My 42' Post Story (2)

GreymareGreymare North AlabamaPosts: 17 Greenhorn

Hello all! I am new here to FS. I wanted to pop in and say hello! I am absolutely obsessed with the show Project Dream Boat and what the guys over at MCU do! I have always been a car guy and have tinkered and built them forever. I have lost the passion for that and now think boats might be my new calling! I have over the last 6-7 years got the bug for a boat. Apparently I have expensive taste because everything I was in love with had a 6 figure price tag. Since I live in North Alabama right now it doesn’t make sense for me to have this much of a boat payment for a Gulf offshore boat that would sit a majority of the time. I love saltwater fishing and love the gulf coast. My goal is to retire to the gulf. I come every year now and end up chartering a boat. Normally doing 10-12 hour trips but have done as long as 48 hour trips for some Tuna. These trips had already started the fire for a boat. Once I started watching project dream boat 8-10 months back it poured jet fuel on the fire. I ended up buying a 19’ Polar CC for really cheap with the plans to fish it on Lake Guntersville as well as do some inshore fishing in the gulf. Well it ended up having a lot of glass work needed that sent me on a You tube learning adventure that made things even worse. A few days after I bought the Polar my cousin finally called and offered to sell me a 24’ Proline CC I had been bugging him about for months. It had been sitting for quite a while and needed a little TLC. Well this ended up being a flop because the engine had one cylinder with low compression. Well I have been looking around trying to decide on the right engine combo (putting the boat back to twins) that was in my price range.

As I am searching I stumble on a 1976 42’ Post Flybridge Convertible on an auction site. It was at one of the local marinas and the folks had abandon it and just never came back after 4 years. So there were tons of unknowns. The bid was low enough to peek my interest. I convinced the wife we should buy it and slip it in the Gulf for whenever we wanted to go down and fish we could. Well after calling around and getting prices for slipping a 42’ there it just didn’t make sense to spend that much money with me having 15-20 years before I retire. I talked myself out of buying it so I didn’t even go look at it. This was for sure an end goal boat for me though. I still kept an eye on the boat and on the last day with 30 minutes left the bid hadn’t moved. I talked to the wife and agreed we would put in a bid with the thoughts I would be Proxy bided out immediately but at least if someone was going to own it for that cheap it was going to be us. Well I ended up with the winning bid for thousands less than my bid! So now I am the proud owner of a 1976 Post Yacht!

The day after I won the bid I went to the check it out. The lines and size of this boat was lost in the pictures! My first thought was MAN she has some sexy lines! The next thought was WOW she is BIG! She needs a little work but is in over all pretty good condition. She is powered by twin 350HP Crusader 454s and has 9KW Kolher genset. I had to rebuild a few seawater pumps and did some oil changing and added some marvel mystery oil to the cylinders before we ever stuck a key in it. I had 7 days to have it moved from the marina it was located at to one that was closer to me. Note the closest I had ever come to messing with one prior to this purchase was getting lessons on how to operate a head on a charter boat. To say I was lost on how everything worked was an understatement! Lucky for me I have a good friend that knows a lot about almost everything. Without his help I would be paying slip rent at the original slip still. Anyway it purred like a kitten once we got fuel up to the engines. On the last day I had we moved the boat over to the other marina. It was a 45 mile sea trial! We took it slow at around 8-9 mph enjoying the day. I was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs when I climbed up to take the wheel. The largest thing I had driven by this point was a 24’ Pontoon boat and I had to land this Yacht on a fuel dock first thing. I learned in the first minute that the rutters were useless at idle speed and put here next to the dock without even a bump using just the engines. I ended up docking her 3 times that day without bumping the first rail and even had my first experience passing through the locks.

I have owned the boat now for about 2 months. I have learned more in this time about the inner workings of one of these than I thought was even possible. I have a laundry list of things I want to do to it as far as upgrades but staying with the classic look these boats are known for. I now can think of nothing else but what I want to do next! I lay in the bed at night and roll through things in my head adding to the list of stuff I want to do! I have even been going back through all the old episodes of FSPDB on my DVR for inspiration. It’s like a diseases! The first modification I did was tinting the windows and getting the awful make shift curtains down! The change in the look from that alone was amazing! I have also started sanding the top of the teak rails on the AFT area. Well I am sure by now most of you have been bored by my story and scrolled down to the pictures. I will keep you all posted on upgrades as I am doing them. For now here she is.

Replies

• NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 539 Officer
    That's a beautiful boat, and sure to bring about many days of happiness and adventures.  I always enjoy seeing older boats like this come back to life, so looking forward to your updates.
    Florida Impressions | Adventuring in the Sunshine State
  • VeroDDVeroDD Posts: 317 Deckhand
    Beautiful Boat!  I love those old Posts!  Enjoy!!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,204 AG
    That thing is pretty I hope you enjoy it often!  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 4,838 Captain
    edited July 10 #5
    Nice!!  Don’t know what you plan to spend, but you might start looking at some remanufactured Cummins diesels. At some point you will want them with that size boat.  Oh and not bored with that story at all.  A classic boat and keep us posted. 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 9,251 Admiral
    You are right! Love those lines! Great job bringing her back.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
     B) 
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,712 Moderator
    She sure has great lines. A labor of love for sure.
    larrywitt
  • GreymareGreymare North AlabamaPosts: 17 Greenhorn

Thanks for the nice comments all! One of the things I have been struggling with is the installation of a top. As you will note in the pictures there are no rails on the boat. There is only the remaining hand rail for the ladder. The story I was told is that the original owner had taken them off doing some work to the boat and had left them stored at the marinas warehouse. Then one night he moved his boat to another marina with some past due rent. The owner of the marina held them hostage for the past due rent. They eventually sold them as scrap! I have no interest in reinstalling the bow rails anyway. Granted I understand they would make it safer but I think it looks much better without them. The only time I plan to be up there is to wash the boat and to throw ropes. That all being said I do need some kind of rail around the flybridge. I did some looking and think I could build me a custom rail out of the 7/8” stainless tube (Like the original) just to have something there to keep from falling to the AFT deck. I also would like to have a top as every time I have taken it out I have got roasted by the sun! I have the original soft side windows that were supposed to be on the boat. I am not sure I like the way it looks at least in all the pictures I have seen. Since there is no AC up there I am not sure the windows would get used that much unless it was raining anyway. I have been toying with the idea of doing a hard top on the boat so I could mount a radar and all to it. My biggest concern is making sure that it doesn’t look out of place. It would be a shame to add something and ruin the look of the boat but I do want it to be functional. I would also like to go with a bigger rail and install some rod holders. I think I want to do a full custom top. Anyone know what the standard tubing size is on a T-top? Anyone got any thought or recommendations?

edited July 10 #10
    Handy may be able to help?

I was wondering how the hot chicks got around there.
    Gandy,, stupid auto correct.
    dave44 said:

As I am married and I doubt the wife is going to allow any other hot chicks on the boat it will not be needed. LOL 
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 386 Deckhand
    That's a fine looking vessel. Have you had it hauled and looked at the bottom? With it sitting awhile I wonder what it is like on the bottom.
    Greymare said:
    dave44 said:

As I am married and I doubt the wife is going to allow any other hot chicks on the boat it will not be needed. LOL 
    Yeah, my wife frowns on that too. Well, it’s nice having my wife on my boat too.  😔 
    Kidding! My wife is my life!!! ( seriously, even when I joke about it)
    StankBait said:
    That's a fine looking vessel. Have you had it hauled and looked at the bottom? With it sitting awhile I wonder what it is like on the bottom.

Not yet. I have a large list of things I plan to do when I pull it out. Things like underwater lights, reseal all through hulls, replace or update any that need replacing, install transducer, touchup and repaint everything from the rub rail down, replace the rutter and prop packing glands. I am not extremely worried about the bottom as I have taken it out a few times as well as the 5 hour ride to the new dock. In all of the riding and even the sitting I never saw in wet spots in the bottom of the boat with exception to the normal gland drip. The starboard side rutter does drip a little more than it should. I don’t plan to take it out much till all of this is done. I think it’s probable in better shape as it is in freshwater rather than saltwater. I am probable going to replace all the anodes while I have it out as well.

dave44 said:
    Kidding! My wife is my life!!! ( seriously, even when I joke about it)

Understood. I know exactly what you mean! 

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,053 Captain
    Thats a great looking boat!  Congrats on the ride!

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 899 Officer
    I'm jealous. Good job!
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,510 AG
    Beautiful. Love the lines of Post. One of my favorites.

• EnyarEnyar Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    How much did you get her for? How is the construction compared to an old Hatteras / Bertram? I was under the impression that newer Posts were more like a Ocean Yacht but that's a dang good looking boat!
    Enyar said:
    How much did you get her for? How is the construction compared to an old Hatteras / Bertram? I was under the impression that newer Posts were more like a Ocean Yacht but that's a dang good looking boat!
    I will send you  a message with the price. Don't want to advertise it in the event that I might end up selling it in the future. Don't want it to discourage folks. I don't know much about the Hatteras/Bertram. It looks like a very well built yacht. Thanks I love the lines as well. 
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    That's a beautiful boat there son.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,510 AG
    edited August 19 #23
    If she had diesel's, I'd be melting your phone.