Advice on new boat

Vinny lVinny l Posts: 323 Deckhand
I’m looking for a 24 foot Bayboat. Through extensive research I’ve narrowed my search down to the following four  mind you I already have a Moccasin210 built by the Egret boat company. The three are Hells bay Estero, Islamorada Morada 24, the Young 24 and, Billfish 24. I’m heading down to Florida from Long Island in a couple of weeks to tour the facilities and hopefully ride in each of the boats.
If any of you have any fishing experience with any of the above I’d really appreciate your sharing.
Thanks
Vinny

Replies

• Mogan MasterMogan Master Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    I have owned a Islamorada and highly recommend it. If you worked with Frank on your Moccasin build and are happy. You will definitely be impressed with your Islamorada experience. The quality, attention to detail, and ride speaks for itself. Get out there and wet test each one. 
    2017 IBW Morada 22 250SHO *August delivery

2013 Maverick 18 HPX 115 ProXS *Sold
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 323 Deckhand
    Thank you for that and I plan to wet test them all.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 664 Officer
    Pathfinder is another to check out. I'm on my second boat from MBG and happy with both. Take a look at the 2500 Hybrid.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,226 AG
    Might not be in the same category as the others but every Everglades 243 I have seen is beautiful 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,207 Captain
    No Yellowfin?
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    edited July 25 #7
    kmagnuss said:
    No Yellowfin?
    Am I wrong or does their 24 not have trim tabs as an option.
  • cortrcortr Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Ranger 2510. Great hull but factory rigging and finishing seem to be suffering as of late
  • SEARUNNERSEARUNNER Posts: 287 Deckhand
    I’d definitely checkout the Action Craft 24’ Bay-boat too!  Very good bang for the buck - quality, ride, and setup. Plus the added benefit of superior customer service and direct factory support. Just my .$02.
    SEARUNNER said:
    I’d definitely checkout the Action Craft 24’ Bay-boat too!  Very good bang for the buck - quality, ride, and setup. Plus the added benefit of superior customer service and direct factory support. Just my .$02.
    👍
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,068 Officer
    edited August 4 #11
    Vinny l said:
    kmagnuss said:
    No Yellowfin?
    I don't know if it's an option, but it isn't a difficult add-on. I've added Bennett Bolt electric tabs to my own boat, and several friends boats. It's all plug and play, and about a two hour job. Any boat  dealer can do it for you if you aren't comfortable with it.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
    Vinny l said:
    kmagnuss said:
    No Yellowfin?
    I don't know if it's an option, but it isn't a difficult add-on. I've added Bennett Bolt electric tabs to my own boat, and several friends boats. It's all plug and play, and about a two hour job. Any boat  dealer can do it for you if you aren't comfortable with it.
    Thank you for that. 
    Visited the Islmorada boat company today and took a ride in their 24. Not sure how it can be improved on. Tomorrow it’s Billfish then Hells Bay.
    Visited and rode on a 24 Billfish today. One hell of a boat!!
    edited August 8 #15
    Are al of the hatch gaskets on the lids and the top of the compartments without a raised edge? If so, seems like that does not make for dry bins when opening them in wet conditions.
    I don’t recall on the Billfish but the Morada does.
    Did you pull the trigger on a boat?
    edited September 6 #18
    Nope, not yet I’m waiting on a few things. One of the builders is working on using Carbon innegra  as hull and deck material. I’m interested in seeing how it comes out. I’m also not really ready to start a new build. I’m probably a year out from a build deposit which is about the time it’ll take me to finish up the other couple of visits/rides with the other two or three builders.
  • MBC223MBC223 Palm Harbor, FLPosts: 24 Greenhorn
    Yellowfin will put tabs on anything you're willing to pay for.
    edited September 7 #20
    Yellowfin is one of the two or three I plan to visit in the next six months. 
    Do you own a YF?
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 540 Officer
       Seems to me you need to ask yourself three questions.
       One,what is my budget that I'm spending on a boat?Yes,
    All the boats mentioned are fine boats,but very pricy!
        Second,what will the new boat be used for 90% of the
    time?Offshore/backcountry,family boat or not,etc.
       Third,new or used?Most new boats lose 25% the first year.
    edited October 5 #22
    10kman said:
       Seems to me you need to ask yourself three questions.
       One,what is my budget that I'm spending on a boat?Yes,
    All the boats mentioned are fine boats,but very pricy!
        Second,what will the new boat be used for 90% of the
    time?Offshore/backcountry,family boat or not,etc.
       Third,new or used?Most new boats lose 25% the first year.
    All excellent questions, thank you for that. I’d be happy to address each.
     I have a prudent budget of not more then any of the above boats loaded would cost new.
    The use, well I’ve owned a multitude of boats over the 43 years I’ve been operating them both for pleasure and pay. The majority of my use, primarily inshore/near shore depending on the boat and conditions on any given day. Once I retire I plan to keep my Moccasin on Long Island and have a similar Bay boat for the Pompano area. My wife and I are planning on traveling all over Florida and the Gulf coast staying at Fishermen friendly resorts. The majority of the fishing I plan to do is much like up here on nice days I’ll head out to fish reefs, wrecks etc... or stay inshore, back country etc.. 
    I’ve fished the keys, Tampa, Chokoloskee, Port Charlotte I can keep going but for the sake of boredom I’ll stop there. Lastly, I have know problem buying a used boat provided it’s been properly maintained.
    Again, thank you for the questions