Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wakulla County "Preppers"

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    I don't even see how this makes for "news" in Wakulla Co.

I figure it's just regular relations there.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,267 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    nothing wrong with an arsenal..
    Would you care to define the term?

Would you include a "collection" like this one?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/us/man-charged-massive-los-angeles-gun-seizure/index.html
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,340 Admiral
    When he was arrested, authorities said there was no indication Saenz used the guns in crimes.

Some people collect cars, baseball cards, coins, tools, pottery, fishing lures, rods, ect. ect. And some people collect guns. Only thing wrong with his collection were some of them are illegal in Calf and possibly illegal in all states.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    I love how 80% of threads devolve into 2nd amendment debates.
    Trying to figure out we get the Epstein one there.
    Give me some time.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,170 Captain
    JKP said:
    Good thing politics isn't discussed on this site. If it was, someone might be spouting off some liberal BS about how many guns someone should own and the assertion that anyone who has a lot of them has a screw loose. 

First time I've seen politics mentioned on this thread. Why bring it up?
    If you really believe someone discussing gun ownership and espousing a decidedly left leaning view on it isn't delving into the current political soup perhaps you have the loose screw. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,688 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/us/man-charged-massive-los-angeles-gun-seizure/index.html
    it's Cali so I would probably be violating some type of gun law there.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 4,038 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I just wonder that if the couple had been arrested for tax or welfare fraud if their arsenal would have been mentioned?
    It seems like the media has an agenda to talk about guns and ammo when people are arrested for any number of offenses.  It seems to be a psych op to associated guns with criminals and thus subconsciously portray guns as a criminal element in the mind of the general public.  This will eventually make it easier to confiscate them once the public has been dumbed down to Neanderthal level by the education and media process.

And the process gets me POed.........
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
    ANUMBER1 said:

So the state robs this guy of several $100,000 worth of guns and ammo because the state has laws that violate the 2nd amendment and wants to throw him in jail for the rest of his life.  Nice.  And people wonder why we have people getting upset with the way the governors are governing .  

"A law enforcement official said back in May they had not found any evidence linking Saenz to terrorism."

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,002 Moderator
    JKP said:
    JKP said:
    Good thing politics isn't discussed on this site. If it was, someone might be spouting off some liberal BS about how many guns someone should own and the assertion that anyone who has a lot of them has a screw loose. 

First time I've seen politics mentioned on this thread. Why bring it up?
    If you really believe someone discussing gun ownership and espousing a decidedly left leaning view on it isn't delving into the current political soup perhaps you have the loose screw. 
    I have no screws loose at all. And the first mention of politics is yours. To paraphrase one of the Admins, you could politicize a roll of toilet paper.

It's a good discussion. Please leave politics out of it.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Well I saw my first news on the case today on Tallahassee TV.  Learned the girls are 22 YO twins with some kind of disability and that the accused had ammunition stored in different locations on their property.  Huh?
    Can someone tell me where the ammunition comes into the supposed crime?

There's owning firearms.

There's collecting firearms.

Then there's having an arsenal of firearms, and thousands of rounds of ammo.

That last designation is the one that gets LEO really nervous, and with good reason.

We know all about the "slippery slope" argument against further federal legislation.

I aknowledge that there's reason for concern in that regard.

( Especially when we see what happened in Canada, Australia, and now New Zealand. )

But, the bottom line is that people with an arsenal at home have a screw loose.

It's as much a mental health issue as any other form of "hoarding" ... just more dangerous.

With a "paraniod personality disorder", they need treatment, or a straight-jacket.

What constitutes an arsenal from a quantity perspective? 50? 100? 200?

Any self respecting Southern gentlemen should have at least a thousand rounds of ammo so I won't even ask what the low side of that metric of craziness is.

Just checking for a friend to determine if I should refer him to a mental health professional...
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    " Some of the firearms were hidden behind false walls or a staircase."
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,722 Captain
    edited July 2019 #43
    Well, hiding spots for valuables makes sense to me.  I'm def not sticking up for these nut jobs.. but suggesting one's character be in question bc of an 'arsenal' or a 'lot' of ammo is bs  why even mention it in the article at all?
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,595 Captain
    spangler said:
    Well, hiding spots for valuables makes sense to me.  I'm def not sticking up for these nut jobs.. but suggesting one's character be in question bc of an 'arsenal' or a 'lot' of ammo is bs  why even mention it in the article at all?
    ding, ding, ding, winner.   "Why even mention it?"

Good point micci........

edited July 2019 #48
    The probable reason that the guns were mentioned is that it was part of the police report.

Media might not have mentioned them if it wasn't an unusual situation in the first place.

( The police probably ran the numbers of every weapon, right off the bat. That's their job. )

But why speculate? 

Someone should contact the county police and ask about their guidelines.

What are their procedures, and why do they report the presence of guns that way?

Are they required by state of federal law or regulation to do so?

Do they risk the loss of funding if they don't?

Even if having a huge arsenal at home isn't "abberent behavior" there's another issue.

That huge stash in LA wasn't secured, they were just piled up everywhere.

What would have been happened if a street gang found them before the police?

We all know that the vast majority of weapons used by criminals are stolen.

An arsenal of weapons and ammo in the house, unsecured, is irresponsible.

Having two or three hidden, and easily available, shouldn't be a big issue.

But, if a Glock 19 and two clips aren't enough, you should go to the range more often. 

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,641 AG
    The probable reason that the guns were mentioned is that it was part of the police report.

Media might not have mentioned them if it wasn't an unusual situation in the first place.

( The police probably ran the numbers of every weapon, right off the bat. That's their job. )

But why speculate? 

What are their procedures, and why do they report the presence of guns that way?

Even if having a huge arsenal at home isn't "abberent behavior" there's another issue.

But, if a Glock 19 and two clips aren't enough, you should go to the range more often. 

Dank\g Nick. Why check any guidelines? I/we can have as many guns as we wish. It is or write. Don't take this the wrong way but with this post and others you do lead me to think you are a person that doesn't believe in people owning firearms small or large. You may want to go and work on your early 1900 windows or barn roof. No disrespect man. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    way years ago, I had a joint in my center console, I was a little drunk (.012 when DUI was .010) and I shot a couple of street signs (on hwy 3) tween Putney and Baconton..

Got stopped on my way back home (Stagecoach rd, Putney) got charged for all.

Albany Herald printed that I was arrested on various firearms. alcohol, and drug charges..

just a young **** but sounded like I was a major player,
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

But why speculate? 

It's magazine. Clips go in your wife's hair. 
    lol
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 5,147 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    way years ago, I had a joint in my center console, I was a little drunk (.012 when DUI was .010) and I shot a couple of street signs (on hwy 3) tween Putney and Baconton..

Got stopped on my way back home (Stagecoach rd, Putney) got charged for all.

Albany Herald printed that I was arrested on various firearms. alcohol, and drug charges..

just a young **** but sounded like I was a major player,
    Back then , to the drunk, wanna be a gonzo, print writer, you were. Funny thing is, the guy who runs most newes outlets that are running newes like this , owns as many guns as these people. 
    JKP said:

But why speculate? 

It's magazine. Clips go in your wife's hair. 
    Quite right.

My bad.

Slipped into the vernacular.
    I claim either term is acceptable..........Magazine sometimes sounds a little too up town for us country boys, especially for 22 s, too little to call a magazine,  maybe mag. is OK but I still use clip too........

edited July 2019 #56
    micci_man said:
    Dank\g Nick. Why check any guidelines? I/we can have as many guns as we wish. It is or write. Don't take this the wrong way but with this post and others you do lead me to think you are a person that doesn't believe in people owning firearms small or large. You may want to go and work on your early 1900 windows or barn roof. No disrespect man. 

The guidelines were mentioned only to help us understand why the police and media said what they said.

( As well as the way they said it. )

It shouldn't have been such a contentious issue,

But rather that guess and argue about it, rather than inferring an "agenda", why not go to the source?

As for firearms ownership ... responsible firearms ownership ... I'm for it.

Mr. Glock is five feet from this desk, and two from my hand.

My wife keeps her pistol in a safe, for all the good it does there.

Our son has a few too many, but needs some convincing.

( After just one round, his Casull was never seen again. )
    There is an agenda Nick, just keep watching and you will see it too..........it's not just the LE, it is in the media of all types.  Not just a LE guideline.

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,641 AG
    Both are out on bond now....
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    But what about the ammo hidden  around the property???  We wanna know about the ammo........  ;)

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Back when I first joined the Navy in the mid-50's. There was no such thing as a MAGAZINE for small arms! A magazine was the storage area aboard ship for weapons, small arms ammo and deck gunnery operations powder, ammo, detonators, etc.

If you were assigned an M-1 or 1911 for guard duty and similar duties, you signed for the rifle or pistol and two CLIPS of ammo! Let an old Gunners Mate or a Gunny Sgt. (spent a lot of time at P.I. during my 26 years!) hear you call a clip a magazine, and your **** would have been chewed out big time! I don't know what triggered this calling a clip a magazine, but I'm sure that its post 'Nam War and probably civilian influenced.  
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Note:
    In my Post above, the **** denotes a certain part of your anatomy behind you!