Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

ft lauderdale

bcomfortbcomfort Massachusetts Posts: 2 Greenhorn
hi all,
i will be in Ft Lauderdale starting tomorrow for a long conference at the Marriott Harbor Beach resort and hope to get some fly fishing in. I am bringing an eight and ten weight with lines from floating to intermediate to sinking. Got a ton of flies that should work for multiple species. I’d very much appreciate any advice whatsoever on where to fish. I understand the canals can be interesting with fish ranging from LMB to peacock to tarpon and snook. I’d be up for any of that. Any help narrowing down potential spots would be great. Also I think there is some jetty fishing and maybe some beach fishing nearby as well. Any help on what I might expect to find at these places and some basic advice would also be greatly appreciated.
i hope to do this mostly on my own and on foot but if there is some spectacular fishing that I should consider that requires a boat/guide please let me know!
thanks in advance for your help! This looks like a really healthy forum!
brian

Replies

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 409 Deckhand
    The Griffen Road Canal has lots of peacocks and occassional tarpon and snook. # 6 or 4 chartruse and orange clousers are deadly on peacocks. Focus on bridges and culverts.You can also walk bank to look for bedding fish. If u have time there are snook on the beaches , particularly between Jupiter and Stuart. A white # 4 clouser cast in the trough parallel to the beach is a good choice but any small bait fish pattern will work. If you go late afternoon after conferences the sun will be at your back which helps you spot fish. The drive north is worth the time and effort. 
  • bcomfortbcomfort Massachusetts Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info Troutbom. We have limited time and mobility so We’ve hit the beach in front of the hotel the past two evenings and have had a few hookups but nothing landed yet. Got two more days so there’s still hope. Thanks again for the help!