Home General Hunting

J. W. Corbett WMA

red owlred owl Posts: 671 Officer
I've never hunted it.  How wet/dry is it? All underwater? some dry areas?

Replies

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,498 Officer
    Wet and full of panthers.... see cat chasing deer post.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 517 Officer
    only dry areas will be the other hunters your gonna be stepping on if you don,t scout the area first ,  should be really wet come opening day       perfect for the cypress head i hunt in.
  • wilburzwilburz Posts: 1,000 Officer
    bring a 2wd honda ridgeline, you will be fine.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon!

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,668 AG
    Wet and full of panthers.... see cat chasing deer post.
    That's not a panther.   It's an optical illusion.   
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 477 Deckhand
    The place depends on the weather. Some seasons it’s bone dry.  Others waist high. Ha e to take a look a week before to check the conditions. 
    Start scouting. Have to know multiple spots. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,383 Captain
    It's already under water and full of people.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    There are no deer in there anymore. Move along, nothing to see here.
    edited August 2019 #9
    Which one of you googans is this? I heard you spent the night out there in this condition? I just got the photo from a Indian outlaw that I know. He told me he left you there when you told him Corbett was for mudding, not hunting.
    So sad. See stuff like this all the time.
    edited August 2019 #12
    Joe will disagree but, that kind of attitude and action from the punks who sunk their truck are among some the biggest reasons we are all losing places to hunt and recreate in. 
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Big Mak said:
    That kind of attitude and action from the punks who sunk their truck are among the biggest reasons we are all losing places to hunt and recreate in. 
    No doubt. Not just Corbett either. I've left piles of folks stuck in Richloam like that or way worse. They come to OUR woods to tear up crap, then expect you to trash your truck trying to get them out.
    edited August 2019 #14
    Was driving  down the main grade at Corbett a couple years ago for a turkey hunt (at o’dark thirty) , all of a sudden a flat brimmer  is standing in the road waving me over. Said he was stuck and asked me to try and pull him out. I drove off the main grade about 100 yards on a buggy trail and they had a brand new ford raptor buried to the floor boards in a hole. He then told me it was his first time in Corbett and asked me where the turkeys were? I laughed and said that’s the least of your problems now! I let him attach his rope to a front hook on my truck just so I said I tried to pull him out (truck wouldn’t budge an inch).and I got the heck out of there! Daddy wasn’t going to be happy!
    For those of you who don't know what a flat brimmer is.. .

This is a public service announcement: if you're wearing your cap like this, stop it! If you have a kid who wears his cap like this, smack him across the back of his noggin and make him stop; at the very least, in your presence...  This has been a public service announcement.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Had to pull one out of Richloam recently. Had a new Chevy Colorado he and GF had burried. She had actually walked out to a main grade and flagged me down. They were just mudding is what they said. Ruining roads one trip at a time...
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,651 Captain
    There's just no place to do that kind of thing anymore unless you want to go to a Mudfest.  High school days, not far from Corbett we had plenty of places to run mud and even climb sand dunes next to the beach. Not anymore....   If you have a Horse though there are a lot of places to ride.
    Noobs..... why just why. And we are the ones that have to fix their causing damage. If they helped preserve it I wouldnt have any problems. 
    I remember either last year or year before, some kids shooting off  of the main grade in the back of Corbett. Sounded like ww3. My hunting buddy said it had have been 1000 rnds. On our way out there was a tow truck loading up a truck on a flatbed and fwc had two kids and two girls off to the side. One of the kids was crying his eyes out. We were amazed fwc actually was doing something. Seems like you don’t see too much of them out there after archery or opening weekend for that matter. 
    During archery? 
  • wilburzwilburz Posts: 1,000 Officer
    saturday nights are always busy out there! I like to hunt on Sunday and always run into some squids drunk off there arses at 4 am on the main grade either pulling their trucks out of the ditch or just having a powwow.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon!

During archery? 
    Yes. That's prolly why they were getting towed. That place is ate up with people who don't hunt during hunting season. Just kids tryin to mud and get their trucks stuck. there isn't anywhere for them to go anymore so they all go to Corbett.
    Things have changed alot out there. I still think i was born 100 years too late!
    We used to just mud on the flat across from what is now the PGA National entrance on Northlake.  Was middle of nowhere then and I lived even west of that. Or we'd run the dunes where The Bluffs are in Juno Beach. Occasionally Id take my Ramcharger with straight pipes for a jaunt on Singer Island Beach at night. Condo dwellers didn't like it too much, don't know why. Different world - fun times.  I can relate to the kids.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 517 Officer
    Pinman said:
    We used to just mud on the flat across from what is now the PGA National entrance on Northlake.  Was middle of nowhere then and I lived even west of that. Or we'd run the dunes where The Bluffs are in Juno Beach. Occasionally Id take my Ramcharger with straight pipes for a jaunt on Singer Island Beach at night. Condo dwellers didn't like it too much, don't know why. Different world - fun times.  I can relate to the kids.
    lone wolf mcquaid had a ramcharger      did you have the super charger and blower.
    meateater said:
    Pinman said:
    lone wolf mcquaid had a ramcharger      did you have the super charger and blower.

No, but those straight pipes sure sounded sweet bouncing off the Tiara....
  • Ramblinman89Ramblinman89 Palm Beach countyPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    red owl said:
    I've never hunted it.  How wet/dry is it? All underwater? some dry areas?
    It’s pretty wet right now.. one of the toughest WMA in the state to hunt in my opinion for a bunch of reasons. Good luck see you August 29 lol
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Had to pull one out of Richloam recently. Had a new Chevy Colorado he and GF had burried. She had actually walked out to a main grade and flagged me down. They were just mudding is what they said. Ruining roads one trip at a time...
    A good walk will keep them from doing it again.

I drove up on a fella one time that tried to drive down the ditch in a 90s ford f150. Just so happened that the Forestry had cleaned out the culverts a week or two before. He was standing on the hump looking down at his truck with water well over the seats, truck parallel to the road. He looked relieved to see me come around the corner. I slow rolled by him and said "boy, somebody messed up". The look on his face was different in my rear view as I drove on off. He never said a word.
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 157 Deckhand
    Wet, you got to scout and Google earth when you're bored then scout again. Try and get there during the week. It's gets scary weekends. I swear one night there was either a klan meeting or some fraternity hazing event out in the woods from my camp. Then 430 am sharp the buggies start up, the Bush lightes crack, the yeet