Home General Hunting

2019 Bear Season??

MackokidMackokid Posts: 920 Officer
Isn't this the year that FWC was going to re-evaluate their findings to see if a season could be opened up again?
"History is much like an endless waltz; the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" -Mariemaia Kushrenada

Replies

• joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,745 Captain
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,333 Officer
  • NDTransplantNDTransplant Posts: 169 Deckhand
    Florida is too liberal for a bear hunt...
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,454 Captain
    Wont be for another 20 years if your lucky . and at the rate florida is turning into cali probably never.
    living life as i like
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,206 Captain
    Not going to happen.  Despite the science and need to remove about 20% of the current population annually to prevent over populations in some Bear Management Units.  The anti hunters have put up a massive front and cowed enough state politicians that has scared the FWC commissioners (and staff) into believing any attempt to renew the bear hunt would bring a Constitutional Challenge to vote...either an Amendment to  prevent bear hunting...or even worse an Amendment making all FWC rules subject to the Legislature. (Currently the FWC can make all game rules with out review...only the Funding is controlled by the Legislature). Simply put...'killing 300 bears is not worth the battle, and probable loss"...…..This is a sad state to be in, but unless some real groundswell for bear hunting changes the minds of the State Legislature and FWC Commission, there is not going to be anyone willing to take the heat.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 641 Officer
    The only way we are getting hunting back soon is when a couple little kids get attacked and killed. 

Then their feeling will change. 

The FWC will just take them out quietly like most game management departments do.  If you want to hunt bears in all the state parks just become a game warden.  They get to shoot all kinds of stuff lol
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    N. Cook has it pegged the best that I have seen.

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,568 Admiral
    The only way we are getting hunting back soon is when a couple little kids get attacked and killed. 

Then their feeling will change. 

Nope, they will say its the kids fault.
    it'll be a moot point soon.
    The rate the available environment is being ate up (IE developed) the bears will be trapped, relocated. The problem bear gets a nuisance label. If it comes back, then I suspect they will euthanize it.

I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,593 Captain
    You guys have a better chance of seeing Jesus in person within the next second than you do seeing a legal public bear hunt in FL during the rest of your days... 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    The FWC will just take them out quietly like most game management departments do.  If you want to hunt bears in all the state parks just become a game warden.  They get to shoot all kinds of stuff lol
    Cormorants on the pond fwc stocks for kids to fish 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    they will open it right after they reopen salt water turtle season..
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    You know, those manatees are wrecking havoc on our sea grass
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • MackokidMackokid Posts: 920 Officer
    Not exactly what I was hoping to hear..... however what I was expecting to hear..... thanks for the candor.

Any meetings this year on it?
    "History is much like an endless waltz; the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" -Mariemaia Kushrenada
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,454 AG
    it closed?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 641 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    it closed?
    Closes same time as snook 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,283 Captain
    edited June 2019 #19

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • jonny550jonny550 FL, USAPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Go to Idaho, you can get two tags pretty much OTC and there is a ton of public land.  You can do the whole trip for around 1-2k.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 900 Officer
    They must have heard y'all talking about them

VIDEO: Bear spotted hanging out in Lakeland

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 10:04 AM EDT
    https://www.wfla.com/news/local-news/black-bear-spotted-hanging-out-in-lakeland/2085735307
    edited June 2019 #23
    I hold the very last way old time Baker/ Columbia Bear Hunt Permit......had no real intention to take a Bear however I made a point to sit at Osceola National Forest that last two hours of the final Bear Season..... Winchester Model 94 30/30 Trapper resting across my legs..... 
    Eventually Osceola National Forest boundary would extend North to the State Line.
    Fast Backward to the latest Bear Hunt proposal, supposedly a “ Referendum” on Florida Hunting.......too bad that That Hunt at That Time was ill conceived. Oh well, shucks just roll ourselves over endlessly Bohica.......
    Why not just support a Bear Hunt on Lands guaranteed reserved from Future Development.Huge private acreage deleted. Any lands in current “ Natural” appearance slated for development, and otherwise not foreseen as no future development, per vested interest/ county & regional & state land use parameters off limits to Bear Hunt.
    Such definition pretty much defines future  “ Bear Preserves/ No Hunt ”.

• Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    Why? There isnt any reason to limit it to just your pet project.

If they are hunted at all, it should be wherever they exist not just where you want them to exist.
    edited June 2019 #25
    Walker Dog that is not the Conservation Theme Ethic we rest on

Bear Anti Hunters way ahead of you, along with many Florida Hunters.
    Bohica
    edited June 2019 #26
    Great Idea: FWCC
    No Hunting on lands not reserved for Conservation/ Future Generations

• Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    Have fun flying that flag.

I prefer reality.
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    edited June 2019 #28

https://www.wfla.com/news/local-news/black-bear-spotted-hanging-out-in-lakeland/2085735307
    Saw on the news last night one was in Hills County / Brandon area.  Any bets on how long before it is put down and dumped to rot?  Only thing worse in my mind for those biologists that truly love the animal than allowing a hunt was to have to kill and dump only option.   What we are doing is a big waste of the resource.  Wanton waste at that.  Shh if we do not know then it is not happening.  Once heard how a dump site was discovered and gosh forbid someone took some said dumped parts.  Can not have that.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    Yeah, that's pretty sad, when they choose to forgo a revenue stream, to instead spend tax dollars, to simply waste a resource.

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,554 Captain
    bgeorge said:

Saw on the news last night one was in Hills County / Brandon area.  Any bets on how long before it is put down and dumped to rot?  Only thing worse in my mind for those biologists that truly love the animal than allowing a hunt was to have to kill and dump only option.   What we are doing is a big waste of the resource.  Wanton waste at that.  Shh if we do not know then it is not happening.  Once heard how a dump site was discovered and gosh forbid someone took some said dumped parts.  Can not have that.
    I don’t think you fully grasp the mental illness that is animal lovers. Haven’t you seen the photos and video of the elephant biologist in Africa saying he’d rather all the elephants were killed by people who cared about them than hunters?  He participated in culls where they were left to rot by the hundreds. It’s a serious sickness. 
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,206 Captain
    It is not the FWC staff opposing renewing the hunting.  It is the political considerations involved with the strong anti hunting protests and potential Constitutional Amendment  to take away the FWC "free standing" for rule making. As was said...."killing 300 bears is just not worth the risk".  Sadly, knowing that Florida voters put in an amendment regarding pigs in pens....and stopped dog racing with another...I have to agree.  The crucial FWC Commission vote several years ago to NOT renew the bear hunt the second year was a disaster for hunting rights in Florida....I was blunt in my public comments at the time.....I told the Commissioners who voted against the hunt, "You have given up the Constitutional independence of the FWC by fiat......If you do not use the "independence", you have lost it forever"....