Home General Fishing

Giant Manta Rays and Cobia

Cavanaugh68Cavanaugh68 Posts: 526 Officer
edited March 2019 in General Fishing #1
I took this video back in January 2019 out of Ponce Inlet on one of those calm west wind days, as you can see in the video how calm it was. I Was mostly just out cruising not intending to come across what I did. On the news that morning they said there had been hump back whales near by which I was hoping to catch on video. Instead I came across these giant rays, about 4 miles out. The cobia were everywhere, not  a boat in sight for the whole time, until the end when a giant yacht "tried" to get on them. (Boat was too big)  However I was by myself and torn between videoing/capturing the rays breaching or tossing  a jig to the cobia, so sorry for the camera difficulties. I did hook up with 11 cobia with two being very large. When you cast to the rays (yes, I know they are not sting rays but the Adrenaline was pumping and I was in the heat of the moment to say...LOL)  so many cobia would charge the jig that the smaller cobia would just beat the big ones to it.

Replies

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Ive seen that where the smaller ones always get the jig first while the 70 pounder stays back watching the small one get caught. Thats why he is 70 pounds.
  • frankfpfrankfp Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    Barrell said:
    Ive seen that where the smaller ones always get the jig first while the 70 pounder stays back watching the small one get caught. Thats why he is 70 pounds.

frankfp said:
    Barrell said:

frankfp said:
    frankfp said:
    Barrell said:

frankfp said:
    frankfp said:
    Barrell said:

frankfp said:
    frankfp said:
    Barrell said:

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,441 Captain
    You're a lucky guy to see giant mantas.
    Cobia are good too!
    Thanks.
  • Cavanaugh68Cavanaugh68 Posts: 526 Officer
    Has anyone ever seen one of these inshore? The other day around the bridges in NSB we thought we saw two of them. No spots on them, extremely dark colored. Just curious. They were very large. 15 to 20 feet across, we were a good distance from them. I have seen other type of rays inshore but not a manta ray.
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 177 Deckhand
    Had one get tangled in my anchor rope at Port Canaveral on the buoy line while fishing for flounder about 18 years ago...nice ride.  Fuel consumption down to zero.....it was a bit unsettling though wasn’t  sure if he was going to quit playing and go home 😳😱
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,552 AG
    I saw a large manta ray (I'm assuming) jumping in the distance of Terra Ceia Bay.  That's inshore, it's a relatively shallow bay just south of the skyway.

Captain Todd Approves

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    More likely a spotted eagle ray.  They are not uncommon around the bays and frequently jump.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,552 AG
    Saw a smaller ray today  get about 3' of air in the same spot.

Captain Todd Approves

• james 14james 14 Posts: 3,084 Moderator
    More likely a spotted eagle ray.  They are not uncommon around the bays and frequently jump.
    Must've been what I saw at Sanibel last week. A spotted ray jumped 3' out of the water just off the beach.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,972 Captain
    You'll be able to see mantas in spring-time along the coast near the Palm Beaches (and I figure points north as well...).

It really helps to be standing on the end of an oceanside fishing pier where the height above the water allows you to see better than any big sportfisher's tower (since you weren't bouncing and swinging around the way you do on a big tower)... We always looked to the north for southbounders (but you might see one going to the north occasionally as well.).. The rays we saw the most, though, (and the ones that always held cobes) were the big mud rays (big round critters - some as big as five feet across..).  The rays we marked were always within 100 to 150 feet off the beach - and back in that era (late seventies for me..) we'd heave big live pilchards or herring on short fishfinder rigs (enough lead to be able to heave, usually 3 to 5 ounces of egg sinker , and a short trace of wire - 18 to 24" - in case a toothy critter picked up a bait...) just in front of moving rays then keep our fingers crossed as the ray passed over the offering... Great fun - and absolutely do-able standing up on top of the pier... For those wanting to toss lures at passing rays (or occasionally a free swimming cobia without a ray in sight) the standard rig back then was  big one ounce "chicken feather" jig in all white... With a bit of skill you could really pick off a big cobia with a simple jig (or a jig and worm combo).  A plus was the same chicken feather worked really well when schools of bait were driven from offshore all the way back into the pier by blitzing bonita (correct name little tunny according to the IGFA...), king mackeral, barracuda - and the occasional surprise....

In those days I alternated between a microskiff and fishing on foot - wherever the fish were - but I was a lot younger then...

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Cavanaugh68Cavanaugh68 Posts: 526 Officer
    Here this should really get some of you riled up. I will bump this one back to the top so someone can scream Spam! LOL
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 844 Officer
    So far liked both videos, would of liked to see the fight with the tarpon. Keep them coming.