Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

7-16-19 saw nice grass & heat

i haven’t been out for close to 3 weeks, finally ran the boat, alone. All is working, had to refresh the signal of the xm marine weather system). I decided to parallel the barge canal and try shallow trolling, but no takers. I stopped over what looked like nice bottom, and put out a large squid . I did catch a 3-4’ shark. Little excitement. Then no matter what I tried nothing. Could be because I drifted using squid? However, there is a lot of small bait around the 10-12’ area and a lot of grass “fields” I was hoping to troll more inshore, but the grass and the heat made it a short day. I noticed the water was cloudy and around 88 degrees.

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,207 Officer
    I fished that same area yesterday. The grass was really bad. I worked out to about 4 miles past the channel entrance marker and it was just as bad out there, but the water was a bit clearer. Today I fought the grass out of Homosassa. I think I'll take a break for awhile.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 572 Officer
    This is when you fish for. "GrassBass"!  I've caught whoppers.
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,291 Moderator
    Grass was non existent last time I went out of Crystal river. As were sharks , which was weird.  
    "You'll get your weather"
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,536 Captain
    Here's my question, what happens when this grass starts to decay? 
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,648 Captain
    As microorganisms break down the shed grass, the nutrients cycle back into the water column. This allows for midwater blooms of microalgae, mostly diatoms.  That's what gives the water in the Big Bend that yellowish-green color. 

If you look at the floating grass up close you'll see that the blades are covered with epiphytes, which eventually block light from entering the grass and inhibit photosynthesis.  So the grass sheds the oldest blades, which are no longer producing much food, and continuously grow new ones from their underground stems.  This shedding process is most active in the summer when high temperatures and abundant light promote fast growth. 

http://www.seagrassli.org/ecology/fauna_flora/epiphytes.html
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,612 Captain
    All this time I thought it was the shrimpers mowing the grass, thanks Doc