Home General Paddle Craft

3 More Chunky Snook on Jigs

JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 251 Deckhand
I gotta say, once you get the hang of a flair hawk jig technique for a given location, they are just plain deadly. What I really like about them is there is not much bycatch. I have had only one gafftop sailcat hit one, whereas with paddletails there are nights that I can't keep those slimy cats off. We were planning a trip up to some bridges in the Ft. Myers area, but bad weather to the north kept us down at our usual stomping grounds. The bridge did not disappoint. I landed two 35's and a 33 by 10:30 with zero break offs on the new rod and reel combo. I had 2 close calls since the kayak can still get pulled around regardless of the size of gear you use, but the added drag on the new reel definitely helps tire the fish out before they can get to structure.

My YouTube channel: JakeW KayakFishing

Replies

• NopratKoonsNopratKoons East CentralPosts: 40 Greenhorn
    Nice job on those quality snook, landing them in structure from a kayak no less.  I'm still sick from the 40" I had lipped and lost that shook free of my grasp fishing from my yak last night....nothing like snook!  I see a frabill in my near future.
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 251 Deckhand
    Nice job on those quality snook, landing them in structure from a kayak no less.  I'm still sick from the 40" I had lipped and lost that shook free of my grasp fishing from my yak last night....nothing like snook!  I see a frabill in my near future.
    I have lost a fish or two fumbling around trying to get a big one in the net and I wonder if it would have gone better if I had just put the fishgrips on them, but the net has saved more than it has lost. I love the rubber ones, very easy on the fish, and the hooks don't get stuck in them.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,952 Captain
    Solid Fish! Congratulations!

• Wra22Wra22 Posts: 197 Deckhand
    Thanks for posting video. Were the hits coming in the shadowline or up close to pilings?
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 251 Deckhand
    Wra22 said:
    Thanks for posting video. Were the hits coming in the shadowline or up close to pilings?
    One on shadowline a few yards from a piling, one between the bumpers, one right on a piling.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,340 Admiral
    You are on a roll. Keep up the good work!

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• spencernolespencernole Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Nice job! Like the videos.