Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Weeki Wachee Scallops and Mangrove Snapper

As I've posted on the other scallop threads, we caught 13 scallops in 2 days and threw them back.  Quite a few boats out and they were moving frequently.

We found some rock pipes in 7 feet that held a few keeper snapper and plenty of shorts.  We also snorkeled that rock pile at the bird tower at the end of the channel and did not see ANY snappers.  What I did find (and removed) was a fresh pile of beer cans near the rocks.  I'm guessing the local drunks kept every snapper they caught from those rocks.  I also found a new anchor that someone lost, also near the beer cans (the anchor line led directly towards the cans).  I guess when you've been drinking, its too difficult to hop in 4 feet of water to retrieve your anchor. 

A couple of years ago, I retrieved a freshly broken off lower unit (Mercury) from those same rocks.  It was still leaking oil when I took it out.

Replies

• plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 329 Deckhand
    We were in the same area as you from July 4 - 7. Scalloped from 4 feet to 8 feet (crystal river) and they were few and far between. Moved several times. The upside is my kids and grand kids had a great time and that is more important to me anyways. We fished and caught a pile of undersized reds, flounder, jacks and some rather nice sized sharks in the barge canal near the spoil banks. 
    2019 Frontier 2014 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,612 AG
    @Slo Poke1
    I was planning on going Saturday but the weather report Friday caused me to reconsider.   glad i did  i haven't heard any encouraging reports so far. 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,966 Captain
    @Slo Poke1
    I was planning on going Saturday but the weather report Friday caused me to reconsider.   glad i did  i haven't heard any encouraging reports so far. 
    Except for one guy reposting pics from last year 😂
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,612 AG
    nick said:
    @Slo Poke1
    Oh nice has that been going around?  
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • jimmypjimmyp Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    A fella over in West Central said he had no trouble getting a limit in 10 feet out of Crystal River. Everyone I know has had trouble getting any to speak of, including my bunch. A renter across the canal from me was excited about the 40 four of them got today. When you can count them you ain't doing good.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,966 Captain
    edited July 2019 #8
    nick said:
    @Slo Poke1
    Oh nice has that been going around?  
    It’s tapered off. I’m point blank telling them if they’re going meat hunting stay home. 

On our half day trips were getting about a 2 gallon average in shallow. Not great by any means but still enough for people to have fun. Experienced scallopers could definitely grind out a limit.