Home General Fishing

Big Brimmed Hat for Sun Protection???

SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,388 Officer
I know there was a post about the best hats for sun protection. If I recall correctly, a polymer hat (rubber hat) got the best reviews. I tried the search, but no luck. Can some tell me the name of the manufacturer or name of the hat. Also, where can I go to try-on this rubber hat. Don't want to buy on-line without seeing and wearing it first. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• FritzFritz Posts: 253 Officer
    I remember that thread, I do NOT remember a rubber hat winning or even being talked up as a great idea. Would such a hat breathe? Sounds sweaty hot to me, just what I want in a Florida summer.

I do recall Tilley getting a lot of happy votes, even got me looking at then admiringly... if I could just get past the sticker shock.
  • IpbEtecIpbEtec Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    I bothered the Mail carrier until she got me one that the post office uses (I promised her some fish). I fished it 7 days. It works better than my old Ron Jon hat. The brim stays out of the way when running the boat. It has spf 50. Pretty nice hat. I need to get a patch sewn over US Mail patch that is embroidered in.

I told everybody I was "going postal when reaching in the cooler for another cool refreshing beverage"

They made fun of my hat but it works well.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    I know there was a post about the best hats for sun protection. If I recall correctly, a polymer hat (rubber hat) got the best reviews. I tried the search, but no luck. Can some tell me the name of the manufacturer or name of the hat. Also, where can I go to try-on this rubber hat. Don't want to buy on-line without seeing and wearing it first. Thanks in advance.

On the water, IMO, the brim of a hat, no matter how big or small, offers next to zero sun protection, because most of your exposure will come from reflection off the water and that will naturally hit you from underneath the brim. Your best sunprotection is going to come from a good sunscreen or a buff.
    .......Rick
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,450 Captain
    Jay has a nice sun bonnet...
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    Get a sunbuff too
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    The "Airflow" hat made by Tilly is one of the best ...
  • catfishincatfishin Posts: 976 Officer
    The "Airflow" hat made by Tilly is one of the best ...

X2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 801 Officer
    x3 for the Tilley
  • FOREVERHOOKEDFOREVERHOOKED Posts: 90 Deckhand
    I have a Sun Tamer from Cabelas great hat and cool also.
  • PP1PP1 Posts: 332 Deckhand
    I believe what you were thinking about was a Sun Tamer hat. Saw one recently and it looked like interesting. I would wear it, but I really don't give a poop about how things look, just how they work / feel. The very little I looked at it I can say it was U G L Y. A Google search gives it good reviews though. This fit on the one I saw was adjustable like a hard hat and provided airspace like a hard hat would too. I put it on my giant melon and it fit jst fine.

As far as what I have experience with, pretty much any time I'm out I wear my Tilley TM10. Liked it so much I got my wife a T2 and would highly recommend either of these, and likely most of the other Tilleys, based on these 2.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,595 Captain
    Tilley Tilley mo billy x4
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 532 Officer
    Tilly all the way best hat ever
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk