Home General Paddle Craft

Vibe “hero” seat?

hellsgatehellsgate NaplesPosts: 49 Greenhorn
Anybody have one?  Most comfortable chair on the planet?   Thinking about trying to make one fit on my hobie. 

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,982 Captain
    For what it costs, looks like a great seat !  It it fits, it would be a good replacement to an older model Hobie that does not have a vantage seat.  If it does not fit a hobie, I would look into one of the stadium seats sold at Costco as a possible substitute.  The 2014 and older Hobie Pro Angler Vantage seat is stupid expensive, but has lumbar adjustment along with side rails and a multitude of other adjustments that blow any other kayak seat out of the water for comfort.  
  • krashkrash Posts: 686 Officer
    Anyone with this seat... is that metal frame aluminum ?

Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,982 Captain
    Sure looks like Aluminum tubes with plastic ends.  On the Amazon website, one can ask questions about the seat, several have asked if it will fit specific kayaks.  One could probably get any question regarding the seat answered there.
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 257 Deckhand
    edited January 2019 #5
    I have a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 with the Hero seat. It is very comfortable and durable. The frame is thick aluminum. I believe they copied the seat from the Native Slayer, but it is way more affordable.
    My YouTube channel: JakeW KayakFishing
    I sent a question to the contact on the Vibe web site and they infact verified, or said, the frame is Aluminum.
    Funny thing, asked the same question on the Amazon site... and they answered 'Steel"
  • hellsgatehellsgate NaplesPosts: 49 Greenhorn
    I have a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 with the Hero seat. It is very comfortable and durable. The frame is thick aluminum. I believe they copied the seat from the Native Slayer, but it is way more affordable.
    Jw.  When you get a chance can give measurements concerning the frame? 
    Seeing discrepancies on some websites. Thanx

Back bar is same as front. If you cut the ends off it would bring width down to 19.75.
  • hellsgatehellsgate NaplesPosts: 49 Greenhorn
    Awesome. Thanks
    Back bar is same as front. If you cut the ends off it would bring width down to 19.75.
    Thx. JW... if you dont mind what is the length of the bar as is, before cutting ?
    And while you are at it could you get a from to back outside measurement of the base bars ?
    krash said:
    Thx. JW... if you dont mind what is the length of the bar as is, before cutting ?
    And while you are at it could you get a from to back outside measurement of the base bars ?

See the pic above. Those are unaltered dimensions.
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 312 Deckhand
    krash said:
    Funny thing, asked the same question on the Amazon site... and they answered 'Steel"
    Imagine that!😂
    krash said:

See the pic above. Those are unaltered dimensions.
    Funny, sorry my bad.. I'm kind of color bling and the measurements color blends into that counter top so I did not see them... had to get the better half to look at it and read them for me.
    Thx., thats just what I was interested in.
  • carvedtonescarvedtones ncPosts: 34 Deckhand
    There is a Driftsun seat that looks extremely similar, but down in the Q&A the dimensions are listed and are a little different. It's $20 cheaper (comparing the two on Amazon). It's in my Shopping list; thinking about it for my SUP.
    edited July 2019 #17
    Do you have a link to that chair... 
    I searched and found one that is listed as a stadium seat, but does not appear to have a metal, preferably aluminium, lifted off the floor frame... looks like its simply a padded seat meant to strap on a metal/wood bench at a stadium, but could also be used sitting on the ground as a beach seat.
    krash said:
    Do you have a link to that chair... 
    I searched and found one that is listed as a stadium seat, but does not appear to have a metal, preferably aluminium, lifted off the floor frame... looks like its simply a padded seat meant to strap on a metal/wood bench at a stadium, but could also be used sitting on the ground as a beach seat.
    Are you talking about the Driftsun I mentioned?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RTHJPVS

I am also looking at stout low slung camp chairs like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Costway-Outdoor-High-Back-Folding-Beach-Chair-Camping-Furniture-Portable-Mesh-Seat-Black/679747840

since I am on a SUP and I want the seat tucked away during launching and landing. I have a big touring board with a recessed deck, which means it's only kind of flat but nor completely. 

Anyway, since I mostly want a chair for sitting while drifting/jigging and maybe light paddling, I have even considered going ultra cheap but I worry about the comfort and durability:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Low-Profile-Event-Chair/653137734
    edited July 2019 #19
    No I did a simple search and came up with another Driftsun,,, that's where links to product come in handy in post. The one you link looks very similar to the ones previously referred to in this post.

Since you are on an SUP.. I'd recommend going a different direction, as well as look up "Larry Chairs"... but unless you have an SUP built like a boat, (DragonFly, Live), fiberglass/gelcoat with internal structure most other SUPs are just to delicate for all your weight to be in small points, is a chair wth 4 legs, and even the kayak seats with basically 2 pipes that sit fit across side to side. If you do go this way I'd put a flat surface like marine plywood water-proofed or star board as a base.

An alternat solution, which I use, is a small 30qt cooler with a cushion.. you could also fit a padded back stadium or canoe seat if you need a back rest. 

I have an SUP and set up a 30qt cooler, added 2 rod holders to the side.. works perfectly as a seat, and also holds everything I need for a day of fishing. I also use an adjustable paddle so when I sit I can easily adjust the length for more comfortable paddling.

Since that photo was taken I removed the rod holders fomr te sides of teh cooler and put 2 scotty rod holders on the rear side of the cooler.. on the sides I hit the sowed rod when sitting and paddling or standing and poling.. 

I added 2 'Ez-Plugs" one on each side of the cooler, glued them on with G-Flex, 3 years ago and still holding, so I could bungie the cooler inplace.

krash,

My touring SUP is not very delicate and has a very large deck pad. The SUP is 14x30. A cooler is dicey if the surf is 2' or more. I usually take at least one over the bow on the way out. I have used a small cooler sometimes though. In the picture below I am using a yak paddles to stay straight going out; the breakers are a little bigger than they look and slapped the cooler pretty hard going out. Look to the right of the upper end of the paddle at the one that's rolling in. I could have time this a little better.

Other days it hardly seems like ocean and it's fine.

That's about a mile and a half off the beach at Oak Island NC.

I will be down around Vero Beach this winter.

edited July 2019 #21
    What model SUP is that an inflatable ?
    Mine is a bit smaller, 12'6"x 32"x5.25".

I only fish inshore on the SUP so I can't help with surf launches... 

The seat you identified is very similar to the others.. so you have a few options, but it will also get slapped around by waves over the bow. there is another one someone else mentioned...  If you get that one can you please measure the actual bas measurements and post them here ?
    Pelican Ergocast 
    edited July 2019 #22
    That is not an inflatable; I am very reluctant to take an iSUP offshore. This a 14x30 Naish Glide, GTW construction which is lighter and stronger than the GS. A big part of my decision is in the product description - "outstanding open ocean performance" and "stability and early planing in the open ocean in any condition". I don't plan to be "in the open ocean in any condition" but it's nice to know that it is designed for it. If a squall kicks up and SHTF on the way in, it's nice to know the board should be able to handle it. 

Oh yeah, if you look close at my earlier pictures the deck is slightly dished. The huge tails on this model do look somewhat like an iSUP.  Having paddled it quite a bit, I have mixed feelings about them. They do catch wind but they help a lot with stability. Anyway, the dished deck does transition to a domed fore deck but at the point I would put a seat a straight cross bar would not maintain contact all the way across. I don't see that as a problem.  I would not test this, but it seems so solid that you could bounce around on the deck with a pogo stick. While I doubt it really is, I don't think my weigh on 4 points is going to do any damage.
    Nice.. I like those Naish boards.. mine is very similar in shape, also a touring design... sorry I looked quickly glanced at the photo, but then expanded it to look closer and saw it was a Naish, and did see the sunken deck.

When I say delicate I'm comparing from years of experience with surf boards.. typically board made from eps foam, are covered by a couple layers of fiberglass and epoxy resin... if you jump around on it or just use it hard, especially stand up surfing/paddling,  you get pressure dings in the surface, mine has painted surfcae that scratches very easily.. but more important if you impact a rock or anything hard it easily cracks and/or penetrats the glass... I had a DragonFly that is made more like a boat, 2 part mold, gelcoat, then layers of fiberglass, then they have an inner structure of foam stringers and ribs, the 2 parts are put together like a boat hull... this build type is hard like a boat hull. The DF is solid as a rock.
    IDK how the Naish is constructed but they sure look nice.

I was thinking if you used a chair with only 4 points of contact you would have a problem... I've seen the Larry chairs on SUP, but mostly on roto-molded poly boards.

You might want to think about wrapping the cross-bar with a pool noodle, and get more of a contact point, kind of like having pads on roof racks for transport.

Do you have a way to strap the seat to your board ?

@krash - missed the follow up until just now.

GTW construction:

I have read posts where people claim to have run into wooden garage doors and done no damage. IOW, the garage was open and the forgot the SUP was on top and hit the bottom of the door .

As far as securing a seat, I would lash it down on the way out and just have a line on it so I wouldn't lose it if I set it up and sat a while. It wouldn't go anywhere sitting on the pad with weight on it. 

I only keep stuff up front most of the time. on the way through the surf, I strap rods down to the board. I just take a strap all the way around. The performance impact is insignificant. I do take the strap off past the surf.

I used a sand chair and it was fine but that particular one just wasn't sturdy enough.
    Looks like a nice SUP.. enjoy. And if you get one of the seats, or another brand, please take a few minutes and measure its foot-print up and post a review here... I'm on medical leave form paddling for a while so I won't be replacing my seat any time soon.

krash said:
    Looks like a nice SUP.. enjoy. And if you get one of the seats, or another brand, please take a few minutes and measure its foot-print up and post a review here... I'm on medical leave form paddling for a while so I won't be replacing my seat any time soon.

Thanks. I had 2 "medical leaves" so far this year. I scheduled my shoulder surgery (torn labrum and bone spurs that didn't bother me all that much paddling SUP last year; reaching up was another story) for mid January so that rehab was to the point I could paddle in April. More recently it was a minor internal surgery (if there is such a thing; not life threatening and relatively quick recovery). Hope you mend quickly!
    Thinking through the seat idea a lot further after chatting with a knowledgeable guy who does SUP/surfboard repair. 4 points of contact is a bad idea and a pool noodle support won't help much. The big issue is small corners. There are situations where your weight could get thrown around and you end up putting nearly all your weight on one corner. if you are sitting on a cooler or something similar, your weight will still be on a few square inches at the least. With some seats, you can end up with it on half a square inch or less. Plastic kayaks flex and spread the load. Some glass also flexes quite a bit, but not on boards like mine. Right up to the load it can handle it will be solid as a rock.

He gets some boards in for repair because they are taking on water even though there are no obvious cracks and he finds them under the deck pad. Not necessarily from seats; he said stacking/packing is probably the biggest culprit. The pad will protect the board from scratches, keep you from slipping and is more comfortable under your feet than smooth fiberglass. It cushions shock but doesn't really spread load much at all.