Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Red snapper full of roe

any idea why the powers at be would open the snapper season during the full moon spawn? LOL
we need more internet money

Replies

• seapro15seapro15 Posts: 219 Deckhand
    They'll probably count each egg as a snapper that the rec guys killed.  That way they can give us only 4 days next year. 
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 755 Officer
    edited July 2019 #3
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 831 Officer
    Because they have no idea what they are doing. Evident from their initial population count, to their scientific data collection process (ask Robert Johnson), to their lack of knowledge about a resource they manage (why would they want a harvest before their spawn), to the fact they will never listen to people who have spent their entire life fishing, diving, and protecting the ocean we love,  
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 404 Deckhand
    They were loaded in the gulf also
  • family timefamily time Posts: 32 Deckhand
    if they counted the roe then I would have lots of children.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,892 Captain
    Snapper are full of roe & King Roy is full of shiza.
    So what else is new?  :)
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 911 Officer
    They were probably hoping the snapper had their minds on other things than eating.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,222 Admiral
    While no fan of SAFMC, and surely could come up with better ways to regulate, it is worth knowing that the window for red snapper spawning can be wide....typical bell-curve as with so many species. 

Also......kill it a week early or a week late....either way you kept it from spawning.

The best you can do is not WASTE the roe and not clean your fish in such a way as to squander meat.  
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,892 Captain
    edited July 2019 #10
    The best we could do is not post pictures all over social media of sow heads the sharks bit off. And the snapper you threw back dead to upgrade, floating over your shoulder in the background, as you pose with your "one" you are taking home.
    They get most of their "scientific data" from simply watching what we post. And of course then applying some unrealistic extrapolation formula to it.
    I'm amazed every year at the stupid photos people don't proof read before posting. 👎

• redbone440redbone440 Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Agree CountryBumpkin - there was a pic on this board last week with that exact thing.  Guy is holding a very nice mule snapper, but there's something white floating behind the boat....zoom in and you know that that white object was.  Not cool.
  • redbone440redbone440 Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Good point Ben, but it sure seems like having the season later in the summer would allow for more snapper to spawn before being caught.  Of course the chances of rough seas increases once we get past August.  But having the 5 day season on the moon and on top of the GJKT smacks of either illiteracy or spitefulness by the SAFMC.  Seems like a mid August season would be perhaps a better choice for timing.  Also, wonder if next year we get just 3 or 4 days since it's pretty clear most anglers had no problem getting their limit.  SAFMC will claim we overharvested again, so will take away another day or two.  Guess they can't figure out that the "overharvest" is because they're thick as fleas on a dog's back!

• family timefamily time Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Just a idea. Instead of a snapper season, at the beginning of each year you can buy 5 tags since the season was a total of 5 days. You get all year to use your tags, no matter the size of the snapper you just have to have that tag in its lower jaw.
  • Graphix GuyGraphix Guy Posts: 44 Deckhand
    That roe was delicious. Just sayin’
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    The fish head to deep water to spawn.

Where I fish most guys were catching 20#+ fish before the season opened.  Season opens and they are getting 10-15# fish.

Just my observations.
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,437 Officer
    That roe was delicious. Just sayin’
    Agreed! First time trying fried roe and it was awesome! Also gave @Sea Snake snapper throats a try and those were great, too! There wasn't much snapper that went to waste at my house this weekend. 
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    Yes......a whole lot of those "20" pounders were teens anyway.....it takes a heck of a fish to be a true 20 pounder....but who cares, I say let em call em 20 or 25....makes for good fish stories !!

I like the tag idea....but it would never work.....dude has a tag, he goes out to catch a snapper...gets a couple nice ones, and heads on home.....if he don't see the man, the tags never get put on, and he's free to keep on going until he gets caught.  Law enforcement could never keep up......so for that reason it would not work.....not everyone is honest.
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,117 Captain
    Sea Snake said:
    Yes......a whole lot of those "20" pounders were teens anyway.....it takes a heck of a fish to be a true 20 pounder....but who cares, I say let em call em 20 or 25....makes for good fish stories !!

I like the tag idea....but it would never work.....dude has a tag, he goes out to catch a snapper...gets a couple nice ones, and heads on home.....if he don't see the man, the tags never get put on, and he's free to keep on going until he gets caught.  Law enforcement could never keep up......so for that reason it would not work.....not everyone is honest.
    exactly everyone thinks they got a 20+ every trip hahaha ive caught one 22.5lbs that i weighed on a digital scale and it was a freaking monster compared to some of these fish i see posted as 25-30lbs
  • portusrogerportusroger Posts: 177 Deckhand
    Biggest that day was 22.96
  • Family TraditionFamily Tradition Posts: 101 Deckhand
    The tag system could work very similarly to gator tags. One must tag immediately after landing and if caught without, you get a fine. I believe many are keeping fish regardless of the law. The tagging system would allow those wanting to stay within the law to do so with a little more convenience.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    portusroger......those are pigs !!