Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tampa Bay - Black Drum Report

briankuhlesbriankuhles Tampa BayPosts: 19 Deckhand

last weekend the black drum would eat anything! Caught 10 in two days. Mostly on crab. Caught 2 on shrimp. I was using my Penn slammer 8500 with 80 lb braid and 80 lb leader, and caught most of them on that. Even caught a few keeper triple tail also under the bridge on blue crab. 

If if anybody wants to tag along with me or that does YouTube and wants to shoot some footage. Shoot me a DM on Instagram @ captofthe727. 

Tagged:

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,098 AG
    Tripletail on blue crab?  I'd like to see that!
  • briankuhlesbriankuhles Tampa BayPosts: 19 Deckhand
    Tripletail on blue crab?  I'd like to see that!
    Some how they can swallow it down! 
    How big was the crab (or half crab)?

Not doubting you, just never have heard that before -- you might have found a new secret bait and I'm curious!  :)

• josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 777 Officer
    What bridges you been hitting if you don't mind me asking. I hit the courtney campbell and bellair causeways over the weekend but once the wind kicked up the bite pretty much turned off for me.
  • briankuhlesbriankuhles Tampa BayPosts: 19 Deckhand
    What bridges you been hitting if you don't mind me asking. I hit the courtney campbell and bellair causeways over the weekend but once the wind kicked up the bite pretty much turned off for me.
    I hit up the bayside bridge just for that reason for the wind! It blocks the wind a lot so you can fish it even on a **** day. 
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,015 Admiral
    In years past I have caught many Black Drums under the Howard Franklin Bridge. Fished for drum during the day, Tarpon & Cobia at night. When I fished the Franklin there was only one bridge. 
     Loved it:

Haven't fished there in decades. Wonder how fishing at the Franklin is today? 
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 758 Officer
    Great pics. Keep on spewing you crap

There are drum at all the bridges across Old Tampa Bay.
    edited June 2019 #10
    Great to know they area still there. Thanks for sharing! 

Big, Bad, and fun to catch...
    The Franklin was completed in 1960.  Started fishing for Black Drum there even before the Bridge was completed. Extremely exciting fishing I will never forget.
    Our bait of choice...

We would catch our Blue Crabs the night before along the beaches of the CC Causeway. They, like the Drum, were extremely plentiful. 
    Would love to know how fishing is at the Franklin today.
    Many years ago it was fantastic.
     In addition to Drum we would fish for Cobia and Tarpon.
    At night when it was rough we would fish on the bottom for Cobia. Summer Trout was the bait of choice. Heavy tackle was essential as Cobia would immediately head for the pilings. Caught many huge ones there. A really BIG problem was sharks. Will never forget fighting what we thought was really big Cobia, finally getting them to the boat, hitting them with a light, and seeing this mouth full of teeth. This happened on a regular basis. 

My mentor for Tarpon fishing was one of the best... Captain Bobby Buswell:

He looks a 'little different now.  Lost contact with Bobby a few months ago.
     Anyone know if he is sill alive? 

When it was calm, with a fast moving tide, we would fish for Tarpon by securing the boat under the bridge and fishing the edge of the light line. We could see them coming from several pilings down. As they approached, close to the top of the water, we would put a large Pinfish in front of them. Watching a huge Tarpon take the bait 6 feet away from us was something never to be forgotten. Differently from Cobia we had no problem with Tarpon and the bridge pilings; the Tarpon would immediately head for open water and start jumping. When conditions were perfect it was nothing to jump 25 per tide. As long as it was calm, and the tide was moving, tide direction made no difference. 
    I wrote many articles on night tarpon fishing for various media sources all over the country. Often we would invite members of the press. This was Mr. Archie Blount, sports editor for the Tampa Times. He often won nice prizes in the Tampa  Tarpon Tournament while fishing with us. 
    Archie & I often trout fished near Bunces Pass:

The Trout fishing was fantastic. Caught plenty of really nice Mackerel there also. The Pass itself was loaded with Blacktip Sharks. When hooked they jumped just like Tarpon.
    For decades I have been concentrating on fishing the Florida Middle Grounds. Have not fished anywhere in Tampa Bay for years. I grew up fishing the waters of the Bay. Miss it terribly! 
    50+ years ago the Tarpon, Cobia, Black & Red Drum, Trout, and Mackerel fishing in Tampa Bay was fantastic. Can't help but wonder what it's like today.  

"last weekend the black drum would eat anything! Caught 10 in two days"
    This brings back so many great memories of years ago. So many memories of how lucky we are to live in Florida. 
    Thanks for sharing! 

• tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 425 Deckhand
    Has anyone ever ate tarpon? Plenty of them killed back in the day. I've never met anyone that's killed a tarpon for food. 
  • jay825jay825 Posts: 517 Officer
    I remember a long time ago my uncle in Puerto Rico had opened one up and all I remember is that it has a lot of bones and is no good for eating, this was about 40yrs ago!
    A BAD DAY OF FISHING! IS BETTER THAN A DAY HOME WITH THE WIFE!!
    No bueno!!!
    edited June 2019 #14
    "back in the day" 
    Many years ago the Tampa Tarpon Tournament was huge. Multi thousands of dollars in prizes were won. I know, I was part of it.

Problem was the Tarpon were killed. Today. as it should be, Tarpon are protected. 
    I have never heard of anyone eating a Tarpon

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 959 Officer
    I fished the Suncoast tarpon roundup
    a few times that was also a kill tournament. I don't know if it is still going on. 
    Probably not. I 'killed' many in my day. Not proud of that. 
    If I can't take it home and eat it I don't even want to fish it.
    Agreed! 
    This says it all...
    Yup!!!^^^^^^^^^
    The 'Yups'  have it!

Leaving for the Florida Middle Grounds tomorrow.  Fishing the Florida Middle Grounds defies the imagination. 
    Shame the Grounds are so far away.

Real far!
    Unfortunately way too far for most folks. Often we do not see another boat the entire trip. That's a shame; the Grounds have so much to offer. Wish more could enjoy this part of Florida. 
    We do see the GULFSTAR on the Grounds relatively often. Always a welcome sight. 

Last year I booked a extreme trip and made it out there so fast wow!!
    Lostconch said:
    I fished the Suncoast tarpon roundup
    a few times that was also a kill tournament. I don't know if it is still going on. 
    It is still going on.  All release now.

• mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    harbison said:
    In years past I have caught many Black Drums under the Howard Franklin Bridge. Fished for drum during the day, Tarpon & Cobia at night. When I fished the Franklin there was only one bridge. 
     Loved it:

Haven't fished there in decades. Wonder how fishing at the Franklin is today? 
    I fished it in the 80's for the big drum and some more in recent years. The drum are still there along with the extra bridge. One trip in 2014 they would not eat blue crab but kept hitting a silver spoon bounced on the bottom.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 959 Officer
    Used to catch grouper on the tampa side of it as a bycatch when tarpon fishing
    edited June 2019 #27
    Extremely interesting.  Thanks for sharing. 
    Fished the HF a lot in the 60's & 70's. Back then it was fantastic. 
    Tarpon:  "It is still going on.  All release now."
    Good!  Still remember seeing 8-10 at a time hanging on racks for display near Davis Islands. Put many there myself; not proud of that.