Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Nassau Sound (George Crady Bridge) 07-21-2019 report and Snake Island (Little Talbot)

79507950 Posts: 292 Deckhand
edited July 2019 in Northeast Fishing Reports #1
It getting to that time where you have to make decision to either fish the surf or the bridge.  I got to admit every since I been fishing at Snake Island last year, my addiction to that place is special. Been fishing there since Early March to now. I do admit fishing there is a challenge and fun at the same time.  I check the wind and weather and tide for this weekend. I'm showing a low tide for 530am and 1122am for the surf and 622am and 1140am for the bridge.  Next was the wind. I do remember Sea Snake telling me he was catching King on the SW wind and said the water was clear at the beach few weeks ago. That was the prediction for Saturday wind so I decided to fish the surf.  I got myself fresh shrimp and live one too.  I started fishing around 9 something and got plenty of action with the lady fish. I remember an old salt who told me when there lady-fish are around there tend to be pompano around too. The water was very clean and greenish. I check the time and see there was few hours left before max high and pull out a fresh live shrimp and cast it out on a dropper rigs. The live shrimp was peel and split in half. Walk to get some water from my cooler and next thing the rod bend over. I figured it was just another lady fish but the speed on this fish was going to the right very fast. I knew it has to be a pompano. After landing a keeper I got more of my rods hook with fresh live shrimp. Throw it to the same spot and to my surprised land another keeper.  Than the whitings decided to join the fun along with the jacks. The whitings was very nice size.  At max tide the bite shut off so I took a break to and ate my lunch and waited for the outgoing tide.  The lady fish started to bite again along with some nice black drums. I fish all the way too low tide and start to catch catfish. Yup that was the signal to go home.  On the way home I was thinking let go back to the surf again since tomorrow wind will be the same as today and I might get some more pompano, but all that running in the surf from rod to rod gave me a body ache so I figured it time to go back to the bridge and see what is going on. Yes I do admit I been neglecting the bridge. Set the alarm for 530am and end up getting there at almost 9am.  Lucky I was able to cast few dozen of nice perfect finger mullets. My goal was to see if the white albino flounder was biting.  The water clarity was a little better compared to last week when I was at the bridge.  Now for people who like to catch spot this bad clarity water is the go to water to catch them.  It easy to catch plenty for dinner. The spade fish are also getting bigger and they give plenty of action and do taste good.  If you want some whitings they are best to target at the 3rd hours of the outgoing tide.  Instead of waiting for the ideal water condition I decided to cast out a finger mullet into the stain water and see if I get lucky.  You know I always like to fish around bridge piling for flounder and like to moved from piling to piling to see where they are feeding.  Half hour later still no bite, so I decide to try something different. I decided to jig and let my weight hit the bottom. Next thing I felt was a thump and than the count down begin.  First fish was good one judging by the weight of my rod action.  The crazy part was the drop net decide to rip in the center when the fish was scoop. So I have to run the rod pass through the net and make a quick tie to the drop net and was lucky the fish didn't came off when he was half way up the bridge when that net incident happen.  Lucky a kind fisherman allow me to used his drop net throughout the day.  The water clarity got better and it was game on. The flounder bite was very good.  I lost some stud flatty that broke me off at the piling. The bite continue throughout the few hours of the outgoing and than the dirty water came.  I thank the kind fisherman for letting me used his net and award him with the biggest flounder I caught that day.  The crazy thing was I was checking the lunar calendar and it stated Sat and Sun was bad day for fishing. Lucky I take that claim as a guideline and not actual facts.  Now I felt much better now knowing the bridge still love me. ;)

Replies

• optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Posts: 626 Officer
    Very nice fish, and thanks all of the info.
  • artrecord224artrecord224 Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,531 Admiral
    Bridge always loves the Mayor !!

Nice catching......you have now earned the title of surf fishing Jedi .........just sayin'.........

My next quest is to become a flounder catching jedi.......all the ones I catch have a tail with a stinger on it !!
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,875 Admiral
    Just amazing how much attention you pay to what's going on, and then you manage to capitalize on it. Just impressive!!
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,040 Officer
    Awesome report.  Haven't seen one from you in a while. Glad to see one again!
  • HookandStickHookandStick Posts: 210 Deckhand
     Nice save with the torn net. I’m sure I’d manage to loose that fish lol. Thanks for the report. 
  • Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 394 Deckhand
    Nice catch Mayor,   I am pretty sure a few of those flounder were supposed to be mine!!!,  dont catch them all.      I am glad to see that many flounder near the inlet,  i will be looking for a few this weekend.   Thanks for the Report!
  • 79507950 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Very nice fish, and thanks all of the info.
    You're Welcome
    Sea Snake said:
    Bridge always loves the Mayor !!

Nice catching......you have now earned the title of surf fishing Jedi .........just sayin'.........

My next quest is to become a flounder catching jedi.......all the ones I catch have a tail with a stinger on it !!
    Haha, The one with stinger is the cousin of them flounder if you didn't know. It the same way with them two Jacks that cruise at Snake Island. :p
    bswiv said:
    Just amazing how much attention you pay to what's going on, and then you manage to capitalize on it. Just impressive!!
    Thanks, I believe my luck also play an important role too. I need all them luck. :)
    creekgeek said:
    Awesome report.  Haven't seen one from you in a while. Glad to see one again!
    Thanks, blame it on Sea Snake. He told me no bridge fishing for 1 year if I want to fish his famous Snake Island. I'm glad the contract is almost over. :D
    Bigfish5 said:
    Nice catch Mayor,   I am pretty sure a few of those flounder were supposed to be mine!!!,  dont catch them all.      I am glad to see that many flounder near the inlet,  i will be looking for a few this weekend.   Thanks for the Report!
    HAHA, yes the big one that broke me off was your fish indeed.  Looking back at my old post from last year the flounder bite has been around July. It been helpful having it so I can back track and see what I catch that time. I'm glad the report help you in finding your next PB flounder.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,593 Captain
    Very cool and great story!  thanks for sharing!
  • FL FalconerFL Falconer Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Tell me why you keep the lady Fish? Future bait?
  • alibooaliboo Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    love the story, you are the master. if someone was to pay attention there may be a lesson in there somewhere. 

• 904c43904c43 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    7950 said:
    It getting to that time where you have to make decision to either fish the surf or the bridge.  I got to admit every since I been fishing at Snake Island last year, my addiction to that place is special. Been fishing there since Early March to now. I do admit fishing there is a challenge and fun at the same time.  I check the wind and weather and tide for this weekend. I'm showing a low tide for 530am and 1122am for the surf and 622am and 1140am for the bridge.  Next was the wind. I do remember Sea Snake telling me he was catching King on the SW wind and said the water was clear at the beach few weeks ago. That was the prediction for Saturday wind so I decided to fish the surf.  I got myself fresh shrimp and live one too.  I started fishing around 9 something and got plenty of action with the lady fish. I remember an old salt who told me when there lady-fish are around there tend to be pompano around too. The water was very clean and greenish. I check the time and see there was few hours left before max high and pull out a fresh live shrimp and cast it out on a dropper rigs. The live shrimp was peel and split in half. Walk to get some water from my cooler and next thing the rod bend over. I figured it was just another lady fish but the speed on this fish was going to the right very fast. I knew it has to be a pompano. After landing a keeper I got more of my rods hook with fresh live shrimp. Throw it to the same spot and to my surprised land another keeper.  Than the whitings decided to join the fun along with the jacks. The whitings was very nice size.  At max tide the bite shut off so I took a break to and ate my lunch and waited for the outgoing tide.  The lady fish started to bite again along with some nice black drums. I fish all the way too low tide and start to catch catfish. Yup that was the signal to go home.  On the way home I was thinking let go back to the surf again since tomorrow wind will be the same as today and I might get some more pompano, but all that running in the surf from rod to rod gave me a body ache so I figured it time to go back to the bridge and see what is going on. Yes I do admit I been neglecting the bridge. Set the alarm for 530am and end up getting there at almost 9am.  Lucky I was able to cast few dozen of nice perfect finger mullets. My goal was to see if the white albino flounder was biting.  The water clarity was a little better compared to last week when I was at the bridge.  Now for people who like to catch spot this bad clarity water is the go to water to catch them.  It easy to catch plenty for dinner. The spade fish are also getting bigger and they give plenty of action and do taste good.  If you want some whitings they are best to target at the 3rd hours of the outgoing tide.  Instead of waiting for the ideal water condition I decided to cast out a finger mullet into the stain water and see if I get lucky.  You know I always like to fish around bridge piling for flounder and like to moved from piling to piling to see where they are feeding.  Half hour later still no bite, so I decide to try something different. I decided to jig and let my weight hit the bottom. Next thing I felt was a thump and than the count down begin.  First fish was good one judging by the weight of my rod action.  The crazy part was the drop net decide to rip in the center when the fish was scoop. So I have to run the rod pass through the net and make a quick tie to the drop net and was lucky the fish didn't came off when he was half way up the bridge when that net incident happen.  Lucky a kind fisherman allow me to used his drop net throughout the day.  The water clarity got better and it was game on. The flounder bite was very good.  I lost some stud flatty that broke me off at the piling. The bite continue throughout the few hours of the outgoing and than the dirty water came.  I thank the kind fisherman for letting me used his net and award him with the biggest flounder I caught that day.  The crazy thing was I was checking the lunar calendar and it stated Sat and Sun was bad day for fishing. Lucky I take that claim as a guideline and not actual facts.  Now I felt much better now knowing the bridge still love me. ;)
    Thanks for sharing. Question for the expert - how do you fish around the pylons? Do you go to the front side of the incoming water on the bridge and let it drop directly down? Or do you float it down to the other bridge near the pylons? How much weight do you use? Thanks in advance for the help. 
    Tell me why you keep the lady Fish? Future bait?
    I make fish cake with it.
    904c43 said:
    7950 said:
    Thanks for sharing. Question for the expert - how do you fish around the pylons? Do you go to the front side of the incoming water on the bridge and let it drop directly down? Or do you float it down to the other bridge near the pylons? How much weight do you use? Thanks in advance for the help. 

2 ounce weight is the max that I used personally. On the last few hours of the incoming I would cast my bait down and let the current take it up pass the pylon. You can let it float to the other side if you are fishing against the current but there a high chance of getting snag.  If the tide is at slack than I would just walk my bait across pylon to pylon. 
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,198 Officer
    Great report.  You are killing it!
  • gatortroutchampgatortroutchamp Posts: 155 Deckhand
    There is no such thing as a trash fish to this man