Home Boating

Post manual

GreymareGreymare North AlabamaPosts: 17 Greenhorn
OK I need some help. I need a manual for a 1976 Post 42'. There are lots of little things that I don't know about this Yacht. I know I can figure out lots of this stuff with time but a manual would make it easier. I don't think they had a manual until sometimes in the 80s. I don't think a lot had changed from the mid 70s to the 80s. I have looked around on the Post page but I haven't been able to find anything. One of the things I need help figuring out now is the original bilge blower location. The current blower is not installed properly. It is currently hanging via some tie straps in a large square opening (opening 1 in the picture) There is no ducting attached to it. I have 2 new larger bilge blowers and tubing that I am going to install. There is another round opening (Opening 2 in the picture) that is located further toward the rear. I am wondering if that is the original blower location? Anyone know anything about this? I know there is a fresh air intake and and exhaust. I am just not sure which one is which. 

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    If there is an owners manual for the 1976 Post 42 I would think it was written for each individual boat.
    Most larger boats are not built in a production setting like automobiles where a single manual can cover many built the same way with the same parts in the same year. 

You might want to become friendly with your local sportie mechanic and/or dock/harbor master. 
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,321 Officer
    Suggest you put this question up on The Hull Truth if you haven't yet.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• GreymareGreymare North AlabamaPosts: 17 Greenhorn
    gandrfab said:
    If there is an owners manual for the 1976 Post 42 I would think it was written for each individual boat.
    Most larger boats are not built in a production setting like automobiles where a single manual can cover many built the same way with the same parts in the same year. 

You might want to become friendly with your local sportie mechanic and/or dock/harbor master. 
    I was told by post that they didn't change much from 1976 to 1980. The hull I am guessing had most if not all of the same holes in it. At least thats my hopes. LOL No harbor masters in the river I am on. I am to far from the coast for that kind of help and not any saltwater boat folks up this way. 

hossmoss said:
    Suggest you put this question up on The Hull Truth if you haven't yet.
    Its been over there for days with zero replies. No love there! LOL 
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    hi Greymare,  from the picture, it looks like the lower rectangular are inlets. an interior pic of them would help, but im guessing they have some form of baffling to prevent water intrusion. the smaller clamshell
    (opening 1)looks more like the blower output. my guess is the interior flange to accept the round helical 3" blower hose is missing, hence the current rig job. 
    In my experience, they don't really come with a service manual, usually a collection of installation/operation manuals for the different systems installed.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    POST MARINE GROUP LLC

23145 Buck Neck Rd
    Chestertown, MD 21620

Phone: 410.846.4625
    Fax: 410.778.3395

Business Hours:
    8:30 am to 4:30 pm EST

http://www.postyacht.com/about-us/

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I see two rectangular vents on the side of the boat, one forward one aft and the clamshell one.They don't usually just put them in for no reason. What was the forward one for? I bet the clamshell was added, do you have pictures of other boats you can compare to? I also doubt there is any kind of owners manual, like a car has. Even my 2001 WA doesn't have a manual which sucks and the manufacturer said we don't keep records that far back, when I asked for a wiring diagram. Besides dealers add a lot of stuff too that might not show up in a manual.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    FS Dan said:
    hi Greymare,  from the picture, it looks like the lower rectangular are inlets. an interior pic of them would help, but im guessing they have some form of baffling to prevent water intrusion. the smaller clamshell
    (opening 1)looks more like the blower output. my guess is the interior flange to accept the round helical 3" blower hose is missing, hence the current rig job. 
    In my experience, they don't really come with a service manual, usually a collection of installation/operation manuals for the different systems installed.

FSD
    Dan thanks for the info. Yeah sorry I didn't think to take any pictures of the inside and I am sure that would help someone figure it out for me. So the opening 1 with the clam shell is a rough cut opening around an 1' square. I will get some pictures when I get home Sunday or Monday. Opening 2 has a 5"-6" round hole with nothing attached to the wood. Operations manuals would be great too. Anything that would help me identify some of the locations for stuff. Nothing on the console has a label on it. I have figured out what the most important switches are. Some of them are not working or at least if they are I don't know what they go too. Anything to give me some direction would be good. Chasing electrical problems when you don't know where it is supposed to go is hard. LOL 

gandrfab said:
    POST MARINE GROUP LLC

23145 Buck Neck Rd
    Chestertown, MD 21620

Phone: 410.846.4625
    Fax: 410.778.3395

Business Hours:
    8:30 am to 4:30 pm EST

http://www.postyacht.com/about-us/

Yeah I called and talked to them right after I purchased the boat and the walked me to a link on there page where I could find what I am looking for. I happened to be at work and the website was blocked so nothing would come up. I have called them 2-3 times since then when I was in front of my computer where I could try and get there again but no one answers. I left them a message to call me every time but haven't gotten a call back. I am currently in DC about 2 miles away from them. I may try and make a drive there tomorrow if I get off work in time. 

surfman said:
    I see two rectangular vents on the side of the boat, one forward one aft and the clamshell one.They don't usually just put them in for no reason. What was the forward one for? I bet the clamshell was added, do you have pictures of other boats you can compare to? I also doubt there is any kind of owners manual, like a car has. Even my 2001 WA doesn't have a manual which sucks and the manufacturer said we don't keep records that far back, when I asked for a wiring diagram. Besides dealers add a lot of stuff too that might not show up in a manual.
    Haven't thought to look around at other pictures. I will look around and see what I can find.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,228 Officer
    Having gas engines, I would think that the clamshell is a spray deflector covering a vent from the tank. Years ago I had a 1976  Bertram 31 that had that.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
    So I finally got a chance to take a picture of the inside. So it looks like the blower is hanging between the Vent in front of opening 1 and Opening 1 itself. Based off the distance I thing that Opening 1 is supposed to be where the blower exits the hull. Thats where I felt the air blowing out from the opening where it is located. Does anyone know if this insulation is the way it came? 
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,974 AG
    I would think those are blower vents with those gassers below deck.

Run those blowers for 5 min or so before cranking those 454's.
  • Keyed-upKeyed-up Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    This is a common blower type that was used on boats like yours. 
    Mayfair Bilge Blower Flange Mount
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 402 Deckhand
    That wiring looks iffy to me but then just looking at a pic.