Home General Fishing

Flesh Eating Bacteria

RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,448 Officer
Algae blooms, Red Tide and now Flesh Eating Bacteria. A young girl in Destin and a 53 yr old that died in Anna Maria.
Getting paranoid! Every time I get stung by a pinfish while I am catching bait, I assume I may lose my arm or die in a few days.
In a few years we may not be able to fish, swim, snorkel , wade, go boating, scuba dive, play at the beach..................

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,801 Captain
    Look up vibrio infection for all the info needed about "flesh eating bacteria".  The bacteria are in all warm salt or brackish waters and occasionally someone will get an infection through a break in the skin.  The lifesaving maneuver that everyone needs to remember is at the FIRST sign of an infection that might be vibrio - get to a doctor or your local ER and have  it checked out.  Make a point of asking whoever treats you to "check for vibrio".  If it's caught early it's very treatable.  Wait 24 hours or until it's going strong - then go for treatment and you might be too late... 

Watermen and others that work around the water are usually quite aware of what a potential vibrio infection might mean if left un-treated.  Most ordinary folks simply don't know about vibrio.... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,079 Admiral
    It is bad in an open cut, but much much worse (almost 100% mortality) eating it in raw oysters or scallops 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,492 AG
    We keep a 1st aid kit on the boat with iodine.   any cut gets treated immediately, and if someone has a cut before getting in the water it gets sealed as best we can then treated after.   
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • cknowles673cknowles673 MississippiPosts: 34 Greenhorn
    Flesh eating bacteria is rare, but I say just don't go in the water if you have a cut!!
    Folks like me that work on the water have wet hands all day long, folks on vacation here are wading or swimming daily - and that’s a lot of people...

Anyone can get a minor cut, abrasion, or break in their skin without the slightest problem... but if you show the slightest sign of an infection -get to a doctor,  don’t fool around, period.  What makes a vibrio infection so dangerous is how fast it grows.  Wait too long before treatment and it will simply overwhelm your defenses to the point that meds won’t help.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,448 Officer
    Someone mentioned to me once that they carry the stuff surgeons scrub with. It was some type of chemical name and not a brand although he said you could get it at the drugstore. I guess Betadine....the iodine soap may be good..........
  • Frank SFrank S Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Wife was a long time OR and intensive care nurse. She talked to a few dr's. and they had a couple good recommendations. One was Hibiclens, avail at drugstores. Another said he liked the Hibiclens, but a spray bottle of 50/50 bleach and water to use often on the boat was a good solution as well, especially if there was a wound on the hands. Either way, it can be a serious problem, warmer waters can cause the bacteria to multiply.  
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,448 Officer
    I looked up Hibiciens and that is what I was told ....Chlorhexidine......that surgeons use and you can get at a drugstore

I've read in some sites that chlorine is a strong alkali and should not be used on skin although maybe diluted. 
    I think I will be carrying Hibiciens on the boat. The odds of catching the bug are very small but when you look at the pictures 🤮😱 😱 😱😱
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,355 AG
    I use bleach..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,253 AG
    Bleach kills skin cells but who cares.  Very little.  Cuz vibrio kill them faster and worse.

Used to know this old girl up in Century, Fl once and...  

Nope, i'm on thin ice.  Ferris will destroy me if I finish.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

When we used to grouper fish a lot we washed our hands in bleach.

They're still there.

• saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    years ago I went to a doc who treated most local comm.fisherman......showed him my ''Fish Poisoning"....he said that was a common ,but a wrong term for Staph Infection..... he recommended using Lysol instead of bleach.....also said the Staph will stay in your system so be careful...had another case 20 yrs.later.......looks like Vibro and Staph are related in ways.
    Staph infections were
    very common among mates on the docks I worked on years ago... particularly on their hands.  It might have something to with every charter boat catching bait (blue runners mostly) in the “Rose Bowl” -the sewer outfall just offshore of Miami Beach.

Staph infections are a lot easier to deal with than vibrio (thank heavens)... but they are persistent and hard to get rid of.

That I know of though... the two infections are not the same at all...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 795 Officer
    So the warmer the water stays the more common flesh eating bacteria will become? We are screwed! 
    stay home then.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 780 Officer
    Vibrio is also generally found in coastal waters; farther out in the gulf you're unlikely to run into it.  Stomping around in Old Tampa Bay, keep those cuts clean.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 795 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    stay home then.
    It’s likely to have a few foot of warm standing water in it soon as well. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,697 AG
    It is way to rare of an issue to be clutching your pearls and getting the vapors ...LADIES    LOL 

I'm catching fish 260- 280 days a year... not one bit afraid.  If I see something...I'll get it handled. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Tony Roma said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    stay home then.
    that's true.
    Vibrio is also generally found in coastal waters; farther out in the gulf you're unlikely to run into it.  Stomping around in Old Tampa Bay, keep those cuts clean.
    This is why I only swim 35 miles offshore.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,040 Moderator
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Tony Roma said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    stay home then.
    that's true.
    I was expecting your next suggestion to be that he move. You're slipping.
    not feeling grumpy..
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 424 Deckhand
    Bleach has always been my go too. Nothing as ate me yet. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,089 Officer
    Bleach will stop most things dead in their tracks. Don't know about Vibrio. Don't want to know.
    Pretty simple... if you have a break in your skin and it becomes infected... and you’ve been in salt or brackish water - get it checked out at your ER or by your doctor.  Don’t wait... Catch it early and meds will
    clear vibrio most times.  Wait a day or more and they may not be able to help you... It’s that simple.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    If I ever decide to take my own life, that's how I'd do it.
    Slice my calves and go for a nice long wade.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,697 AG
    There was a news story the other day about Vibrio in Oysters on the west coast..... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 508 Officer
    If I ever decide to take my own life, that's how I'd do it.
    Slice my calves and go for a nice long wade.
    😱 Duuude, that’d be a rough way to go!

• greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 508 Officer
    Would an Antibiotic Ointment like Neosporin work as good at killing vibrio bacteria in an open wound, as say bleach or isopropyl alcohol?