Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tips for catching bait out of Sebastian

Hello, I am new to offshore fishing Sebastian.  I was wondering if anyone would be willing to provide some insight on when, where, how to get some bait for offshore kings or bottom fish?

Replies

• bluewater_feverbluewater_fever Posts: 195 Deckhand
    Try the spoil islands. Some islands are better than others. You just have to put in the time to find which one has the bait you like. Usually you can find mullet, pins, mojarras, thread-fin, and other stuff. If I'm in my center console, I usually get out of the boat to throw the net. If your not familiar with the area, use Google Earth to find the best way to approach the islands. Some are quite shallow on the east side.

Bethel Shoal, aka "the buoy", often holds a lot of spanish sardines and other baits which are ideal for kings and bottom dropping. You'll need a Sabiki to catch them. However, this year the bait has not been plentiful at the buoy. Don't expect to go there every time and load up on bait.

Hope this helps.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,265 AG
    That is a big question... and is different depending on the time of year.

Mullet are in the river all year in varying amounts... by September/October if you fall out of your boat...when you climb back in you will have mullet in your pants pockets.  Other times of the year you need to search them out. They are herbivores and are following their food. One day one area is alive with them...the next it is empty. 
    Menhaden ( pogys) are in the river.... but unless you have the right cast net...you won't get them.  

Right now...there is a bunch of bait in 50 ft about 5 miles off the inlet...You ride and look for the dimpling water then sabiki them up.

I would not go out the inlet without something as the back up to not getting on bait...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • NDTransplantNDTransplant Posts: 169 Deckhand
    edited July 2019 #4
    Ok cool!  Thanks for the input!

I have a ten foot bets cast net with the maximum amount of lead they put on them.  It seems to sink good.  How deep are they running in the river?
    A 10 foot fast sink would be marginal....but if you are up to do a lot of throws.... You need to be out at grey light and look for them dimpling... If you look you will sometimes see a few commercial guys throwing ( they get a dollar each) ....south down toward wabasso has had them the most consistently this season. usually down by Pauls and points south.  
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Oh....and Kings are not that particular...a Sea witch (duster) with a strip bait...a small ballyhoo or a squid will all work as well as plugs and spoons.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • FishingFilosophyFishingFilosophy Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I know I’m a little late but I haven’t been to Sebastian in a while, but just went yesterday. I went just south of the inlet and parked off the roadway on the river side. I used one of the small paths to the river and cast netted a bunch of nice size finger mullet. 

On on the beach, sardines (someone may have a more technical name) were running rampant. Caught hundreds 2-3 inches long, Jacks and Mackerel were crushing them. Only found 3-4 croakers which got pulled from the hook immediately.