Home General Hunting

results

2»

Replies

• bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    spangler said:
    Well, got home and my gator tags have arrived.  Today's been like Christmas.  Got my fingers crossed for that AD permit.  Shouldn't we be getting pref points for the AD permit too?!
    I’ve been applying for antler less permits for a long time. Not so sure how they work. I’ve never known anyone to get one. Maybe someone can clear this up for all of us.
    A long time ago in a land not so far away, doe permits were often issued even at low rates for some people to have the opportunity to harvest a doe on our public lands.  In all but a few areas this no longer happens.  But they let you check the box so that you at least feel like you have a chance.  Note: it should be considered survey results on how many people would like to harvest a doe.  They will determine how many permits may be available for an area, based on deer survey and DMU goals, then do a drawing of those selected to give a permit to.   

Going back in history a friend many years got one for GSE and did not fill it.  He have it to my brother and I.  He was frustrated on not filling it and wanted us to wait to fill it.  I do not think he even made the gate before we were dragging.  

Another time I got a burnt GSW deer permit that had the buck harvested and a doe permit.  Shot a pig and was slipping along.  Came up on a real nice buck and a smaller buck tending to a doe.  She was hot and they would not give me much room.  Finally they cleared and I took her.  They still did not want to leave.  

They may not be many issued any more but are sweet when you get one.  
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    This was the first year I've noticed, on the wma brochure, the mention of: antlerless deer by antlerless deer permit only
    And I found this today
    In late August, after reviewing deer population surveys, biologists will make a recommendation as to which areas and which hunts should receive a limited number of antlerless deer permits. Those hunters who received a quota hunt permit during the Phase I random drawing for the hunts approved for antlerless deer permits, and who answered yes to the antlerless deer question, will be included in the antlerless deer drawing.

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • gblazer12gblazer12 Southwest FloridaPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    I got a lake woodruff archery on 2 points as well. Ive been hearing its pretty wet in that area, does anybody have input if it would be worth hunting without boating to one of the islands in the West unit? Thanks and good luck!!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Only a few wmas have antlerless permits. Everyone gets entered but a vast majority of you have no chance bc your wma you got your permit for wont get any. A wma down the street has them and we have gotten them regularly. Good luck to all. 
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,452 Captain
    spangler said:
    Well, got home and my gator tags have arrived.  Today's been like Christmas.  Got my fingers crossed for that AD permit.  Shouldn't we be getting pref points for the AD permit too?!
    I’ve been applying for antler less permits for a long time. Not so sure how they work. I’ve never known anyone to get one. Maybe someone can clear this up for all of us.
    i got one last year 
    living life as i like
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 165 Deckhand
    Got my 1st choice gg and archery but no ml. Pumped for sure wma isn't far from my house and I work that area regularly. Seen a few good ones last year in a customers back yard and have seen a ton of deer on the south end of the area over the past few months.
  • Longbow14Longbow14 Posts: 93 Deckhand
    got a muzzle loader hog hunt for crew but harvest data for the place looks like big ol goose egg. how do phase two awards work? is it just left overs? or do I apply for the same spots again?
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,814 Captain
    Longbow14 said:
    got a muzzle loader hog hunt for crew but harvest data for the place looks like big ol goose egg. how do phase two awards work? is it just left overs? or do I apply for the same spots again?
    You will pick from whatever wasn’t picked up in the first round. You can only apply in the second round if you were not chosen for that weapons hunt in the first round. I f you are awarded a hunt in round 2 it won’t cost you a preference point.
  • TripleATripleA ViennaPosts: 6 Greenhorn
    It is useful, thank you!
    Longbow14 said:
    WHY WOULD YOU EVEN APPLY THEN

living life as i like
  • Mr_WatsonMr_Watson Ten Thousand IslandsPosts: 120 Deckhand
    No Gen Gun phase 2?
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,488 Captain
    Longbow14 said:
    They close off any areas that have pigs to hunting. I’ve never seen a pig track in there. 
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 827 Officer
    Longbow14 said:

crew   rhymes with slough  both aint worth a poo for hog hunting   bears or cougars now  thats another story.
    meateater said:
    Longbow14 said:

crew   rhymes with slough  both aint worth a poo for hog hunting   bears or cougars now  thats another story.
    would not waste my time for hogs at any wma in south florida
    living life as i like
    Mr_Watson said:
    No Gen Gun phase 2?
    Always a few leftovers for round 2 gun. Won’t appear if you were awarded a gun permit round one though.
    Mr_Watson said:
    No Gen Gun phase 2?
    Always a few leftovers for round 2 gun. Won’t appear if you were awarded a gun permit round one though.
    That explains it. Any big Cypress turner available for those who can see?
    Mr_Watson said:
    Mr_Watson said:
    No Gen Gun phase 2?
    That explains it. Any big Cypress turner available for those who can see?
    Anyone can see at go outdoors Florida website, click on permit availability.
    Thanks!  Now can't figure out how to return my Gen gun awarded permit so I can pick up a turner quota hunt. 
    Longbow14 said:

frankly because I didn't know you could find harvest data; I'm new to this whole thing.
    it will be an excuse to get out of the house.
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 715 Officer

i got one last year 
    Everyone gets a doe tag every year at Triple N. Not rare.

• hoggatorhoggator Posts: 442 Deckhand
    CREW during turkey hunt. They are there. These 2 sows were laying down with their litters near some bedded down cows. Just have to be in the right place at the right time.  I bet not many of those little ones are still around now. 
    got bIg cypress Bear Island for general gun. this should be a treat.