Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Replies

• Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    That's why it's legal to carry.........once the bat came out, I would say you were sufficiently scared for your life, and you then do what's necessary !!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,985 AG
    always keep a filet knife handy, you may get me with that bat, but i'm taking chunks with me. 
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 953 Officer
    I’d take the beaten, but stealing my rigs is a step too far
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,693 Captain
    can't belive this happened on that bridge... I always see at least a dozen folks out there... maybe they were all too scared to do anything... not sure but somebody would get cut up good if I saw that happening to an elderly man.... i might have gotten beaten up too but can't stand by and watch that $hit go down without at least trying... maybe the crowd would have jumped in and gang tackled them thug punks...  would be interested to hear the story from someone who witnessed it...
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    the hook on the end of the pole should have been used
    we need more internet money
    no one has asked the obvious question why the hell are people walking around with baseball bats at a pier???  I think those people were looking to beat someone regardless. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    Wonder why the article doesn't contain a description of the attackers.  I mean there's a lot of info there about what happened prior to, during the account.  I find it hard to believe the victims didn't relay a description to the police and possibly the reporters.  

Why would they leave out such an important detail?  Why?
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,693 Captain
    thought the same thing SodaPop... who carries bats on that bridge.. they aren't catching Cobia... and MRich my guess is the attackers had a different skin color than the victims and the media doesn't want to hurt anyones sensative feelings these dayz... this kinda stuff heats the blood..
    Must've been a generally sorry crowd at that pier for all this to go down in late afternoon and now there's no suspects.

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 730 Officer
    Did this happen on the George Crady bridge?  I’ll be there next week 😳
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 223 Deckhand
    I turned 69 yesterday....i carry 90 % of the time if someone try’s using me as a punching bag i will defend my self...i have a soft spot where i took a right hook sucker punch to the temple also a q stick to the same spot...about forty years ago ...i cant chance a shot to the temple...pity the fool!😱✌🏻
  • biglarbiglar Posts: 183 Deckhand
    edited July 2019 #13
    +1, Terry.  (Happy Birthday)  I'm 76, almost 77 now and carry 100% of the time.  Don't ever expect or want to use it, but I can no longer defend myself with my fists.  I do carry a small can of pepper spray as a 1st line of defense and don't really expect to need it, either.  If I do need 1, then the other, whoever jumps me is going to be very, very sorry.
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 471 Deckhand
    Is it legal to carry in Florida to and from fishing even if you don't have a concealed carry permit
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 953 Officer
    Florida statue 790.25.(3) legal to open carry while hunting , fishing , or camping. Big discussion if you use the search option. 
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    Yep, that's what I was referring to...open carry....that will deter a bunch.

always always ALWAYS have a fishing pole in the truck!   You are ALWAYS going fishing! 
  • biglarbiglar Posts: 183 Deckhand
    edited July 2019 #18
    Yah, open carry in the woods while hunting or fishing, but in public, I believe that FL prohibits open carry - Concealed Carry only, with a permit.  Seems reasonable to me - lots of grannies and liberals get fussy when they see a weapon.

Seriously, an openly carried weapon is going to cause concern among many, and rightfully so - they have no idea what kind of person you are or what you're liable to do.  Why cause un-necessary problems ??  Put the thing under cover.

Even out in the woods, I don't hang the pistol out in plain sight - it's tucked back semi-hidden at my right waist.  Not so much to hide it - keeps it from hanging in the brush.
  • JustDaveJustDave Jacksonville FlPosts: 194 Deckhand
    edited July 2019 #19
    biglar said:
    Yah, open carry in the woods while hunting or fishing, but in public, I believe that FL prohibits open carry - Concealed Carry only, with a permit.  Seems reasonable to me - lots of grannies and liberals get fussy when they see a weapon.

Seriously, an openly carried weapon is going to cause concern among many, and rightfully so - they have no idea what kind of person you are or what you're liable to do.  Why cause un-necessary problems ??  Put the thing under cover.

Even out in the woods, I don't hang the pistol out in plain sight - it's tucked back semi-hidden at my right waist.  Not so much to hide it - keeps it from hanging in the brush.
    The problem with this comes in when someone who does not have a CCL conceals their weapon because they are worried someone else may get "worried". Concealing the weapon would cause them to be noncompliant as they do not possess the license to do so. As long as they are hunting/fishing or coming to or from they can legally open carry but not concealed carry.
    1995 Stratos 2500WA Twin 2013 200HO ETECS! 
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,118 Captain
    JustDave said:

The problem with this comes in when someone who does not have a CCL conceals their weapon because they are worried someone else may get "worried". Concealing the weapon would cause them to be noncompliant as they do not possess the license to do so. As long as they are hunting/fishing or coming to or from they can legally open carry but not concealed carry.
    this is correct, most people dont realize if you dont have a concealed carry permit your only option while hunting fishing or camping is OPEN CARRY, you cannot legally conceal unless you have a permit just an FYI as this topic has been brought up a lot lately.
    Open carry would have likely prevented the entire debacle referred to above.
    Of course it would have been replaced by a different one when the cops were called (even though he would have been legal) and they shot him because a gun was visible and he "appeared to be reaching for a weapon."