Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wakulla County "Preppers"

Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,267 Captain
This story is bad, and could get worse.

https://www.facebook.com/wakullasheriffsoffice/posts/2465591176794452?__tn__=K-R

Evidently, the state of Florida doen't do a decent job of tracking at-risk children.

It appears that 13 year old twins were sent to these dirtbags back in 2009.

The state probably washed their hands of them when they turned 18.

Replies

• bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 432 Deckhand
    Sad story. I know one of this couple's older sons. He has always been nothing short of a standup man as far as I could tell. Makes me wonder what his childhood may have been like?
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 4,038 Captain
    I have a problems with reports that act like having guns and ammo are a crime.........no crime in having survival equipment either but there it is , presented like it is a crime.   Kinda like saying "....and they were known to use hot water when they showered........"   
    being weird is not a crime, the only potential crime is an accusation by the girls of some kind of sexual abuse that could or could not be true. But they are slandered on facebook before any trial or conviction.
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    edited July 2019 #4
    Melman, I’m not sure how you could read the story and write what you did.....They are a couple of monsters. The girls didn’t slander anyone, the escaped a nightmare situation. No one cares about the guns, it’s the **** and imprisonment that bothers most people. There is no sympathy due these folks
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,267 Captain
    I have a problems with reports that act like having guns and ammo are a crime.........no crime in having survival equipment either but there it is , presented like it is a crime.   Kinda like saying "....and they were known to use hot water when they showered........"   
    being weird is not a crime, the only potential crime is an accusation by the girls of some kind of sexual abuse that could or could not be true. But they are slandered on facebook before any trial or conviction.
    That report was generated by the county police, and they probably have a policy of mentioning firearms, especially large quantities of firearms, and hidden stashes or firearms, when found in possession of people arrested for felonies. I wouldn't be surprised if after investigation both are also charged with some form of "slavery".  Sexual abuse wasn't the only accusation. The multiple bruises, presumably from a beating, wouldn't have been mentioned unless they were substantial, and numerous. 

Melman, I’m not sure how you could read the story and write what you did.....They are a couple of monsters. The girls didn’t slander anyone, the escaped a nightmare situation. No one cares about the guns, it’s the **** and imprisonment that bothers most people. There is no sympathy due these folks
    Well if it turns out they are monsters, throw em in jail but lets be sure of the truth before we throw them under the bus.  Too many liars in every area of life these days to go off on people without some in depth eval of the situation.   My main complaint about the situation is the ongoing tactic of using gun possession as an indication pointing toward a "bad person or persons."  If these 23 YO women are telling the truth and  have been chained up for years and abused then we will throw the preppers in jail, but they are not guilty based on how many guns and how much ammo they have in their home...........

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,002 Moderator
    Being in possession of firearms during a felony is a felony in and of it's self.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    edited July 2019 #8
    Well if it turns out they are monsters, throw em in jail but lets be sure of the truth before we throw them under the bus.  Too many liars in every area of life these days to go off on people without some in depth eval of the situation.   My main complaint about the situation is the ongoing tactic of using gun possession as an indication pointing toward a "bad person or persons."  If these 23 YO women are telling the truth and  have been chained up for years and abused then we will throw the preppers in jail, but they are not guilty based on how many guns and how much ammo they have in their home...........
    Can you be outraged that this imprisonment and torture was going on ( in our back yards) and not that guns were mentioned? What’s wrong you? No one is talking about the guns except you  and the article didn’t “ act like having guns and ammo was a crime “. It was mostly talking about the imprisonment and sexual abuse. Please don’t be upset about the guns, no one cares. Be upset about the ****, imprisonment and beatings
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,340 Admiral
    Got to side with Mel. All I have heard is the girls side. BT even said their oldest son seems like a stand up guy. 
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 125 Deckhand
    Stories outside the Wakulla Sheriff's department Facebook page, are the ones who seem to be driving the fact that this is what these preppers are about. On a national level, they are doing their best to tie evil people and guns any way they can with these stories. This one in fact helps their cause and rightfully so...because these two need to disappear forever.
    Anchorbait said:
    Stories outside the Wakulla Sheriff's department Facebook page, are the ones who seem to be driving the fact that this is what these preppers are about. On a national level, they are doing their best to tie evil people and guns any way they can with these stories. This one in fact helps their cause and rightfully so...because these two need to disappear forever.
    Facebook and most of social media turns out to be just an extension of the Democrat party apparatus:
    https://www.spinquark.com/welcome-to-social-government/

But if you confirm the truth of the situation then get em.  Just don't understand how 2 Twenty three yo women could be confined and abused in this day and age........

Can you be outraged that this imprisonment and torture was going on ( in our back yards) and not that guns were mentioned? What’s wrong you? No one is talking about the guns except you  and the article didn’t “ act like having guns and ammo was a crime “. It was mostly talking about the imprisonment and sexual abuse. Please don’t be upset about the guns, no one cares. Be upset about the ****, imprisonment and beatings
    What's wrong with me?  I just like to wait for the trial before hanging people.  I am not a fan of mob justice.  Too many innocent people can and have been hurt by it.   And I don't remember how these women were imprisoned or how they were abused, being in the article so, the story is incomplete at this point.   After that Spinquark story I am now a little leary of taking what Facebook says as the gospel truth also.  Don't get your panties in a wad.  Slow is smooth.

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    MelMan, believe me it happens, and right here in the Capitol City, too, and I speak from first-hand experience.
    Three or four years ago a waitress at a local restaurant quietly slipped my wife a hand written note on a napkin telling her that two young women in their twenties working in the kitchen were being held in bondage with no chance of escape. My wife who is experienced in this took immediate action. Two days later federal authorities arrested the "perps" (three of them) and freed the two young women---all in a house in in a high income area of northeast Tallahassee. (The "perps", part of a national ring, were tried and sentenced to 30+ years in federal prison).

And as far as weapons go, if you see me out and about with my wife, be assured that my Sig Sauer is within easy reach. I will not be disarmed, either. 
    Anchorbait said:
    Facebook and most of social media turns out to be just an extension of the Democrat party apparatus:
    https://www.spinquark.com/welcome-to-social-government/

But if you confirm the truth of the situation then get em.  Just don't understand how 2 Twenty three yo women could be confined and abused in this day and age........
    "Just don't understand how 2 Twenty three yo women could be confined and abused in this day and age."

Mel, it happens all over the world and has for ages.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Sad, sad report.

Woosdsrunner, I am pleased to hear that your family could help another. 
    Blessings.
    God, save the South!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,688 AG
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,340 Admiral
    Yes it happens but people are also falsely accused also. Let's hear the other side, let's have a trial. If proven guilty, I'll drive the bus that runs over them.  WCTV's report said nothing of them using guns to hold the girls. What Mel is saying is why did the news bring up the fact that they may have guns stored at other locations. Yes Human Trafficking is one of the top crimes in our country right now, admit it or not. But back on this case. I got a long story for you to think about.

Several years ago we had a DA named Brown Mosely. I was sitting close to him one day at a dinner (lunch for the yankees) meeting. Child molestation came up in the conversation some how. Brown told of a case he had prosecuted in the last few years. He first told what a child had to do before trial.

The child has to tell someone  (teacher, relative, friends parent,  preacher ect)

That person has to believe them and call the law. Child then tells story to law,

Law then call investigator and child has to tell story again.

Investigator call child services and child tells story again.

Child Services call DA, child tells story again.

Child then tells story to grand jury.

Child then tells story to trial jury.

OK, now story has been told 6-7 times and in this case story never wavered.  Brown said he had the SOB convicted and hanging on the cross. He said he doesn't know why but when the defense attorney was through with his questions to the girl, Brown ask 1 more question to her. "Was the light on or off when your daddy came into the room?" The girl said she didn't know. He ask again and her response was "She didn't know, her momma didn't tell her that"  Brown said Judge Cato so did look at him hard over the top of his glasses. The man was innocent and was being set up by his wife. 

I know that isn't the case here but, let's here the other side. 
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Interesting coincidence where he went to live and where this case took place..........

Well I saw my first news on the case today on Tallahassee TV.  Learned the girls are 22 YO twins with some kind of disability and that the accused had ammunition stored in different locations on their property.  Huh?
    Can someone tell me where the ammunition comes into the supposed crime?

edited July 2019 #20
    Well I saw my first news on the case today on Tallahassee TV.  Learned the girls are 22 YO twins with some kind of disability and that the accused had ammunition stored in different locations on their property.  Huh?
    Can someone tell me where the ammunition comes into the supposed crime?

There's owning firearms.

There's collecting firearms.

Then there's having an arsenal of firearms, and thousands of rounds of ammo.

That last designation is the one that gets LEO really nervous, and with good reason.

We know all about the "slippery slope" argument against further federal legislation.

I aknowledge that there's reason for concern in that regard.

( Especially when we see what happened in Canada, Australia, and now New Zealand. )

But, the bottom line is that people with an arsenal at home have a screw loose.

It's as much a mental health issue as any other form of "hoarding" ... just more dangerous.

With a "paraniod personality disorder", they need treatment, or a straight-jacket.

Woah Nick!

slow down buddy....
    God, save the South!
    edited July 2019 #22
    OK Andy ...

I did go off ...

There's a paranoid, obsessive compulsive, borderline personality disorder nearby.

Been dealing with his act for several years now ... and there's no end in sight.

As far as I know, he's only armed with a bad dog and some golf clubs.

We no longer have a dog, and I don't golf, but ... I'm a decent shot.    ;)
    OK Andy ...

I did go off ...

There's a paranoid, obsessive compulsive, borderline personality disorder nearby.

Get yourself a nice German Shepard and you will feel better..........and remember, there are no laws limiting how many guns or how much ammo one can own.   One 22 revolver in the hands of a nut job is much more dangerous than 25 AR15's in Ferris's basement, even if he has ammo in multiple locations.......... ;)

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,226 AG
    well that story is horrible. 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,170 Captain
    Good thing politics isn't discussed on this site. If it was, someone might be spouting off some liberal BS about how many guns someone should own and the assertion that anyone who has a lot of them has a screw loose. 

JKP said:
    Good thing politics isn't discussed on this site. If it was, someone might be spouting off some liberal BS about how many guns someone should own and the assertion that anyone who has a lot of them has a screw loose. 

First time I've seen politics mentioned on this thread. Why bring it up?

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

nothing wrong with an arsenal..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I just wonder that if the couple had been arrested for tax or welfare fraud if their arsenal would have been mentioned?
    Only if their house was searched in conjunction with the fraud charges.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

edited July 2019 #30
    Every locality has different procedures for different situations.

This applies to both operational aspects, and public information.

Could someone closer to that jurisdiction ask if the Wakulla has written guidelines? 

Most public agencies are upfront in discussing these matters, and respond professionally.

Policies and precedures are frequently adjusted at the request of the public.

The recent high dollar settlement of a civil case in St. Louis County is a case in point.

A homeowners dog was shot and killed by a county SWAT team while running away.

The county had sent SWAT teams with home inspectors whenever utilities were turned off.

Needless to say, that policy is "under review".

If utilities are shut off the property shall be condemned and vacant.
    boarded up, sold, or torn down.
    unless it’s a self sustaining structure...
    God, save the South!