they see fit and members will come and go as they see fit...in this instance members are going, going, GONE. 

This post is popular because it's a negative crap show, like all popular posts on this forum. 

As solutions, whatever THT is doing is working, and sites like Reddit, one of the most popular sites in the world, has a requirement that you have to post/reply like 10x before you can post one self-serving post like the one here IMO is. Here is a quote: "a general rule of thumb is that 10% or less of your posting and conversation should link to your own content --Reddit guidelines." How come no rules like this here? I submit it's bc the big business that owns this site only cares about your clicks and their ads, not about YOU, or fishing, or anything else. Zero else. 
    There is another Florida fishing forum popular for the east coast that I gave up on.  You had to have 5 replies a month to access "restricted" sections.  I got tired of replying  basic  "nice fish's, "good report", etc 5  times to  access the rest of the site.

Captain Todd Approves

• tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Some of you are overthinking this.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,156 AG
    brianb said:

You're way off base. 
    You need to get up to speed on what a Youtuber is, and how they generate clicks.  
    Posting crap with misleading headlines to gain clicks is spam.
    Sure you can argue otherwise, but why?  
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,423 Admiral
    Monster Flounder caught on trolled bait

https://tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
    edited August 2019 #60
    tankard said:
    Some of you are overthinking this.
    Better to overthink than to never have a thought. :wink:

Captain Todd Approves

• NopratKoonsNopratKoons East CentralPosts: 40 Greenhorn
    Just wanted to make sure an actual FL doormat makes it in the thread.