Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Homosassa River Looked Like October Yesterday

Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,672 Captain
I took a brief run out to the bay yesterday to set up a new autopilot.  The word must really be getting around about the poor scallop season.  Saw only 3 boats on the way down the river around noon and only 1 on the way in at 4:30.   There were only 2 boats with scallop flags up south of the channel in about 10'.  The parking lot at Riverhaven looked about how it does during football season. 

It will no doubt pick up on the weekend, but the economy is going to take quite a hit this year. 

Replies

• mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,546 Captain
    Doc: same at Gomez Rocks area. Usually, it would look like a parking lot. Very few boats were there. 
  • M4RealM4Real Posts: 131 Deckhand
    I heard the scallops were thick up in Keaton. I'm heading to the middle grounds Friday and Saturday. Too bad Red Snapper season is closed. ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Tell the cops You’re commercial...😎
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,995 AG
    i know it's been bleak but we're still going to go looking on Saturday out of Hernando Beach.  Even if we don't get any, it's still a day snorkeling out in the water and having fun.   
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,431 AG
    edited July 2019 #6

That's good to hear.  An economy should be built on something sustainable. 
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,225 Officer
    I was out there also on Tuesday, but fishing. The place was empty of scalloping boats where they were last year.. Radio chatter wasn't encouraging for those who Scallop (not me). One boat that I heard said they had about 40 in 10' and were done. I don't know how many people were onboard, but there were lots of people talking in the background. Sounds like slim pickings. The other boat that they were talking to said they had only found a few.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 837 Officer
    Just got back from a 3 day scallop trip. 2 boats , 7 people , we maybe got 50 over the days, still had fun but it needs to be shut down. Buddies battery went dead while waiting to recover boats today , to all the folks who helped us atvthe plantation boat ramp a very big thank you, all involved were extremely patient and helpful . Truly appreciate the hospitality from you folks in the big bend.
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,119 Officer
    edited July 2019 #9
    Don’t agree with shutting it down. Been here since Sunday and have made limits everyday. Some days we’ve been done by 12/1 and others at 3. There are plenty out deeper. 

Just because it’s a little more work since the scallops didn’t get stacked in 4’ of water this year or require a better eye in 10’ doesn’t mean they need regulated more.

no it’s not epic like last year but it’s still been good.  Ebb and flow...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-0w1ceJQ__s

National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,633 Captain
    I also do not agree with shutting it down
    Next year could be great if they have a good spawn and so little pressure since they stayed deep.
    When the tannic stained water  in Steinhatchee reduced the catch, the next year was great.

• jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 158 Deckhand
    Shut it down you guys can't be serious. Still can't figure out what all those boats are doing in the shallow water. Guess we will just stay out deeper and have no issues. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    I haven't been in years but we never looked in 4 feet of water.  Absolutely never.  When scalloping, always in 10ish feet of water.  It'd be interesting in reports if depths were included.  Maybe for the last few years things have been so good that people have been able to get away with picking in shallower water?

Hearing reports of no crowds kinda makes me wanna go..  They clearly haven't been picked over lol  I could swing a day during the week...
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,275 Officer
    Deep doesn’t work for a lot of people. Only 1/2 or less of my grandkids could scallop in 10 feet, probably 1/2 of the adults also. Takes a lot of the fun out of it when everyone cannot participate. I used to free dive in 25-30’ and stay down for around 90 seconds, but now on the third dive my ears would prevent me from completing it. When diving I have to go down and up SLOW. Hopefully when things were assessed, the health of the fishery was the deciding factor and not political/economic pressure. I live on the water a few blocks from Days Inn in CR and the crowds are definitely down from last couple years. Maybe less people will allow stock to recover. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    Ok, but are you saying that crowds of people should be able to limit out in 4 feet of water?  Is the normal population there?  Or just on good years?  I don't know.  Honest question and just curious.  I was raised as a fish so I don't really ever remember not being able to dive down 10'.  We certainly never bothered going shallower for scallops.  Not sure if there was good reason for it.  It was never explained to me.  But the practice followed me into adulthood bc it always worked.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    i don't think we've ever scalloped in 4' of water.   Usually always 6-7
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,546 Captain
    Went out shallow  today for a couple of hours. Notice many boats headed south near the bird rack area. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 837 Officer
    We started in 8ft and ended up in 10ft. I’m by no means saying we are scallop whispers but have been doing it long enough to know what one looks like. When pro guides are struggling to get 2 gallons it tells me something. As a hunter and fisherman I’m no fan of regulations but I also don’t want to see a great thing ruined. Fine don’t shut it down , lessen the bag limit , shorten the season.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,984 Captain
    I’ve seen people that couldn’t swim down and grab them in 4’. 🤣
    nick said:
    I’ve seen people that couldn’t swim down and grab them in 4’. 🤣
    funny you mention it i found a 5'long piece of PVC pipe with a dip net attached to the end in about 6 FOW last year.  Put it in the boat and planning on bringing it in case I get lazy myself
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,868 Captain
    Stay home.... 
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 158 Deckhand
    Stopped yesterday in a spot we've nicknamed devil's playground. It's in around 15ish feet and the vis was bad but the scallops were there. I know that's tough for a lot of people to do but if you can do it I would try the deep stuff.....
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 328 Deckhand
    Good to hear that here are more out deeper.  I can get them deeper, but my wife and kids can't.  We usually do decent in 6-8 feet, but not this year.  I did catch and release of the 13 caught off Weeki Wachee/Chaz area 7/4. 
    maybe in August they will move shallower
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,275 Officer
    edited July 2019 #24
    spangler said:
    Ok, but are you saying that crowds of people should be able to limit out in 4 feet of water?  Is the normal population there?  Or just on good years?  I don't know.  Honest question and just curious.  I was raised as a fish so I don't really ever remember not being able to dive down 10'.  We certainly never bothered going shallower for scallops.  Not sure if there was good reason for it.  It was never explained to me.  But the practice followed me into adulthood bc it always worked.
    We usually go out a couple times with my kids and their families, including 5 grandkids most of them snorkeling since they were 3. We have never scalloped deeper than 6’, usually 4’, but are not looking for limits. Just fun and usually a couple hundred scallops. 1/2 of the crew are great divers and snorkelers and could get them at any depth, but the rest just want to have a little fun but still have some success even though they cannot dive repeatedly to 10’. We’ll see how this year works out. 
  • MyMicheleMyMichele Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Scalloped out of Pasco County 07/27/2019; got a five-man limit in about three hours; most were found in depth between 4-6 feet; by now the season's closed for the year; I think limiting the season the way it's done in Pasco is the way to go
    MyMichele said:
    Scalloped out of Pasco County 07/27/2019; got a five-man limit in about three hours; most were found in depth between 4-6 feet; by now the season's closed for the year; I think limiting the season the way it's done in Pasco is the way to go
    Did you see the boat ramps on the east coast during ARS weekends?   Insanity from 3am on.   Scallop season would be worse if there were a shortened season.   This year with them being in deeper water it really discouraged people from going and they are pretty much getting a season off right now.   IDK if that will make for  a great season next year but 
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,984 Captain
    We’re getting 1-6 gallons a trip depending on scalloper skill. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,600 AG
    MyMichele said:

good deal.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 576 Officer
    The good old days!  Will they come back?
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?