Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Big Red Snapper on deep diving plug!

JesseKJesseK JACKSONVILLEPosts: 47 Greenhorn
edited June 2019 in Northeast Fishing Reports #1
Went offshore out of Mayport Sunday morning and was east of the jetties by 7 am. Started trolling artificial plugs. Hit a few different wrecks around the 15 mile mark. Landed several Kings before the rod with my deep diving plug slammed down unusually hard and the line was racing off the reel. I knew it was a good fish, but i was extremely surprised to see a big Red Snapper come to the surface with my plug in his mouth. Im thinking my lure was diving around 25 ft and i was fishing in about 80 feet of water. I did not  know that they would come up that high to eat an artificial being trolled at 6 knots. Ive heard of it in south Florida,  but not this far north. 

Replies

• creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,142 Officer
    There are quite a few being caught on trolled pogies on downriggers at about that depth. They are all over the water column.
  • redbone440redbone440 Posts: 136 Deckhand
    A few more of these 5 day/year seasons and anglers will be catching mule snapper on flat line baits!   The red snapper will have eaten everything on the bottom and be chasing after meals at the surface.

• Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    We caught 2 in the gulf last weekend in 70 ft. on stretch 30s.
  • JesseKJesseK JACKSONVILLEPosts: 47 Greenhorn
    The strech 30 is the exact lure i was using.
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 831 Officer
    We catch snapper on the flat line all day long and at some spots don't even throw out the flat line. Last year we had the snapper up behind the boat in 87 foot of water and started tossing out small net fulls of pogies and watched snapper crash top water baits and come out of the water like they were bass chasing shrimp in the river. We have caught them on poppers and sliders when we get them up and going. I hope the water stays warm in St Aug this year, last year was tough with the cold water. My friends that fished Mayport north crushed snapper and me and the other guys I know had a very hard time getting a limit of average fish in St Aug. 
  • Yakin'Yakin' Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Last Saturday we fished out of cedar key and couldn't keep a flatline in the water more than 30 seconds and it was getting nailed by big red snapper. All of the big fish were caught up top, we even had a school of about 30 fish or so follow one up from the bottom as we reeled it in. The snapper bite as been great the last few years but i've never seen anything like that before.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 1,421 Officer
    Shut down grouper in the Atlantic and open up snapper !!!
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,796 Captain
    that's a killer pic of the lure still in the mouth!!  that's pretty cool, congrats on that! ... like cap we get em fired up in 110 feet last few years and they are getting bigger and bigger...  nothing else but an occasional cobia at this spot... no chance of anything else living there... got video of them chasing cobia jigs too.. crazy