6/15 report

headed out this morning at 4. Ramp at 6. Johns pass (ill never learn lol). Magicseaweed was not as acurate as i had hoped it was not 0-1 at 4 secinds it was 1-3 every .5 seconds so it was rough going out but i was determined. We made treasure island ii around 830 ish not completely sure.  We had pins and shrimp.  2oz wouldnt put you on the bottom. Neither would 3 so we used 2-2s which got us down there but we couldnt buy a bite.   I got a sand perch on a shrimp, a cuda followed it to the boat but it wasnt interesred in anything we threw at it. Probably waiting for ARS from better fishermen. It went hungry.  Water temp was 83 idk if the warm water pushed em deeper but i saw several boats but no bent rods.  Called it around 1030 and spent the next 2hrs crawling back at 12-14mph.  Beat up and tired we stopped at the sandbar. Had one beer and took her in tail between legs.   

Im tired.  Gonna open a bottle of lambrusco and call it a day. 
People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Replies

• harbisonharbison Posts: 3,313 Captain
    At least you got out and shared your experience. Hopefully next time around will be better. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,374 AG
    I have got to learn more. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    A willingness to learn is the first step in becoming a very good fisherman. 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 375 Deckhand
    I don't know if this will help but I used to run out of JP quite often and I don't remember it being rough like this in June. I ran a 20ft Well raft out there alot
  • jay825jay825 Posts: 516 Officer
    Dust yourself off and try again!! You can doooo itttt!!
    A BAD DAY OF FISHING! IS BETTER THAN A DAY HOME WITH THE WIFE!!
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 320 Deckhand
    Dude, If I can find fish...

How far out are you going?
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 130 Deckhand
    edited June 16 #8
    Don't sweat it. We ran at least 100 miles today round trip and also had zero ARS to show for it. Storms kept pushing us around and didn't get to fish our usual numbers as a result. You tend to only hear about everyone's best trips on here, rarely the less-than-stellar ones.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 590 Officer
    TI 2 is just over 30 miles out.  If you were fishing the wrecks at TI 2, then that was your main mistake.  The wrecks don't hold the fish that they should, and the ones that are there are too clever because those spots get HAMMERED day in and day out.  Don't fish TI 2 unless you want to play with some AJ's, and even then you need to be the first one there.

There is an abundance of really good, low relief hard bottom within a mile of the artificial reefs at TI 2.  Find some of that stuff and start fishing it instead.  It usually holds a few red snapper and almost always holds some good red grouper and mangroves.  Troll around for blackfin, bonito or whatever while you look for the hard bottom.  If you want someone to come along with you on one of your trips and show you some pointers, PM me.

I will say, from what I've seen and been hearing, most of the red snapper have pushed out deeper than usual this year.

"I will say, from what I've seen and been hearing, most of the red snapper have pushed out deeper than usual this year.
    To catch big ARS on a regular basis we are fishing 200+ feet of water. 
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,077 Moderator
    130'-140' was the magic number yesterday, and, yes, a tight 3' chop.
    If I were you Soda, I'd take up Kokosing's offer, the body of fishy knowledge he possesses is waayyyy more than the average bear, and a great guy.
    TI 2 is just over 30 miles out.  If you were fishing the wrecks at TI 2, then that was your main mistake.  The wrecks don't hold the fish that they should, and the ones that are there are too clever because those spots get HAMMERED day in and day out.  Don't fish TI 2 unless you want to play with some AJ's, and even then you need to be the first one there.

There is an abundance of really good, low relief hard bottom within a mile of the artificial reefs at TI 2.  Find some of that stuff and start fishing it instead.  It usually holds a few red snapper and almost always holds some good red grouper and mangroves.  Troll around for blackfin, bonito or whatever while you look for the hard bottom.  If you want someone to come along with you on one of your trips and show you some pointers, PM me.

I will say, from what I've seen and been hearing, most of the red snapper have pushed out deeper than usual this year.
    Thanks man appreciated.  I had heard that within a mile or two of that reef there was some better spots but this was my very first trip offshore in a 21’ bay boat and i wanted to be careful with my fuel so we didnt move around a lot. 
    The repors i saw from yesterday were that everyone was catching them further out than i was comfortable going. And the ride back was hell.  One problem i have is i dont seem to be able to recognize hard bottom on my garmin.  I need to figure that out before my next trip. 
    You tube I is full of videos just to get you started then you take it from there.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 997 Officer
    put in the time and youll learn it. youll know what worked and did not.
    Since you come down from up north , why not launch out of Clearwtarer or Anclote?
    permit_me said:
    put in the time and youll learn it. youll know what worked and did not.
    Since you come down from up north , why not launch out of Clearwtarer or Anclote?
    My daughter lives in St Pete, so we go down and pick up her boyfriend and take him with us.  My closest ramp to the house is Bayport but I don't have the range to run deep i have a 56 gallon tank so my range is about 30 miles. 
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 168 Deckhand
    30 miles?
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 375 Deckhand
    Baypines?
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,328 Officer

Thanks man appreciated.  I had heard that within a mile or two of that reef there was some better spots but this was my very first trip offshore in a 21’ bay boat and i wanted to be careful with my fuel so we didnt move around a lot. 
    The repors i saw from yesterday were that everyone was catching them further out than i was comfortable going. And the ride back was hell.  One problem i have is i dont seem to be able to recognize hard bottom on my garmin.  I need to figure that out before my next trip. 
    On my Garmin, seems the thicker the upper red line is the harder the bottom. I ran 50 miles out of Hudson and got 1 ARS @26" long. 

Fishing, the most expensive way to get a free dinner. LOL
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    Picman said:
    30 miles?
    I figured my range based on 1.7mpg 50*1.7=85 miles and I also being over careful went 30% out 30% back and 30% i was using as reserve just in case something went wrong. I didn't want to run 40 miles with 85 miles of total range, to me that is pushing it too close. 
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    edited June 17 #20
    We fished Friday and found them starting about 37 miles out right before the pipe.  Get out and drift fish till you start seeing some stuff on the finder.  Mark the spots and anchor up.  They are going deep with the warm weather.  My money spot is about 52 miles out.  Did pull a 32" Gag at 65ft last week on 6/11 on a drift with a jumbo Pilchard.   
    Everglades 243
    nice!
    Do a split gas line and put a extra 12 gallon portable tank. I just sold 3 of them on let go i wish I would of known I would've gave them to u. And only use the extra tank when you going offshore! On my Boston whaler it was a 17' but on a good day I would get out there. I had a 12 under the center counsel and 12 in the back in front of the outboard, u should try it, and only use it when u going far!
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 188 Deckhand
    jay825 said:
    Do a split gas line and put a extra 12 gallon portable tank. I just sold 3 of them on let go i wish I would of known I would've gave them to u. And only use the extra tank when you going offshore! On my Boston whaler it was a 17' but on a good day I would get out there. I had a 12 under the center counsel and 12 in the back in front of the outboard, u should try it, and only use it when u going far!
    That's a great idea. I have a 21ft Proline CC with 150 Mercury Saltwater OB, 50 Gallon tank, & a cuddy under the CC. In the 5 years I've had the boat the head has not had a single use so why not toss a 12 gallon porta tank in there and move around as needed. I even have a porta tank with a hand pump I picked up from Northern tool in Pasco for Irma a year or two back.

Genius
    jay825 said:
    That's a great idea. I have a 21ft Proline CC with 150 Mercury Saltwater OB, 50 Gallon tank, & a cuddy under the CC. In the 5 years I've had the boat the head has not had a single use so why not toss a 12 gallon porta tank in there and move around as needed. I even have a porta tank with a hand pump I picked up from Northern tool in Pasco for Irma a year or two back.

Genius
    I'm telling you that's the way to go I had 2 twelve gallon tanks on my 17' whaler with a 90hp evenrude and I would have all day to fish. Remember the bigger the boat the more gas it swallows. Just check on the tank once in a while make sure it hasn't tipped over or anything just to be on the safe side.