Home Ask the Law!

Can I use a Keeper Trout for Bait?

SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
They are not in season right now in Dunedin area but when they are, am I allowed to do this? There are many times I see big lunker snook eating seatrout and I have had them eat the fish while it was on the hook. I thought I read somewhere that if you catch it, this is legal it but it counts for one my 4 fish limit. I have ran into this same issue with Mangrove snapper before as well. Can I use it for bait if it does not have gamefish status and is legal size?
Catch 'em and Release 'em!
http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/

Replies

• monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    i be leave if it is legal size and in season you can use it for bait. i have used snook for shark bait before. it would count towards your limit but if ti gets eaten i think you are back to square one on your limit. lol
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    I think you can but, I have heard that you can't use blue gills for bass bait? Not sure really but I would think it is okay as long as it is legal size. You could post the question of the FWC web site under AskFWC at the top of their page, myfwc.com.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Thanks guys. Btw surfman it is legal in Florida to use bluegills for bait. However in many states it is not. I had to check that myself this spring when I was live baitin during spawning season.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
  • Indian River JoelIndian River Joel Posts: 362 Officer
    Thanks guys. Btw surfman it is legal in Florida to use bluegills for bait. However in many states it is not. I had to check that myself this spring when I was live baitin during spawning season.

Yes bluegill are legal to use as bait as long as they are caught on a hook
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881