Home Off Topic

Wasted time and wasted energy....

13»

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,008 Admiral
    bicyclist said:
    For me it is being stuck in traffic and missing lights because some ding **** is texting. Can't imagine how much gas is wasted because of texters making people sit through more traffic light signals. Actually moving along during a commute works for me, I could take a longer drive as long as I am actually moving. The cycling helps, cause I am almost always moving and timing lights for the green, kinda like a game.

What I really would like, is the choice to sit on a nice bus or train and read the papers and have some coffee without all the hassle.
    You could sell car, get rid of (possible payment), get rid of insurance, get rid of fuel/oil/maintentnace costs, and Uber and do this.  Or if you NEED one for fishing/hunting stuff, just get one that's paid for, insure it based on driving very, very low mileage.
    Could work out the same or better, financially. And you get to read/drink coffee on teh way to/from work.
    Have you priced an Uber. You will not save a dime.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,461 AG
    edited July 2019 #63
    Yes I have.  And compared to my own expenses. 
    It's very close to break even.  Until you factor in out of town trips, hunitng, fishing.

I tried out Ubering for work, when I travel, versus renting a car.  This is in metro areas, of course. It is cheaper to Uber and more convenient in all aspects.  And once you get Platinum status, you get occasional promos that cut the cost as much as 25%.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,692 Captain
    Google maps says my house is 2.3 miles from my office (probably half that as the crow flies) which usually takes me 5-10 minutes to travel depending on traffic and the 3 stop lights. My covered parking spot is about 8 feet from my office door too which is awesome. I used to work on 37th floor and while it too was about 2 miles from home, the time I wasted going up and down the parking garage and elevator was ridiculous. 
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    Google maps says my house is 2.3 miles from my office (probably half that as the crow flies) which usually takes me 5-10 minutes to travel depending on traffic and the 3 stop lights. My covered parking spot is about 8 feet from my office door too which is awesome. I used to work on 37th floor and while it too was about 2 miles from home, the time I wasted going up and down the parking garage and elevator was ridiculous. 
    That would be a nice bike, weather permitting.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Pinellas County Posts: 976 Officer
    edited July 2019 #66
    surfman said:
    bicyclist said:
    For me it is being stuck in traffic and missing lights because some ding **** is texting. Can't imagine how much gas is wasted because of texters making people sit through more traffic light signals. Actually moving along during a commute works for me, I could take a longer drive as long as I am actually moving. The cycling helps, cause I am almost always moving and timing lights for the green, kinda like a game.

What I really would like, is the choice to sit on a nice bus or train and read the papers and have some coffee without all the hassle.
    You could sell car, get rid of (possible payment), get rid of insurance, get rid of fuel/oil/maintentnace costs, and Uber and do this.  Or if you NEED one for fishing/hunting stuff, just get one that's paid for, insure it based on driving very, very low mileage.
    Could work out the same or better, financially. And you get to read/drink coffee on teh way to/from work.
    Have you priced an Uber. You will not save a dime.
    Also loses some of the shine, as he can't have you pay for part of the ride.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,692 Captain
    bicyclist said:
    That would be a nice bike, weather permitting.
    Would be nice, but my particular line of work has me in and out of the office every day and probably spend at least 50% of my time on the road going to see clients and to different projects, so a bike doesn't work for me. If I just went to work and sat in the same building all day I could ride my bike, up until the point where I killed myself out of boredom a couple of months later.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Not a good idea to bike to work around Tampa, too many people not paying attention. Death defying commutes for sure.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • avmechavmech Jupiter, FLPosts: 1,382 Officer
    how many years of my life will I spend taking a dump?
    Try leaving a dump instead..................cleaner hands that way
    Member #10822
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 7,112 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    I don't need to be reminded that I need to look for a job in St Pete or even Sarasota
    That commute is going to be brutal...…
    You should consider a fly-board.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/07/25/french-inventor-tried-cross-english-channel-his-flyboard-he-failed/?utm_term=.49fca82c026b

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.