Home Egret Boats

Looking for input

Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
I posted this in the Classified Real Estate section but I thought I’d throw it out for others to respond. You guys were a great help in helping me to decide on the Moccasin, so if anyone has any input, it’s appreciated.
I know this is pretty open ended question.
My wife and I are looking for west coast property or house with easy gulf access. I prefer to be on a canal but easy boat ramp access would work as well with our Moccasin 210, its a very easy boat to handle and trailer.
I'm looking between Tampa and Chocoloskee. This home is meant primarily to fish out of. We own a place in Pompano and live in NY where I teach. We're looking forward to fishing the rest of our lives down there once retired. I'm wondering, if any of you had the opportunity to move where would you go given these areas?

Replies

• smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 87 Deckhand
    My best advice to you is to check out outdoor resorts in Chokoloskee. My family and I have camped across the country and of all the campgrounds I have been to outdoor resorts is the cleanest, nicest, friendliest location I've been. You would be purchasing a lot which you would either put a travel trailer or 5th wheel on. I've done research and the high price point is around 250k which gets you a large waterfront lot with dock, or low price point at 40-45k which is an interior lot with no deeded dock. But to be honest, with my experience staying there having a deeded dock is not a deal breaker because there are so many slips and people that own deeded docks that don't use them. There are three separate saltwater chlorinated pools with hot tubs and bath houses that are extremely clean and well maintained. The fishing is also good because a good deal of people are afraid of navigating out to the gulf from rabbit key or chokoloskee pass. Areas are less pressured the further south you run. Another point I'll make is storm season and the stress it will bring you with owning a house compared to a lot. The lot is not going anywhere and if you have a 50k 5th wheel on the lot that's insured and the storm washes it away-as long as you have insurance-you get a brand new one with little to no money out of pocket. I've talked with several owners who lost their R.Vs from Irma, they all made out. The negative thing is, it would be very hard to live down there full time due to how remote the area is. Your a solid hour from naples. Full time living would be next to impossible for me. Good luck
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    Thank you for that! My wife and I just stayed there, except in the motel and fished with Capt. Sanders. Its our third time fishing out of there and its never let us down. The two previous times we rented a trailer at the marina. Love the place, hard not to really.. A little buggy and very remote so, full time is out of the question. Naples area would be nice. It would be a hop skip and a jump to trailer it there.
    Thanks again 

• Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 230 Deckhand
    There is an island community on the way to Marco Island called Isle of Capri. You can find some homes there that are less expensive than Marco Island. Marco Island will have a couple of condos that have marinas also as an alternative. 
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 561 Officer
    Vinny,

I fish there quite a bit but it can be a frustrating place to fish too. I went out there with Brian Sanders in Feb 2018.  If you're heading down there sometime or want to split a charter there let me know.  I have an odd schedule which means I can often makes weekdays work just as well.

I've stayed with my boat in Venice Beach once a little north of Naples and liked the area but definitely a different vibe, a little more busy, and different fishing.  My all time best snook was there on the beach one summer.
    TXWahoo
    pm me your number. I’ll be down last week of September but may head down over the summer for a couple of days as well. I wouldn’t mind fishing with ya if it worked out.
    Thanks for the input. 
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 561 Officer