Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Overweighting a fly rod

ba24ba24 Posts: 27 Deckhand
Just curious on thoughts about putting a 9wt line on an 8 wt rod. It's not going to be permanent, maybe for a season.

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,770 Captain
    Very do-able - but it will change how your rod feels and the distance you're able to achieve...  I routinely over-line the rods I hand anglers when we're fishing small (and not so small) tarpon at night under bridges... That's because we're fishing at almost pointblank range, and my anglers can't see their lines at night, making it very hard to get your timing right -particularly when you don't even have enough line to be able to load  your rod with the right line... Over-lining allows them to load the rod with very little line outside the tiptop (very handy....).  Once you're hooked up there is no practical difference in a "heavier or lighter" fly line since they're all the same strength - right around 30lbs breaking point...

Hope this helps
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 721 Officer
    It will make you feel like a better caster.
    Of course, your fly will land harder.
    Most modern fly lines are probably somewhat over-weighted to make people feel better.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 409 Deckhand
    I think a lot depends on how your individual rod handles which lines. My TFO TRCs are clubs and do better up lining. My one high end rod, an 8 wt  Sage , throws an 8 best. An old friend(who passed last year), Jack "Bass" Allan used to up line as much as 2 or 3 sizes when bass bugging. Turned over big poppers better and, as Sunflower noted, helped his less experienced clients cast better for the short distances encountered bass fishing canals.