Home Diver's Corner

GO Pro for viewing potential fishing sites?

m9000m9000 Posts: 2,082 Captain
I'm thinking about getting a GoPro for getting video of potential fishing sites and to calibrate my interpretation of sonar images down to 100 ft.  I would use the camera when anchored or drifting ( < 3 knots).  I thought the diver group would have more info on the use of these cameras than the general fishing board.

Questions:
1.  Should I use a Go Pro or some other brand?  
2.  Which model?  I'm not looking for super sharp 4K video given the cloudy water off of Cedar Key.
3.  I assume I will need a waterproof housing.  Are the housings waterproof down to 100 ft?
4.  How did you attach the line to the waterproof housing?
5.  How do you keep the camera from spinning when deployed?

Thanks

Replies

• biglarbiglar Posts: 183 Deckhand
    I started off with a cheapie HD 1080P - about $50, IIRC - and it did OK, but not great.  Contrast was the biggest problem.  Then, after a lot of searching online and reading owner reviews, I bought a Gitup Git2 camera, along with all the gadgets and u/w housing.

I'm very pleased with the Gitup.  Results are noticeably better.....price is down now, from what I paid, too.  The Git3 is a later model that I'm not familiar with.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 710 Officer
    I've got a GoPro Hero3 which I use to ground truth the bottom I'm on, exactly as you describe.  Video quality is more than good enough to tell what's there.  The real trick is making a rig that will hold it off the bottom and prevent as much swinging and bobbing as possible and is still easy to store on the boat.  The underwater housing comes with the gopro and is waterproof to well over 100'.  I made a bridal out of 200# mono, doubled up and looped around the camera with a 4 inch styrofoam float right above it to hold it upright.  2-3 feet of 30# mono goes from the bottom to an 8 oz lead sinker.  The sinker line is much lighter than whatever line I'm dropping with so that the lead will break free before anything else does if snagged.

I still get a fair bit of swing and bob, but a little swing isn't bad because you want to see more than a 90 degree field of view.  Experiment and develop your own rig; it might work better.
  • dontezumadontezuma Posts: 215 Deckhand
    I built a PVC drogue for this purpose and to capture images of trolled baits getting hammered.  I use a cheap $50 ODRVM (brand) camera.  It's got Sony optics, but it's definitely lower quality than my GoPro4.  The housing on those is definitely solid.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_wUU5N0tFA
    In this video, you can see how it works out.  As Koko noted, there's a lot of bob and swing.  But you get a decent view of the bottom.  I could have left it sit longer, but lesson learned.  I have some decent trolling video, too, but nothing hit the baits, so no reason to post. 

Remember, in the housing, there's trapped air, so you have some buoyancy to offset if you're building a harness. 
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 2,082 Captain
    I've got a GoPro Hero3 which I use to ground truth the bottom I'm on, exactly as you describe.  Video quality is more than good enough to tell what's there.  The real trick is making a rig that will hold it off the bottom and prevent as much swinging and bobbing as possible and is still easy to store on the boat.  The underwater housing comes with the gopro and is waterproof to well over 100'.  I made a bridal out of 200# mono, doubled up and looped around the camera with a 4 inch styrofoam float right above it to hold it upright.  2-3 feet of 30# mono goes from the bottom to an 8 oz lead sinker.  The sinker line is much lighter than whatever line I'm dropping with so that the lead will break free before anything else does if snagged.

I still get a fair bit of swing and bob, but a little swing isn't bad because you want to see more than a 90 degree field of view.  Experiment and develop your own rig; it might work better.
    Would you mind posting a picture of your setup?
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,390 Officer
    dontezuma said:
    I built a PVC drogue for this purpose and to capture images of trolled baits getting hammered.  I use a cheap $50 ODRVM (brand) camera.  It's got Sony optics, but it's definitely lower quality than my GoPro4.  The housing on those is definitely solid.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_wUU5N0tFA
    In this video, you can see how it works out.  As Koko noted, there's a lot of bob and swing.  But you get a decent view of the bottom.  I could have left it sit longer, but lesson learned.  I have some decent trolling video, too, but nothing hit the baits, so no reason to post. 

Remember, in the housing, there's trapped air, so you have some buoyancy to offset if you're building a harness. 
    Cool video! 
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 710 Officer
    m9000 said:

Would you mind posting a picture of your setup?
    Crummy picture, but it should give the general idea, which is hard to describe in words:

Two feet of light mono is tied to the bottom and 8 ounce sinker on the end of that.
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 2,082 Captain