Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wakulla County "Preppers"

13»

Replies

• The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 4,038 Captain
    Back when I first joined the Navy in the mid-50's. There was no such thing as a MAGAZINE for small arms! A magazine was the storage area aboard ship for weapons, small arms ammo and deck gunnery operations powder, ammo, detonators, etc.

If you were assigned an M-1 or 1911 for guard duty and similar duties, you signed for the rifle or pistol and two CLIPS of ammo! Let an old Gunners Mate or a Gunny Sgt. (spent a lot of time at P.I. during my 26 years!) hear you call a clip a magazine, and your **** would have been chewed out big time! I don't know what triggered this calling a clip a magazine, but I'm sure that its post 'Nam War and probably civilian influenced.  
    Having some experience pays off again.........thanks
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,267 Captain
    Thanks for the explanation, Woodsrunner.

I might have to avoid controversy by calling them "removable ammunition storage devices".

Wonder what term the ATF regulations use?
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    But what about the ammo hidden  around the property???  We wanna know about the ammo........  ;)
    You are the only one that keeps bringing the guns into it. It was mentioned, that was it. That was never part of the crime. No one cares about the guns except you
    You should have been here yesterday
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,170 Captain
    It's OK to call a magazine a clip, you're just wrong! :)

Let's also call cartridges bullets.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,267 Captain
    If there's another name for "half-moon clips", I haven't heard it.

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Prove to me that I am wrong JKP! As I said above, I think it's simply a modern terminology change.
    Research and get a copy of Sgt. Alvin York's personal diary (he kept a daily diary against Army Regs) and you will read about his squad removing CLIPS of ammo from dead and wounded fellow soldiers, and that was during WW1 a hundred years ago.
    But what about the ammo hidden  around the property???  We wanna know about the ammo........  ;)
    You are the only one that keeps bringing the guns into it. It was mentioned, that was it. That was never part of the crime. No one cares about the guns except you
    You did see the wink and the grin........right...........sometimes I make jokes.  I'm starting to feel picked on by you......gator.   If you got something you want to get off your chest go ahead, just don't get your feelings hurt when I straighten you out.

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    edited July 2019 #69
    You did see the wink and the grin........right...........sometimes I make jokes.  I'm starting to feel picked on by you......gator.   If you got something you want to get off your chest go ahead, just don't get your feelings hurt when I straighten you out.
    I just don’t hear anyone talking about the guns at all except you. It was mentioned in the article, but no one was making that part of the crime. You said “I have a problems with reports that act like having guns and ammo are a crime..” no one “acted” like having guns were a crime. You interjected that into this thread, no one else. No one is coming for your guns dude
    You should have been here yesterday
    edited July 2019 #70
    Prove to me that I am wrong JKP! As I said above, I think it's simply a modern terminology change.
    Research and get a copy of Sgt. Alvin York's personal diary (he kept a daily diary against Army Regs) and you will read about his squad removing CLIPS of ammo from dead and wounded fellow soldiers, and that was during WW1 a hundred years ago.
    OK, easy enough. An ammunition clip is a device used to store individual rounds of ammunition together as a single unit that is then ready for insertion into the magazine of a gun. ... For rifles with an internal magazine, the clip loads the bullets into the firearm itself. 

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Regarding it being a modern term, negative. Magazines have always been called magazines. Tubular magazines on lever actions have always been called that. The original 1911 field manual dated 1940 (US Army) called the magazine a magazine. It also provides some instruction on how to fire from horseback if anyone is interested.

Regarding your reference to WW1 clips, see the images and description above. Clips hold ammo together for insertion into an internal magazine or in the case of moon clips hold cartridges together for insertion into a revolver. Clips have no moving parts / springs, etc. They are also more commonly used to hold a lady's hair in place or to secure an open bag of chips in which case they can have moving parts.

Here's a photo from my personal arsenal / ammo hoard that further illustrates the correct terminology. On the left is a decidedly evil and unnecessary 50 round magazine (not loaded to prevent fits of fear and unrest in the local community) and on the right is a clip (even says so on the carrying pouch label). Exploded view of a Glock magazine in the background for bonus points.

If there's another name for "half-moon clips", I haven't heard it.

See above.
    JKP said:

See above.
    Dude, I am impressed!!  How do you like your Garand?  Nothing like a good arsenal to give one that warm feeling inside.